Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Rossonero
We, as Milan fans, also turned a blind eye to our role in Calciopoli, which may have been engineered, but it is harmful to pretend we didn't do anything wrong.
|
I think most Milan fans are painfully aware that we most likely deserved to be punished in the calciopoli, and probably even to a bigger extent than the actual penalty ended up as. I thought it was ridiculous that we actually got punished based on the evidence put forward, as they were paper thin, but I have no illusions that we are an innocent victim of Moggis' iron fist. This is South Europe, this is Italy, and the way society works there is very much reflected in the calcio. For example are bribes a normal part of society, and that's just the way their society is. By all means, I don't defend bribes, match fixing, doping etc, and calcio (as with every league) should be clean and fair, but I have a little more understanding of how things end up as they do in these countries.
And let's not forget that calciopoli isn't the first time Milan has been "caught" cheating. And frankly, we have Berlusconi as owner, the most powerful man in Italy, and widely known to put ethics aside to get what he wants.
But then again, those who follow calcio love it despite it flaws, or maybe even because of them. There is no league in the world that is quite the same, the drama, the beauty, the scandals, the emotions. Calcio is the true mirror of our own flaws, and this extreme humanity is one of the most fascinating things about it. I prefer it over the calculated (and dull) machine that is Premier League.