AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > MilanMania > Forum News & Views

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you do if MM changes, as described in this thread
I will stay on MM no matter what 42 84.00%
I will stay on MM only if the new format carries over my registration, posts, etc. 6 12.00%
I am gone if anything changes 1 2.00%
Other, please post 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 16:52   #31

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmago99 View Post
I'm sorry but I'm a little lost here. What is exactly the issue? If the site changes to the point where it's very different from now, I'll probably not use it. For instance, I do not like the Red & Black forum....

I've only been on this site since this past summer, and love it. If financially this site cannot stay up, I certainly understand as the world is in a global depression. However, I'm not fully comprehending what the changes are as I'm not a computer expert.....
What don't you like about the Red & Black forum? Out of curiosity, may be to our benefit moving forward here on MM, I would be interested to hear what you think doesn't work there (PM me if you don't want to post publicly)



As far as our future goes:

Because of both financial reasons and (perhaps less so) time reasons I am looking to make the site run cheaper and be easier to manage. One of the things that came to my mind was to turn MM into a WordPress (+ bbpress forum or similar forum) site. Why?

WordPress (+ bbpress forum or similar forum) can run on cheaper server and are easier to manage because of the tools that come with them. The question then becomes how much different will MM be using bbpress or similar forum and if this change will be ok or accepted by users like you. All other forums will be different, from the vBulletin we are using now, but the question is by how much. To be honest my 'first consideration', bbpress, will be very different. That is why I am hesitating to jump straight into bbpress but I may have to eventually.

Hope this makes some sense, please let me know if it doesn't
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 17:28   #32

abbeyleemaniac

Registered User
 
abbeyleemaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2010
abbeyleemaniac is on a distinguished road
I will stay on MM no matter what
abbeyleemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 17:51   #33

Samaldinho

Registered User
 
Samaldinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2004
Samaldinho is on a distinguished road
I have been on this site for years, and I was personal friends with two hardcore members, and I honestly have loved Milan Mania.

I guess my question is, is it more money or time? I mean, I guess we all take advantage of the hard work that is put in, but, when it comes to money, would donations help?

I just don't want to lose the dynamic, and I, like others, prefer this place to other forums.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'd be willing to help out financially, if that's what's needed.
Samaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:04   #34

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Thanks abbeyleemaniac and Samaldinho

Samaldinho, it is more financial than time but time too. Previous attempts to have contributions have been less than successful, to make the financial thing work it needs to be long term commitments (like 2 years or more) I don't want to keep asking for contributions every other month or something like that. In the past we have had some very kind contributors but not all the time. I am not totally opposed to the idea but I don't think I should ask again especially since it seems possible to do something for less money.

Samaldinho and others, please let me know what you are thinking, all feedback is important.

I will make a sample forum very soon to give you all an idea of what I am thinking, but there is still time to talk here, so please keep posting
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 19:44   #35

Nalx

Registered User
 
Nalx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: tanah merah putih
Fave Players: San Marco, Billy, Patinho
Nalx is on a distinguished road
My two cents. I've been a mod on a forum and we too faced similar problem in the past. Financial difficulties forced us to change the domain name. There was some transitional phase where everytime you type the old URL you'll be redirected to the new one, but after that, even with all registration, posts, etc were carried over to the new forum and nothing much changed except the name and background color, things are not just the same and we basically must start everything from scratch again. Literally and metaphorically speaking.
__________________
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool --Almost Famous--
Nalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:03   #36

Nalx

Registered User
 
Nalx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: tanah merah putih
Fave Players: San Marco, Billy, Patinho
Nalx is on a distinguished road
Oh, and one more thing, I too will stay on. It'll take some time to get used to the new format whatever it is and some might not re-join but as someone said before you can't satisfy everybody. We'll add more members after winning the serie A come next May
__________________
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool --Almost Famous--
Nalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:53   #37

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Nalx, I know what you mean about changes being a risk.
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 23:44   #38

Elmago99

Registered User
 
Elmago99's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2010
Location: New York
Fave Players: Nesta, Pippo, Ibra, Rino, Maldini, Tevez, Drogba
Elmago99 is on a distinguished road
If you asked for $40-50 donations, and 10-20 members gave it, how long would that keep the site as is for?

