AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Transfers

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 07:32   #121

kastriot

Moderator
 
kastriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2006
Location: Macedonia
Fave Players: The one and only MALDINI
kastriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meazza
sorry mate, but you're just recycling come-backs to other complaints rather than offering any sort of genuine assesment.

name me the team aiming to challenge in europe and the league with only 3 strikers?

was I dreaming or was brocchi forced into right back in the CL qualifiers, with a left back in the centre and 40 year old who has wanted to retire the last two seasons? these three positional problem have all be solved by one player have they?

Did we win anything last season? tell me which of our summer signings is going to change this? Oliveira may well be good, but he's not Sheva. Or perhaps you're counting on our team maturing because 38 is the age most players hit their peak.
Actually Costacurta in a way retired 5 years ago, its more like he was released,but than he ws re-signed.
kastriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:37   #122

Jim_UK

Registered User
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
What exactly does Costacurta offer as a player now? Nothing as far as i can see. Because of his lack of pace he runs the risk of giving away needless fouls.

Keep him as a trainer by all means, but come on enough is enough.


I'll be waiting to be criticised for not being grateful or respectful to Costacurta now
__________________
... Is watching you ...
Jim_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39   #123

Rick

Registered User
 
Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastriot
I agree with all you`re points, it makes sense, but if possible re-explain this phrase Good enough to advance to the knockout stages of the Champions League,I dont want to make wrong conclusions,
I mean good enough to advance past the group stage into the next round (knockout stage). Once you get to that point, it often depends on matchups as to how far any team can go and most teams that get to that point have a chance to win the tournament.
__________________
Forza Milan!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:46   #124

Rick

Registered User
 
Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meazza
Oliveira may well be good, but he's not Sheva.
I'll ask the question once again: who do you propose that Milan should have brought in -- realistically -- who would be as good as Sheva?

I'll just never understand you pessimists. You've not even seen the team play a real match yet, but already you're predicting doom and gloom. Why don't we just wait and see how things go before we bury Milan?
__________________
Forza Milan!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48   #125

ct

Registered User
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: On Planet Earth.
ct
This summer's transfer season did not bring smiles to my face. Neither to everybody else's too. Disappointed? Yes. Could've done better? Yes. Cursing the management's stupidity in their policy? Yes.

But this is the summer of Calciopoli/Moggipoli's Scandal. Milan was dragged into the dirt base on circumtantial evidence at best. Even though we still stay in Serie A and managed to secure our CL spot, the scandal seems to bring quiet impact that none of us might have realised. Seems the whole waiting game put our transfer policy into the backwater. Did you check Lazio and Fiorentina? They also have a low mercato rating this summer. So it's not just us.

Juventus did not want to sell their players to us. No matter what we do, they won't. Zambrotta explained how he wants to move to Milan (his agent had a talked with Milan management), yet, Juventus shipped him off to Barcelona. And after Zlatan's case, I don't think we want to do any deal with Juve anymore.

Gallas's case is absolute mystery. We should include him in the Sheva's deal, yet, we don't. Hence, the cursing part. Seems everyone is sleeping. That was bad.

Others? Bonera did earn a couple of caps with Italy. And I still hold a firm believe that those Itallians know a defender when they see one. Though I wish we could have at least another one, say, Barzagli or Oddo. Gourcuff? I like what I saw. But I don't know whether he has enough playing time to develop his game further. I hope he would, as Kaka seems to get more selfish after Sheva has gone.

Strikeforce? No one can replace Sheva. The sooner we get the believe into our heads, the better. But I do insists we need a second forward, as both Gila and Pippo are box-type strikers. If the opponents manage to cut Kaka, then, our strikers will find themselves useless in some situtations. The Oliviera purchased could give us more option in attacks. So what if he's not popular? I just want him to work well with our current strikers. A goal or two under his name will not hurt anyone ('cept for the opponents).

