AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Games & Tactics

Notices

View Poll Results: how do you rate Leo's performance this season?
wonderful! without him, we wouldn't make it to Europe. 20 37.74%
Good, but not spectacular. 25 47.17%
An average performance, considering the resources at hand. 4 7.55%
poor, but he was really unlucky with injuries. 1 1.89%
he has to go!!!!! 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 14:46   #46
Revolver

Revolver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siregar View Post
Good view ACMILAN1983. I agree with you.

It's interisting about defensive job for midfielders especially forwards. Is it more because of the player characteristic (Pato lazy to defend just like Ronaldinho, etc) or is it more because of the coach's voice (the order of the coach)? Messi helped to defend a lot, so does iniesta. Such offensive players still manage to do defensive task. I still haven't found any example similar to Ronaldinho but I do think the coach could 'force' the forwards to defend (telling the forwards to help to defend). Forwards don't need wonderful defensive skills, what they need to do is just move back, cover the free area infront of the midfielders and chase the ball if the player with the ball is near that forward.
See, there're two ways for attackers to "defend":

1. To press opposition's defense high up the field;

2. To really defend by covering space like midfield defends and, of course, like defense defends.

Leonardo uses the first way, i.e. attackers need to press opposition's defense carrying the ball. Second way is counter productive in his system, because of high defense (i.e., too many players on a little space). Barcelona also uses first way of "defending". For example, you can often see Messi chasing down players on opposition's half, but you will never see him chasing them into his own half. On the other hand, Inter uses second way, where wide attackers (only them, Milito doesn't have a defensive duty) are initially set to defend in their own half.

But, there's a difference between how it needs to be and how it is. Why our wide attackers don't defend is because their laziness but more because Leonardo can't persuade them to do everything he wants from them. I mean, if a coach can persuade Anelka to defend, I don't see any player who can't.
Old 13-05-2010, 05:47   #47
shegs

Fave Players: Shevchenko, Ronaldo and Bergkamp.
shegs is on a distinguished road
The results so far suggest that there'll be more tears than cheers if (when?) Leo leaves. Oh well ...........
Old 13-05-2010, 06:38   #48
mzk57

Fave Players: DM10 PM3 AN13 JZ4 GB9 FL8 PN11 WS10 DV7 JDT & KJH
mzk57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't worry Shegs, we two will cheer his departure

"WHY so serious?....." Let's put a SMILE on that face! "
Old 14-05-2010, 10:32   #49
Reza
Administrator

Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
He has gone now, will close this poll and thread shortly.

Can use http://www.milanmania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26584 for further discussion about Leo