AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Players

Notices

Old 17-01-2005, 02:50   #31
Giovanni

Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
I heard that there's a new novel on Paolo, written in Senegal, and it tells about a child who plays football and all his life travels with a dream: meet Paolo. He sees him as a model and an idol and i think it's quite nice to hear that Paolo gets such respect.

Surely he's taken the defensive roles to a new dimension..he has showed how glamour and great defenders can be.

Yesterday on the stage in that show there were some important former players and journalists, and everyone said sincerely they were proud to be on the stage with Paolo, called "the italian football legend".

DOWNLOAD THIS MALDINI COMPILATION

It should be nice, i haven't watched it already

http://www.footballclips.net/xandru/Compilations

then download from the Maldini link

Last edited by Giovanni; 17-01-2005 at 03:17.
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 08:24   #32
Maldini_Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachtot
How about Lilian Thuram who got WC '98 & Euro '00.
One of others nominee, I think...
his performance is not as consistent as Maldini ..... he struggles in Juve now
Old 17-01-2005, 08:26   #33
Giovanni

Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachtot
How about Lilian Thuram who got WC '98 & Euro '00.
One of others nominee, I think...
Let's not use words of blasphemy, please.
Old 17-01-2005, 11:20   #34
Gemma

Gemma has disabled reputation
Gio,

The Maldini compliation was indeed very nice, its just a shame they chose to use a piece of music known in my part of the world as "Time to say goodbye"!!
Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2005, 11:44   #35
Giovanni

Gemmina, the italian lyrics has nothing to do with maldini..it tells about a man that is in love with a girl

"Con te
partiṛ
paesi
che io non ho mai
veduto e vissuto con teeeee..."

means

"with you
i will leave
for countries and cities
i've never seen with you bla bla bla"
Old 17-01-2005, 11:47   #36
Gemma

yes gio, this i know, i just thought that it was an odd choice of music as was dont cry for me argentina!
Old 17-01-2005, 13:26   #37
Franco6

Fave Players: Van Basten Baresi Maldini Gattuso Nesta
Franco6 is on a distinguished road
Yesterday on tv showed parts of the film which Gio told you about some days ago.

In it there where clips of Paolo when he was a young boy and won the football championship of all schools in Milan.

He also says that the most stressing week of his career was the week in which there was the Champions league semi final with inter. He is from Milan and as a team captain Paolo felt the stress a lot.

Well to be honest even for me as a supporter the 2 games vs inter where horrible for my heart beat.

Then Maldini spoke about the final vs Juve where he was capitain and raised the cup 40 years after his father in england.

In this film there are clips on his elder son Christian, which to tell the truth, the way he runs is like that of his father when he was 8
Old 17-01-2005, 13:53   #38
Giovanni

yes it's a shocking resemblance between Paolo and the elder son..he looks like Paolo at the same age, after watching the videos of both at the same age..
Old 17-01-2005, 16:15   #39
Haroon

Haroon is on a distinguished road
For me there have been 3 main defining moments for Maldini. There are people who are born leaders. There are people on whom leadership is thrust upon and then there are people who become leaders due to the circumstances.

In Maldini's case he has been involved in all three scenarios. Milan had a dire Serie A campaign with a miserly amount of goals scored in '93/'94 and now they were facing a very good FC Barcelona side in the final. A Barcelona side that was very smooth in playing superb footie. A Barcelona side led by legendary Dutch master Johan Cruyff and a side possessing the best South American striker in the world at the time in the shape of Romario de Souza.

Milan wasn't scoring enough while Barcelona was scoring freely. The FC Barcelona side was nicknamed "The Dream Team" and it did have fantastic players in all honesty. The problem Milan had was that Billy "The Kid" Costacurta and captain Franco "Inimitable Bandiera" Baresi were suspended for Milan's biggest game in the calendar year. (Who knew that Italia would make the final in the Rose Bowl, Pasadena a few weeks later )

Good players play awesome games when the team needs them. Great Players define the games when the team needs them. The Don Fabio Capello didn't have a Marco Van Basten by his side. He didn't have the The Kid now. And to make matters worse the Greatest defender was not there. A team's central defence defines its defensive solidity. Milan whose season was reliant upon strong defence and a few goals was without its ultimate shield in the shape of two of the finest defenders this game has graced.

Maldini was thrown into the deep end. He did not fail to deliver. Barcelona failed to score in that game. Barcelona had a tough time creating anything as the Milan side had upped the gear.

Maldini had become a leader due to the circumstances and did the position justice.

