AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > MilanMania > Forum News & Views

Notices

View Poll Results: What will you do if MM changes, as described in this thread
I will stay on MM no matter what 42 84.00%
I will stay on MM only if the new format carries over my registration, posts, etc. 6 12.00%
I am gone if anything changes 1 2.00%
Other, please post 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35   #1
Reza
Administrator

Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Just so you know

EDIT: This thread is copied form a conversation in the moderator's haven forum. It is NOT about asking for contributions, because that hasn't always worked and that's ok, really is. Ads have paid for some of the costs and contributions too but it goes beyond that because it takes time too.
I will add a poll to this thread so if you don't feel like replying at least vote. Thanks

I have been thinking and communicating with Debs about the future of the site.
I know we have done this kind of thing before but thinking about it again is not a bad idea.

We want to try to keep the site alive forever, we hope to.

I will post more in the coming weeks, in the meanwhile if anybody reading this has any thoughts please reply

Last edited by Reza; 16-12-2010 at 13:41.
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:54   #2
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road
What's up reza? is it about financial issue?

Perfect: acmilan; MM

OK: Channel4; calciomercato; tg.com; La Gazzetta

Awful: Corriere; Tuttosport; tuttomercatoweb

Worst: tribalfootball; goal.com
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 15:37   #3
Reza
Administrator

Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Mostly yes. It's not always easy time wise either.
Old 04-12-2010, 15:52   #4
Reza
Administrator

One of the ideas is to turn the forum into a blog like system where any of us can post articles and every one can comment.
The difference is that a blog like site running WordPress or similar is cheaper to run and host (less database and server intensive, etc.) and takes less time to manage too (backup, update, etc.)
Old 14-12-2010, 12:46   #5
Reza
Administrator

Update:

I am leaning towards moving the site to a WordPress/bbpress or WordPress/buddypress combo. bbpress and buddypress are lightweight forums similar to vBulletin but less features.

The thing is that it is not likely possible to transfer posts and username/passwords from this vBulletin to bbpress (or buddypress). So we may end up leaving this forum as an archive and starting kind of new on a bbpress (or buddypress) forum.
How many people will 're-register' is going to be the big question. Don't want to lose even more active users. Another update soon and then I will post about it publicly.

For those interested, these are the software I am talking about, these are easier and cheaper to manage than what we have now:
http://wordpress.org/
http://bbpress.org/
http://buddypress.org/
Old 14-12-2010, 22:34   #6
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road
Reza,

Will have to see what it will actually look like to make a decision.

Regarding the transition: It might be better to have a 'beta' so that people can try out, and then announce a day when this forum will no longer become active. In this way, people will have the opportunity to experience the new website and get used to it.

Another way to ensure that we don't lose people is to help THEM set up an account: we can ask people to do it early and I'm happy to take the initiative to go through the pain. Two reasons behind it:

1. Doing so makes it easier for people to switch, obviously.
2. Doing so shows that we APPRECIATE these members, and we know that people tend to reciprocate when they are 'helped'.

Of course, it takes time, and so it makes sense to do it early. Note, however, that this method won't work if it requires email activation.

Let's talk more about strategies to make the transition from MM to bbpress etc. the easiest. I think we still want to make this feel like a 'home'. That's key. Just a blog may not be enough because it sometimes make me feel like I'm not at 'home' anymore (which is my initial objection to the idea - but of course, if money is always a concern, then let's make it happen and make it good).

-j
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 09:26   #7
Reza
Administrator

Thanks for replying Jeff.

I will have something that gives a good idea of how it looks like soon. Then later we can have a period where this forum is running and that one is running too, to give people an idea of how it is. Help them as much as we can. Before all that I will post publicly explaining what I have said here.

