AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Games & Tactics

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 10:42   #91
Nalx

Fave Players: San Marco, Billy, Patinho
Nalx is on a distinguished road
Lately we've been playing with three layers of players, that more often than not, function separately instead of synergistically.

Firstly, the defense who are pretty good despite the absence of Nesta but definitely lack quality on the full backs. None, absolutely none of FB is capable of offering something in attack, a crucial thing when we're playing with 3 DMs. Didac was supposed to be the answer but he didn't even make the bench tonight.

Secondly, we can't expect a midfield with 3 DMs to create something. It was created more because of necessity than of tactical choice. IMO we're playing our best when Pirlo took a LM and Max took his place with Boateng acting as a treq. Then the injuries set in. The 3 DM scheme worked pretty well for some time but obviously we need more against a more defensive-minded opponent.

But the predictability of our strikers is what worrying me the most. Without any significant contribution from the midfielders they are often forced to create something out of nothing. Ibra simply cannot be asked to dig from his bag of tricks every time. We might have one of the most lethal striking options in Europe, but until they step up their games (Pato reaches a level of consistency, Cassano with his fitness, and Robinho with his finishing) it will remain so only on paper.

With Inter slowly but steadily regain their composure and important players back from their injuries, I do get a terrifying feeling that it's our turn to suffer the same fate that befell them in the 1st half of the season.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27   #92
Gio-mania

Fave Players: Kaká, Ringhio, Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi etc
Gio-mania is on a distinguished road
This was a pretty bad performance by us today. Genoa weren't playing particularly well so we really should've won this game. I was disappointed after the Lazio game but it was acceptable considering they are a good team, went all out defense and we were unlucky to an extent.

I've never had too much to say about Allegri, as I think he has done good and bad decisions. Today however I was very skeptical. Substituting Robinho? He wasn't great but he was really running more than the other two strikers. If we really had to substitute a striker I would've maybe, maybe, taken out Pato despite his goal (I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate against me for that).

Also the three DM's is something I cannot understand, especially considering we had Seedorf, Merkel and Urby on the bench. I'm not going to say much about the FB situation, since there might be a perfectly explainable reason why Didac Vila wasn't even on the bench.

At this point, unless Inter slip up, I don't see us winning the Scudetto. If they win tonight and they're extra game they are at -2. If we continue losing points then they will surpass us, not to forget we have the derby still in hand which I don't see us winning playing like this. Napoli is close too, but right now I really only just see Inter threatening. Hopefully Roma will give us a hand.

Genoa X
Lazio X
Catania W
Cesena W
Lecce X
Udinese X
Cagliari W

We've lost 8 points in the last 7 games. We could've been +11 on Napoli, +16 on Lazio and +10 on Inter (worst case scenario).
Old 06-02-2011, 13:20   #93
Filipéz 182

Fave Players: Flamini, Pato, G.Rossi, T.Silva, Hazard, Lukaku
Filipéz 182 is an unknown quantity at this point
what a bad game AGAIN!
But its not a surprise to me. We have non footballing fullbacks, and a completely non-football midfield with 3 DMs, what can we expect? Allegri wants everything to be done by the front three, but thats not how it works in football. You have to defend and attack as a team.
Old 06-02-2011, 13:25   #94
Warro Bantan

Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalx View Post
Lately we've been playing with three layers of players, that more often than not, function separately instead of synergistically.

Firstly, the defense who are pretty good despite the absence of Nesta but definitely lack quality on the full backs. None, absolutely none of FB is capable of offering something in attack, a crucial thing when we're playing with 3 DMs. Didac was supposed to be the answer but he didn't even make the bench tonight.

Secondly, we can't expect a midfield with 3 DMs to create something. It was created more because of necessity than of tactical choice. IMO we're playing our best when Pirlo took a LM and Max took his place with Boateng acting as a treq. Then the injuries set in. The 3 DM scheme worked pretty well for some time but obviously we need more against a more defensive-minded opponent.

But the predictability of our strikers is what worrying me the most. Without any significant contribution from the midfielders they are often forced to create something out of nothing. Ibra simply cannot be asked to dig from his bag of tricks every time. We might have one of the most lethal striking options in Europe, but until they step up their games (Pato reaches a level of consistency, Cassano with his fitness, and Robinho with his finishing) it will remain so only on paper.

