|
Certainly was terrible to see all the Italian teams knocked out. I still feel optimistic about our chances next year, our squad will be stronger, and hopefully we won't have the same injury problems we've had this year, and to some extend last year.
I think Calcio reached rock bottom with Calciopoli after a decline that started with the financial problems for Lazio, Fiorentina and Parma in the early 00's. Inter and Roma haven't been great European teams, in Roma's case never, and in Inters case not in 50 years, so having the two strongest contenders weakened like that has been a big blow.
Juventus are still rebuilding, and I'm still optimistic about our chances. Fiorentina are building an ambitious team, so is Napoli despite their christmas collapse, and Sampdoria to. They might take a while before any of them can compete in CL, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Also all the teams might've been knocked out, but the English teams weren't as dominant as alot of people would like to think. Juventus got an unfair red card, in a game they dominated, ultimatly lost cause they simply weren't clinical enough, Roma lost on penalties. Don't get me wrong, it was fully deserved that the English teams won, but it wasn't THAT dominant. So I think calcio can come back strong.
Also, if the 6-5 rule gets passed, it'll be a huge blow for English football. Their complete abandonment of Brittish talent have left them in a bad shape for the future, while there are great up and comers in Italy; Santacroce, Davide Santon, Giovinco, Marco Motta are all great talents.
I can also definetly agree on the thing Jeff said. I think it's quite obvious that the 4 big teams in England are on a whole different level than the lower teams. Year after year we see the same teams qualify for champions leauge, only now have Aston Villa possed some kind of thread to Arsenal, mostly due to them letting go of all they're key players (Flamini ;] ), and injuries ofcourse. That kind of consistency only increases the 4 teams strength and widens the range between these and the lower teams.
Last edited by Christian; 11-03-2009 at 23:46.
|