There will be a forum, not just a blog, but the forum may not have any way of transferring accounts or posts. So this forum can stay for a while after, but closed/read only. That is basically the problem and we may have to find ways and also hope everybody moves to the new setup.
Old 16-12-2010, 14:27   #8
GeoTav

Fave Players: Almost all AC Milan players
GeoTav is on a distinguished road
I don't really know the MilanMania website, only the forum, but maybe, to give a new life to the whole website (site + forum), you could use:

- Wordpress or Joomla, linking the first page to the RSS of the best Milan related websites (TMW, Milan News, others ?) and maybe making a category about Serie A/CL (with the RSS too) ... that would encourage to connect on the website and not only on the forum, because all news would be written there, without having to go on other websites. Until now, this idea doesn't change anything, but maybe adding one advert popup (just one, at the first visit of the day) could already help.

- PHPbb for the forum, to be able to keep the look of this forum, with the same kind of options but probably "light-er" than Vbulletin ...

Don't know the situation in other countries and I'm not aware of the new hosts in France, but there is maybe a way to find a free host or really not expensive one, I know it was possible in the past in France, I'll check.

PS: With a new forum, to be sure to have some of the members (the ones who hesitate to register again) coming, just create the most popular topics of the current forum ? That will probably bring some people there ...

Serie A Fantasy League
The topic on MM
The avatar to use by MM members

Last edited by GeoTav; 16-12-2010 at 14:31.
GeoTav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 21:12   #9
Reza
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTav View Post
I don't really know the MilanMania website, only the forum, but maybe, to give a new life to the whole website (site + forum), you could use:

- Wordpress or Joomla, linking the first page to the RSS of the best Milan related websites (TMW, Milan News, others ?) and maybe making a category about Serie A/CL (with the RSS too) ... that would encourage to connect on the website and not only on the forum, because all news would be written there, without having to go on other websites. Until now, this idea doesn't change anything, but maybe adding one advert popup (just one, at the first visit of the day) could already help.
That is basically what I am thinking, WordPress is my preference because I have lots of experience with it. It will give the 'front page' of the site a boost too as you say

Quote:
- PHPbb for the forum, to be able to keep the look of this forum, with the same kind of options but probably "light-er" than Vbulletin ...

Don't know the situation in other countries and I'm not aware of the new hosts in France, but there is maybe a way to find a free host or really not expensive one, I know it was possible in the past in France, I'll check.
phpBB won't be much better than vBulletin, at least with vBulletin we have a more robust forum.
Less expensive or free forums (Yes they exist, I know a few and I am sure you can find even more) usually make for more down time and less power to do things like upload attachments for example.
In most cases we can't transfer our users/posts from here to them, but my plan almost certainly has that same problem too that's why I put the second option in the poll.

Quote:
PS: With a new forum, to be sure to have some of the members (the ones who hesitate to register again) coming, just create the most popular topics of the current forum ? That will probably bring some people there ...
If I can't transfer posts and users automatically I will re-create some manually.

Thanks for posting Geo, please reply if anything else comes to mind.
Hope more people read, vote and post too.
Old 17-12-2010, 05:44   #10
LebRN

Fave Players: Nesta, Pato, Thiago Silva, Flamini
LebRN is on a distinguished road
Reza, to be honest, i'm not that good at this stuff, but as long as it is something simple and clear like this site, I'll sure be joining there as well

Oh and thx for your efforts mate and anyone else involved
LebRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 09:42   #11
Reza
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebRN View Post
Reza, to be honest, i'm not that good at this stuff, but as long as it is something simple and clear like this site, I'll sure be joining there as well

Oh and thx for your efforts mate and anyone else involved
Thank you Will try to do something that works well and is simple
Old 19-12-2010, 09:18   #12
Mystik

Fave Players: Kaka, Pato, Messi, Iniesta, Nesta, Gourcuff, Cesc
Mystik is on a distinguished road
Once there's a forum with the MilanMania name and the same people, I'll definitely be joining without a second's hesitation so count me in.
Mystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 13:31   #13
Reza
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post
Once there's a forum with the MilanMania name and the same people, I'll definitely be joining without a second's hesitation so count me in.
Thank you.
Old 21-12-2010, 05:37   #14
Sputnik

Fave Players: Marco Van Basten
Sputnik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post
Hell yes....
Sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:21   #15
Reza
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Hell yes....
Thanks Sputnik