I'd certainly be willing to help out...if others are too and will save the site for a year or two...

However, if the site changes, I'll definitely stay as a member....

I hope the forum section works well... and people can post as easy as now...

I like the setup of the forum.. the way each game is discussed,,and the conversations flow from one game to the next... the mercato sections, the player sections..

The red and black forum doesn't have a general mercato thread...it talks about specific players... some good conversations have started in the mercato thread..which wouldn't start in threads on the red and black forum..

Besides that I can't talk too bad about the other forums.. this is the first i stumbled upon in July of this year... and have become rather obsessed..the news has always been very accurate, and the analysis has been great.. it's increased my interest in Milan...

Thanks for the good work to Moderators/Administrators...

Happy Holidays to everyone..

Forza Milan
Elmago99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 00:47   #39

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Taking average of that, 15 x $45 should be good for around 2 years. Ads and admins paying for the rest. There are some questions about time and handling forum infrastructure that remain but those are not as decisive.

As far as simple posting and replying any new set up will be good too. Its what other features that may be missing. It has been suggested and I will have a sample forum soon to give an idea of what things may look like.

Members, threads and flow I hope continue unchanged no matter what happens.

Happy Holidays and thanks Elmago99
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 00:48   #40

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Folks - it's absolutely delightful to see so many fans of MM here. It makes me feel like all the hard work that reza et al. put forth has not been wasted. So, let me just say a big thank you to everyone!
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 00:52   #41

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Folks - it's absolutely delightful to see so many fans of MM here. It makes me feel like all the hard work that reza et al. put forth has not been wasted. So, let me just say a big thank you to everyone!

Yes, big thanks to all.
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 09:42   #42

Sputnik

Registered User
 
Sputnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2010
Location: Rotterdam
Fave Players: Marco Van Basten
Sputnik is on a distinguished road
I've been around MM since it's first year of operation if my memory serves me right, both as an active poster or an inactive reader.

My thoughts: the (active) members made this place flourish but it's the admins that keep it alive. It takes time and money. Still, while these things are essential, this forum would be long dead and buried if it wasn't for the love admins and members alike, show for AC Milan.

It's the passion for Milan and the joy of football we are talking about. So, whatever happens to MM, i will follow. New look and design, .wordpress or .analblog? I say bring it on, if there is no other solution.

In case a donation formula will be put on the table, i am willing to send 40e or 50e or something like that. I am not Silvio but what the hell, 45e is what i might spend for Belgian beer on an afternoon.

Now that i think of it, its the place i spent one third of my life reading and posting. So far. I know i get orgasmic for the red and black shirt and i know most of you do too. Besides, in my mind, in a strange way, i have really attached MM to my favorite team a long time ago and I would hate to see this place die.

Its a place i love.
Sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:27   #43

Kaka1899

Registered User
 
Kaka1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2005
Location: La terra della bella gente
Fave Players: Kaką, Andrea Pirlo and Paolo Maldini
Kaka1899 is on a distinguished road
No MM no Party. as long there is a MM, i will be there.
__________________
ALWAYS ROSSO
ALWAYS NERO
ALWAYS A ROSSONERO



San Paolo 600 Serie A Appearances Living Legend Grazie Paolo!

Heroes Are Remembered
Legends Live Forever
San Paolo
Kaka1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:38   #44

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Thank you for the support Sputnik and Kaka1899.

If anybody has thoughts on this and revisiting the donation idea please post. In the coming days I will be working on getting the sample forum up.
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 12:11   #45

fLame

Registered User
 
fLame's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2009
Location: Milan
Fave Players: Kaka, Pato, Seedorf, Pirlo
fLame is on a distinguished road
I will only stay if you don't allow mrki to register on the new system.

Just kidding...
__________________
always rosso. always nero. always a rossonero.
fLame is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:50.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.