AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > COMMUNITY > Members Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 14:12   #1
Debs
Administrator

Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough
PLEASE READ--Milan Mania: the new server and staying online!!

Once again I find myself having to address an issue that we’ve been over many times here at MM.

Do you like these forums? Are you proud to be a member here? Do you come here every day, maybe several times a day to read and interact with other fans? If we had to close down, would you be sad?

As you should know from reading Rezag’s recent announcements, MM moved to a less expensive server recently, out of necessity. If we were going to manage to keep this place online, we HAD TO find a cheaper server. Rez did a lot of research and compared a lot of different solutions—some suggested by members here—before he chose one he felt would best handle our needs. Our old server was $160 a month, this one is $50 a month.

Here’s the continuing problem tho. Keeping MM afloat has continued to fall on the shoulders (or should I say wallets) of just a few people. A VERY FEW PEOPLE. This has bothered me for several years b/c no one gives a ****. I haven’t recently tallied up how much $$$ I’ve put into keeping us online, Rez probably hasn’t either, but I can tell you that 2 years ago I finally had to say that I could no longer shoulder the cost or a major portion of the cost alone. How fair is that that everyone is posting free as a bird on my dime and I had bills I couldn’t pay as a result?

So we begged for a pool of contributors to help out. A few people responded. A few people do contribute. Rez and I are left having to cover the major portion, and there have been occasions when he has had to cover the balance himself. It will be easier with the cheaper server, obviously, but the fact remains that 3, sometimes 4 people are keeping this place online. We’ve cut our server costs, but I haven’t yet seen a lighter load in paying to keep MM online! Something is dreadfully wrong here.

I’m begging for people to step forward and make a commitment to helping us out. If you can only contribute $20 once a year, fine; if you would be willing to throw in $10 every month or every other month, that’s great. Please do not ask me how much we’re asking people to contribute—THAT will depend on how many people come forward and how often they say they can pitch in. If we could come up with a pool of 20 people, and each month 5 would take a turn helping out, that would be a dream come true!

If you can help, say so here. If you want details on how to pay, PM Rezag, as he is our payment man.

Last edited by Debs; 10-12-2007 at 09:58.
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 14:34   #2
Reza
Administrator

Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
The site is indeed a big burden financially, like Debs said a few people have been kind enough to help but a lot more regularity was and still is required. Some of the talk was if we really needed the server we had and my answer was yes because it was the closest we could have to being guaranteed uptime and performance. However as that was not sustainable even with the ads we put up I searched and tried to find a place with a hope of staying online but also one that offers a more acceptable price. We are now on a powerful server (Dual Opteron RAID 10 with 8 gigs of Registered ECC DDR2 RAM) but one which is shared with some others, so as good the specs themselves may be when it is shared with others the likelihood of speed issues and other problems such as downtime is higher.
Any, regular, contributions you can make would be really appreciated and helpful and like Debs mentioned it can be any amount you can. PM me for more info or suggestions, thanx
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 08:40   #3
Rico

Fave Players: Kaka, Massaro, Ancelotti, Gullit, Sheva, Albertini
Rico is on a distinguished road
Rez, you can check your PM.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 14:44   #4
Reza
Administrator

Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Resurrecting this thread in regards to the new notice that you see on top of the forum pages.
Old 07-09-2010, 21:37   #5
athurart09

athurart09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs View Post
Once again I find myself having to address an issue that we’ve been over many times here at MM.

Do you like these forums? Are you proud to be a member here? Do you come here every day, maybe several times a day to read and interact with other fans? If we had to close down, would you be sad?

As you should know from reading Rezag’s recent announcements, MM moved to a less expensive server recently, out of necessity. If we were going to manage to keep this place online, we HAD TO find a cheaper server. Rez did a lot of research and compared a lot of different solutions—some suggested by members here—before he chose one he felt would best handle our needs. Our old server was $160 a month, this one is $50 a month.

Here’s the continuing problem tho. Keeping MM afloat has continued to fall on the shoulders (or should I say wallets) of just a few people. A VERY FEW PEOPLE. This has bothered me for several years b/c no one gives a ****. I haven’t recently tallied up how much $$$ I’ve put into keeping us online, Rez probably hasn’t either, but I can tell you that 2 years ago I finally had to say that I could no longer shoulder the cost or a major portion of the cost alone. How fair is that that everyone is posting free as a bird on my dime and I had bills I couldn’t pay as a result?

So we begged for a pool of contributors to help out. A few people responded. A few people do contribute. Rez and I are left having to cover the major portion, and there have been occasions when he has had to cover the balance himself. It will be easier with the cheaper server, obviously, but the fact remains that 3, sometimes 4 people are keeping this place online. We’ve cut our server costs, but I haven’t yet seen a lighter load in paying to keep MM online! Something is dreadfully wrong here.

I’m begging for people to step forward and make a commitment to helping us out. If you can only contribute $20 once a year, fine; if you would be willing to throw in $10 every month or every other month, that’s great. Please do not ask me how much we’re asking people to contribute—THAT will depend on how many people come forward and how often they say they can pitch in. If we could come up with a pool of 20 people, and each month 5 would take a turn helping out, that would be a dream come true!

If you can help, say so here. If you want details on how to pay, PM Rezag, as he is our payment man.
Thanks for sharing.