So yea, our transfer season sucks. But I think we managed to cover 50% of our weaknesses, (another fifty is defensive liability) and here's hoping the eleven players on the field will do their job.
ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:52   #126

kastriot

Moderator
 
kastriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2006
Location: Macedonia
Fave Players: The one and only MALDINI
kastriot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I mean good enough to advance past the group stage into the next round (knockout stage). Once you get to that point, it often depends on matchups as to how far any team can go and most teams that get to that point have a chance to win the tournament.
But dont you think that we should have made a team that theoreticaly would bring us at least to the semis. Because past years we were considered first or second favorit, i know that theory doesnt mean a thing, But we are milan,we shouldnt care about the matchups, we should be more like this: bring Us Barca and Chelsea,we dont care will kick their asses, I know I was liket his last year, and this year I was scared even for the opponents in group stages( before being given)
kastriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:00   #127

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastriot
But dont you think that we should have made a team that theoreticaly would bring us at least to the semis. Because past years we were considered first or second favorit, i know that theory doesnt mean a thing, But we are milan,we shouldnt care about the matchups, we should be more like this: bring Us Barca and Chelsea,we dont care will kick their asses, I know I was liket his last year, and this year I was scared even for the opponents in group stages( before being given)
This is alarming. I seriously don't see how any people can come to the conclusion that Milan will suck so badly. This happens almost every year after the transfer season, that some people will be whimping about how bad the trasnfer is etc etc that we didn't get torres or tevez etc etc...

Guys let's be realistic. There is probably no one in th world who can replace Sheva, and the mindset is all wrong here. You don't replace a player; you bring in another player to build a team.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04   #128

midori

Registered User
 
midori's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Florida, US
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo, Boban
midori is on a distinguished road
Jim, shame, you should be more respectful to your elders! There, happy now? I think even among the everything is fine crew we can all agree Billy should be left to subbing in 87th minute put-away matches, with all due respect. Btw, in a previous post you mention "will Max leave next year?". Just was wondering where that came from. I know his injury issues have been a constant problem, but despite his earlier loans he's one of the few players I've always considered would probably finish at Milan.

This transfer season has been one of the strangest, definitely, whether the worst remains to be seen. I'm not even going to pretend I understand our motives and actions, but at this point the only thing that remains is to hang tight and hope for the best. (Well, I could spend from now til January bemoaning our lack of activity but that's too much of a downer for me). Helpful now, at least for me, would be for Braida and/or Galliani to have an in-depth interview explaining our moves/lack of. There is always so much more going on than what we see and I would like to hear their persepctive.
__________________
Imagine a life, lived here without you
midori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07   #129

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK
What exactly does Costacurta offer as a player now? Nothing as far as i can see. Because of his lack of pace he runs the risk of giving away needless fouls.

Keep him as a trainer by all means, but come on enough is enough.


I'll be waiting to be criticised for not being grateful or respectful to Costacurta now

That's a very smart way to leave a backdoor Jim lol

To answer your question: 1) We all don't know as far as we can see, because all we see is on the field; there are a lot more happening off-field.

2) why are we talking about him in the first place? He's not even considered to be a started when Maldini, Kala, NEsta, Serginho, Cafu, or Bonera is around. There is no point in discussing him just like there is no point in discussing fiore or Kalac.

3) he offers experiences (in terms of defense) and leadership in the team. You can have Shevchenko in you team with little leadership (I assume, how can you have a leader like that anymore lol); or with Gattuso who can't score but with better leadership?

Remember, when asked who spoke the most in the dressing room the first (or second hyear) he came to Milan, Kaka said it was Costacurta and Maldini.

4) NOw this is something a lot of MIlan fans take for granted. Milan's management is special (and stupid if you like) in the way that it seldoms sell any important player unless the players want to. It's always the case even when the player is important (i.e. Shevchenko). If he wants to leave, then go. IF you want to stay and Milan still considers you as useful, stay. If rui wanted to stay, Milan would have kept him. If Costacurta says he wants to leave, then leave. The fact that Costacurta is a symbol of MIlan like the way Maldini did is important not just to the team but also to Milan image.