---

The second instance came a few weeks later when Italia played their opening game against the Republic of Ireland in New York. It was a terrible start as Italia lost 1-0 and Baresi was injured. The injury made Baresi's return doubtful. The leader was out. Somebody had to step up. This is when Maldini raised his game to another level IMO. Players who shift gears and get better and better as the tourney progresses are the great ones and Maldini did just that. Italia scraped through by being one of the 4 best sides in third position. Thankful to the Divine Ponytail who came into his own as the tournament progressed.

Maldini and his Azzurri side made the final in the Rosebowl, Pasadena and were facing upto Carlos Alberto Perreira's Selecao outfit that had been pretty good in the tournament. Not the authoritative flashy Brasil of '82 or '70 but a solid outfit nonetheless and the best side in the tournament! The win over Nederland was a great one for them!

Once again Maldini was up against Romario and once again Romario failed to score. Baresi did make a return for the final but only just. That game went on to penalties which Brasil won eventually.

This tournament had leadership thrust upon Maldini and he didnot fail once again. The Summer of 1994 was bittersweet for Maldini as within weeks he went from a European Cup Winner with his beloved Rossonero side to a silver medalist in the Biggest trophy of a player's career. IMO it was the year that defined PAOLO MALDINI.

---

The third moment was the UCL 2002-3 which Milan won. Milan had had problems in defence and the acquisition of Nesta took the Milan side to another level. Milan had spent considerable amount of money in two Summers to acquire the services of some truly exceptional players who as yet had not played together due to injuries. And it finally gelled. Milan had an extremely good first half of the season winning the Group Stage 2 of the UCL, leading the Serie A and even kicking off Group Stage 2 with two vital wins against Real and Dortmund. Everything was rosy and nothing could be better.

But ... what goes up must come down. The tables turned badly as Milan experienced one of the worst second halfs of the Serie A season barely registering any points so much so that the Scudetto was in the hands of Juve. The UCL was a ray of hope but it seemed to be on a knife edge as well due to Milan's sudden lack of goal-scoring problems.

Milan however did reach the final once again. And it was no ordinary final. Milan had eliminated cousins Internazionale in a nail-biting finale to the 2nd leg and then reached the final in England. Manchester's Old Trafford stadium was to be the host and the rival was from Northern Italy, none other than Juventus FC.

It wasn't just a UCL up for grabs. It was Milan's ticket to re-emerge from obscurity into the limelight. It was Milan's chance to complete the Serie A set by defeating two of the big rivals in Serie A and it was Maldini's chance to lift the trophy as CAPTAIN for once and emulate his father Cesare Maldini who himself had lifted this grand trophy 40 years ago in ENGLAND himself.

Once again Maldini helped in keeping a clean sheet for Milan and Milan eventually did win the European Cup. Maldini did lift the EUROPEAN CUP as CAPTAIN himself and he did emulate his dad who himself had done the same 4 decades ago in the same country. Had Wembley stadium not been under construction the final would've been held there. Other than that it was the perfect replication of history!

Maldini was a born leader and this was his third major defining moment IMO.

Franco was a great captain, great defender and a great leader. His jersey is retired and nobody will have the opportunity to wear NUMBER 6 again. The same honour must be bestowed on the Great captain Maldini who has been a great servant of this great club over the decades! Yes ... decades as it is twenty years now! He has not always worn this number but it is the number that he will be remembered by. The number should be retired. There can not be a greater salute to one of the game's greats than taking off Number 3 from Milan's roster.

Paolo Maldini - Number 3

ACM 1899
Old 18-01-2005, 09:18   #40
Nadir

Nadir is on a distinguished road
Excellent tribute to Paolo Maldini in pictures from BBC sports.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/...all/html/1.stm
Nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 10:08   #41
aim

Fave Players: Maldini, MVB, Ambro, Sheva
aim
Thanks, Haroon, great tribute to our beloved Nr. 3

Gio: would you please post the link of websites where we can buy this Maldini film? Thanks.
aim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2005, 11:53   #42
Giovanni

aim i have no idea
Old 18-01-2005, 13:03   #43
Gemma

Gio: would you please post the link of websites where we can buy this Maldini film? Thanks.[/quote]

mebbie amazon would do it? i'm gonna try there i'll let you guys know if they do stock it laters!
Old 18-01-2005, 21:28   #44
BaggioForever

Fave Players: Cordino Divino, Paolo Maldini, King Shev
BaggioForever is on a distinguished road
Maldini is the Superstar of Milan without a doubt! i dun see how the rest of the legends can come close... besides the skills, he also have the looks (no offence to Baresi :P ). Beside his aggressiveness, he also has the charisma... besides his age, he still have the pace. He is even more popular than Beckham in the fashion world. Paolo is the King of Milan.
Old 19-01-2005, 06:16   #45
Gemma

just a quick note. i tried amazon for the movie and they dont stock it unfortunately