![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
![]() ![]() ![]() |
Server move in the making
After a period of time of staying on a relatively expensive dedicated server it is time to move to a more, cost wise, manageable server.
I, we, have looked and discarded many server options because I think we all do our best to have a stable site where we can talk about the best team in the world. Many cheaper hosts were risky at best or wouldn't even allow a forum of this size on their cheap plans so we have settled for another server that while almost half our current cost should, crossing fingers, allow us to enjoy talking about Milan and other topics too. The actual move will probably occur sometime next week, after the season is officially over, and I will do my best to minimize downtime but experience tells me thats wishful thinking. More exact time to follow closer to the move. We still need all your support, monetary and otherwise, to make MM a good gathering place for all. Reply here or PM me with if you have any questions ![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
![]() |
Rez and I have talked this over for many moons, it seems, and we're finally ready to take the plunge and just do it. We both joined The Admin Zone, a forums for admins and owners of forums, and we immediately found this topic was already being discussed. Rez has done all the legwork on this, I will readily admit! And darn it, he's good at it too!
So this topic is to give everyone a heads up well in advance. I know people don't read announcements here, so we'll keep this topic alive for all to see. Please note he said he's going to TRY to keep downtime to a minimum, but we all know how technology is. One of us will let you know the actual date of the move! ![]() And as Rez also said, we still need contributors to help keep us online!
__________________
...not your normal paranormal.... |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
![]() |
if this new server is half the cost, what are we going to lose out on? Security? Speed?
![]()
__________________
... Is watching you ...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
![]() ![]() ![]() |
Processor and speed are the main hardware issues, AMD Athlon XP 2200 --->Intel Celeron 2.0GHz. Hopefully not noticeable overall but we have to hope the hardware is solid and eventhough I have monitored the host over the past while one can not be 100% sure about security, reliability until we are there ourselves.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
![]() |
i'm sure things will be just fine
![]()
__________________
... Is watching you ...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 06 2006
Location: Greece,Thessaloniki (Macedonia)
Fave Players: Van Basten, Maldini, Savicevic
![]() |
Rezak how much time you believe it will take you to put the new server at the worst situation?.
__________________
PAOK Thessaloniki for Ever.... |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
![]() |
Quote:
We have to make this move, no if's, and's or but's. We have a small pool of contributors who faithfully send in payments, but that amount isn't covering our costs. I cannot afford the lion's share any more and haven't been able to in nearly a year, and someone else has been contributing the balance all these months, often an amount of over $100 a month. However, there's a chance this other person will be absent from us for 2 years; I am awaiting word. if this person does indeed end up taking leave, who's going to cover the balance for us? We have had numerous appeals out to the membership for help in paying for the server. I guess people thought we were crying wolf all the time. I don't know how else to say this, but at this point it's more a matter of taking our chances and at least the forum will remain online. We were just going to make the decision and make the move and let people deal with whatever performance issues arise as a result. I mean, frankly, we're spoiled here--the slightest glitch or burp of the server and people complain. The way I look at it now, we go to a less expensive server or we see the end of MM. This is a problem I've been wrestling with for about 2 years now. I happen to think we're being foolish with our money to pay so much for a server--close to $2,000 for a year...outlandish, I'm sorry. So Rez has done some investigating for us and has asked all the questions he needs to ask, and he's chosen a server he thinks will carry our site well. I'm satisfied with his decision. It'll be scary to move again, but it's going to happen...b/c is has to happen if MM is going to remain alive! ![]() Rez....is Final Football also being moved with us??
__________________
...not your normal paranormal.... |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the EQUATOR!
Fave Players: Sheva,Zidane,Boban,MVB
![]() |
In Rezag we trust. yeah he is good at what he do, he help me in the past.
![]()
__________________
One time Van Basten said to me: Why do Milan keep winning while the others don't? I answered: Marco, we want to remain in the memory as a side that wins in a certain way, we must entertain the public because it's just not the winning that counts.' - Arrigo Sacchi |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
![]() |
Debs, i wasn't complaining ... just asking a question.
__________________
... Is watching you ...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
BANNED!
Join Date: 05 2007
Location: England
Fave Players: Amauri, Simplicio, Del Piero, Totti, Maldini
![]() |
Why not buy a Dedicated server off www.Layeredtech.com they are by far the best.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
![]() ![]() ![]() |
Giorgos, I wish I could tell you but 6 (and up) hours is easily a possibility, don't hold me to that though
humanTORCH, thanx ![]() wivstar, I actually remember looking at them earlier in the year, I will keep that mind for the future |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 06 2006
Location: Greece,Thessaloniki (Macedonia)
Fave Players: Van Basten, Maldini, Savicevic
![]() |
Rezak just tell us before to start doing it, i don't wont to try to open Milanmania one day and see that it doesn't work.
__________________
PAOK Thessaloniki for Ever.... |
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
![]() |
That's why we started this thread--tp let people know what's going to happen and also to alert people as to when!
__________________
...not your normal paranormal.... |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Administrator
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
![]() |
Rez actually thinks we could be ready as early as tomorrow to start the move!
__________________
...not your normal paranormal.... |
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
Registered User
Join Date: 04 2007
Location: Cairo,Egypt
Fave Players: san Paolo, Nesta, Pirlo and Ronaldinho
![]() |
excuse me guys and girls, but since i dont understand any thing about internet
so i have a question(not very clever in fact), does moving the server mean that the site name MM will change? |
|
|
|