5) MIlan has great trust in its milan lab. If data show that Costacurta is done, he is done. I can'gt remember how many years Maldini was told to be too old; in fact, Inzaghi had been 'old' for almost 2 seasons now lol.

hope this may potentially help you understand the role of COstacurta in the team.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:09   #130

Rick

Registered User
 
Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastriot
But dont you think that we should have made a team that theoreticaly would bring us at least to the semis. Because past years we were considered first or second favorit, i know that theory doesnt mean a thing, But we are milan,we shouldnt care about the matchups, we should be more like this: bring Us Barca and Chelsea,we dont care will kick their asses, I know I was liket his last year, and this year I was scared even for the opponents in group stages( before being given)
Theoretically Chelsea should have reached the semis last year, but they drew Barcelona and one of them had to lose. While it does appear that Milan should have little trouble advancing past the group stage, you can't just automatically assume that any team will make the semis. If Milan were to draw Barcelona in the opening round of the knockout stage, could you guarantee that any Milan team would advance? Of course not. It just doesn't work that way. Just as sometimes you have underdog teams like Liverpool and Porto advancing through and winning the tournament, you also sometimes have the best teams going home a bit earlier.
__________________
Forza Milan!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:11   #131

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
I went to soccernet and take a look at MIlan's defense last year: number of goal conceded: 31. Juve: 24; Inter: 30

That is, in terms of defensive weakness; Milan ranked worse, but is basically the same as Inter anyway. Juve has an amazing season, so they did win the scudetto (before scandel).

What am I trying to say? Last year there were so many people bombing the Milan management for not buying another defender and Milan would have been be in trouble. Then what?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:12   #132

meazza

Registered User
 
meazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Fave Players: maldini
meazza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I'll ask the question once again: who do you propose that Milan should have brought in -- realistically -- who would be as good as Sheva?

I'll just never understand you pessimists. You've not even seen the team play a real match yet, but already you're predicting doom and gloom. Why don't we just wait and see how things go before we bury Milan?
I would think though, if you lose the world player of the year and your consistent top striker you don't replace him with one reletively untested player and release someone else. what if Oliviera's not so great, what if one of inzaghi, gila or oli gets an injury for a month or more??? we're in situation were we have to play the same 2 strikers over and over again until they collapse.

I have to re-emphasis Jim_UK's point. While Torres would have been nice, I didn't want them that desperately. Had sobis or iaquinta came that would have been fine, similarly at the back, Oddo is not a big star, Gallas wanted away, Barzagli was on the move 1 or even 2 of those guys would have also been great. Obviously Chivu or what not would have been cool but I'm expecting the impossible, just sensible re-inforcement.

add to all this I'm not 100% convinced of Kaka's loyalty should we start slipping down the table, anything less than a CL semi and 2nd place in the league again and I feel he might start pushing for a transfer. especially if there is the interest in him that there was this summer.
__________________
I've had Delia Smith.
meazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:15   #133

Jim_UK

Registered User
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
Due to lack off opportunities midori, Ambrosini has talked about leaving quite a few times over the past few seasons. He is Milan through & through, but he want's to play regular football and that battle just might win out in the end if he continues to be used as a sub or only when there's an injury to one of Seedorf, Pirlo & Gattuso.

Thank you midori, i feel much better after a strict telling off from you .. hehe
__________________
... Is watching you ...
Jim_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25   #134

Rick

Registered User
 
Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2006
Location: Virginia Beach
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meazza
I would think though, if you lose the world player of the year and your consistent top striker you don't replace him with one reletively untested player and release someone else. what if Oliviera's not so great, what if one of inzaghi, gila or oli gets an injury for a month or more??? we're in situation were we have to play the same 2 strikers over and over again until they collapse.

I have to re-emphasis Jim_UK's point. While Torres would have been nice, I didn't want them that desperately. Had sobis or iaquinta came that would have been fine, similarly at the back, Oddo is not a big star, Gallas wanted away, Barzagli was on the move 1 or even 2 of those guys would have also been great. Obviously Chivu or what not would have been cool but I'm expecting the impossible, just sensible re-inforcement.

add to all this I'm not 100% convinced of Kaka's loyalty should we start slipping down the table, anything less than a CL semi and 2nd place in the league again and I feel he might start pushing for a transfer. especially if there is the interest in him that there was this summer.
1. Milan did not lose Ronaldinho, who has been the World Player of the Year the past two seasons. He plays for Barcelona. Shevchenko finished third once, but that's it.