With Inter slowly but steadily regain their composure and important players back from their injuries, I do get a terrifying feeling that it's our turn to suffer the same fate that befell them in the 1st half of the season.
Well said. While we have suffered a major injury crisis, its the lack of connectivity between the 3 sets of players (Defense-midfield and attack) that is making us look clueless.

Allegi's sub of Robinho was also a mistake...maybe, just maybe, leaving him on but subbing out one of the DMs could have had a bigger impact?

The injuries have taken a toll on our fluidity and cohesiveness, yet we should be doing a bit better in terms of our tactical approach to games.

I fear total humiliation vs Inter, or ANY of our potential UCL opponents, if by some miracle we get past Tottenham.
Old 06-02-2011, 13:35   #95
kakacmilan best

kakacmilan best is on a distinguished road
Dont forget that in this round we have Juve Roma Palermo And Fiore out!
kakacmilan best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 13:51   #96
Filipéz 182

Fave Players: Flamini, Pato, G.Rossi, T.Silva, Hazard, Lukaku
Filipéz 182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Inter got sneijder back and he already scored after a few mins vs Roma. Inter 1-0 UP. Suddenly scudetto looks very, very difficult.
Old 06-02-2011, 14:00   #97
Warro Bantan

Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
At the rate we are dropping points, and Inter is gaining ground, I see it being quite a task for us to win the scudetto this term.

Allegri will get another chance, and I sincerely hope he make better use of it next season, hopefully with a better full back pairing than what we can field now.....and Roma equalize, and suddenly hope springs anew!

Last edited by Warro Bantan; 06-02-2011 at 14:09.
Warro Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 14:49   #98
Arildonardo

Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Pato!
Arildonardo is on a distinguished road
2-1 to Inter at half time.

1-0 Sneijder
1-1 Simplicio
2-1 Eto'o

Come on Roma, a draw would be good.
Arildonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 14:52   #99
HO-YOUNG

Fave Players: Kaka, Albertini, Serginho, Maldini, Rivaldo
HO-YOUNG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arildonardo View Post
2-1 to Inter at half time.

1-0 Sneijder
1-1 Simplicio
2-1 Eto'o

Come on Roma, a draw would be good.
because of our incompetences we have to be depending on others to help out...
Old 06-02-2011, 15:13   #100
Arildonardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO-YOUNG View Post
because of our incompetences we have to be depending on others to help out...
Exactly...

Red card for Burdisso and Eto'o have made it 3-1. No help given by Roma.
Old 06-02-2011, 15:23   #101
Hasan Rossonero

Fave Players: Rivera, Maldini, Del Piero, Baggio, Nesta, Pirlo
Hasan Rossonero is on a distinguished road
I started feeling like the Scudetto was slipping away after our draw against Lecce.

Inter deserve it. They are a real team. And let's face it--they play far more exciting football than we do.
Hasan Rossonero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 15:27   #102
Arildonardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Rossonero View Post
I started feeling like the Scudetto was slipping away after our draw against Lecce.

Inter deserve it. They are a real team. And let's face it--they play far more exciting football than we do.
We're too Zlatan-dependant, not because we have to be, but because we choose to be. We have other great players, but Allegri doesn't seem to care.

We need to play on more than one string, or else the other teams can read us like an open book.
Old 06-02-2011, 15:31   #103
Hasan Rossonero

Fave Players: Rivera, Maldini, Del Piero, Baggio, Nesta, Pirlo
Hasan Rossonero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arildonardo View Post
We're too Zlatan-dependant, not because we have to be, but because we choose to be. We have other great players, but Allegri doesn't seem to care.

We need to play on more than one string.
I agree.

The other problems are well-publicized: no link-up between midfield and attack, non-existent wingbacks.

However, the problem is also psychological. We have been a club with a daunting culture of winning. Yet in the Ancelotti-Leonardo-Allegri era, one little wobble causes either a narrow escape or a complete collapse.
Hasan Rossonero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 15:40   #104
Arildonardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasan Rossonero View Post
I agree.

The other problems are well-publicized: no link-up between midfield and attack, non-existent wingbacks.

However, the problem is also psychological. We have been a club with a daunting culture of winning. Yet in the Ancelotti-Leonardo-Allegri era, one little wobble causes either a narrow escape or a complete collapse.
True. And also this season there's been a lot of injuries, more than normal, and it doesn't really help.
Old 06-02-2011, 15:42   #105
Arildonardo

Final score:

Inter - Roma 5-3

If Inter win their game in hand, they're just 2 points behind us and in much better form.