2. Most teams have a difficult time if they are beset with injuries. Arsenal made it to the final last year, but do you think they would have without Thierry Henry? You can't just assume that players will suffer long-term injuries.

3. Milan had their reasons for not buying all of the players you mentioned. Bonera is a sensible reinforcement. There is another transfer period in January.

4. Do we really have to go through the Kaka kaka again? What does the guy have to do? He signed a contract through 2011 and has said repeatedly that he loves Milan, he's very happy at the club and he has no desire to leave for Real Madrid or anywhere else. Why do some of you choose to believe the clown Calderon before you believe Kaka?
__________________
Forza Milan!
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27   #135

mzk57

Registered User
 
mzk57's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2006
Location: Madak Lasht, PK
Fave Players: DM10 PM3 AN13 JZ4 GB9 FL8 PN11 WS10 DV7 JDT & KJH
mzk57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK
Why is it whenever someone expresses their concerns about the squad, the constant reaction by the "All is fine" brigade is that whoever expressing these concerns MUST want "big name star" players. I don't see many people calling for a glut of star players, they just want players to improve our squad.

Everyone has their opinions and all that, but i don't see how our midfield is the strongest in the world. PSV, Lyon, Barca ... their midfield's were all superior to ours when we played them. Our midfield isn't physical enough and it isn't fast enough and this will seem harsh as Seedorf has played well in pre season, but i don't think he's that amazing at keeping the ball. Maybe i was just unlucky, but the times i saw him last season he was horribly inconsistent.

So what if we have an injury to our midfield 3? None of the other midfielders are even close to replacing them in terms of skill. We're fine for brute force in Brocchi & Ambrosini, but in terms of creativity and finesse we have no one. But it's ok we don't need reinforcements to the squad apparently.

I won't bother going into detail with the defence as it's been done 100 times before, but it's the same scenario. If you play a certain style, you need the back-up players to be of that same style and offer the same qualities as the first choice defenders. Ours do not.

I just find it totally amazing that so many people are happy to gloss over the glaringly obvious weaknesses in our squad. Wether you like it or not at some stage we're going to have to buy a huge amount of players to replace the ones that don't quite cut it or about to leave/retire.

We all seem pretty agreed about needing a right-back to sub Cafu, now with Cafu gone next season, doesn't that mean we would need 2 rb's? As whoever the new rb would be, would be expected to play the whole season and if whoever this new guy is gets injured, we'd still have no suitable replacement. Favalli is a stop gap, Serginho may leave and i can't see Jankulovski accepting another season with us if this season he's played sporadically again, so that's at least 1 left back. We would need at least 1 cb if not two. There's 4 players already. We would need a new gk, if we were that sure of Abbiati we wouldn't keep loaning him out all the time. Even if he does come back we would need a suitable stand-in as no one can argue Kalac or Fiori are good enough. That's a possible 5 players.

Will Ambrosini stay another year? Will Brocchi still be with us? Whether you like to admit it or not the midfield needs new blood and it could be quite conceivable that we would again lose squad players which would need replacing. Don't even think about suggesting Foggia or the like could play there, we know that won't happen.

Well that's 6 players right there. This is without mentioning the strikers or other players that might leave. We could pick up some freebies again, sure that would be economical but lets face it, if you want to get quality players (wether they're stars or not) you have to pay quite a bit. So now all of a sudden we could be spending a fortune and maybe, hopefully, it'll sink in to those who don't realise it that buying 1 or 2 of these players this summer would have saved us in the long run.

So it's not about Football manager or any of that Bull!

What exactly u r trying 2 say?????????
__________________
On 3-7-2010 I thought I would quit watching football, but lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

"WHY so serious?....." Let's put a SMILE on that face! "
mzk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:43.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.