AC Milan vs Napoli (5-02-2012) 19:45 GMT, switched to 14:00GMT
The result was fine given the circumstances and the performance was positive if we look at the whole game. Napoli created very little, despite Abate still not looking his best, while going forward we really started to improve in the second half.

The game was tight, with Napoli looking to hit us on the break (actually looking a little like the first leg this season). However, Napoli aren't a side built to sit deep and it showed, as their backline was often higher than expected and we only lacked a solid reference point up front during the first half to take advantage. In midfield we dominated despite injury problems and a packed schedule, while up front we still lacked the sharpness and improvisation which we were treated to last season. Pleasingly, despite Abate struggling it was nice to see a solid backline, with only Mexes (other than Abate) making a small mistake with missing a header.

The second half was a different affair. Ibra was given clear instruction to stay up field and hassle the Napoli backline, which he did with ease and was on the verge of scoring. Robinho too had a more set role, cutting in from the left given the space left when Maggio pushed up. This resulted in our game becoming more focused on set routes to goal, rather than "patiently" looking for an opening. Goalscoring chances started coming our way and a goal seemed inevitable. However, things don't always pan out as expected and that was definitely the case here, as the useless Rizzoli (and his band of inept officials) stopped play needlessly and then Ibra behaved like a petulent toddler and proceeded to slap Aronica. This essentially killed the tie, as all momentum was lost and we lost our reference point up front. Robinho put in a decent fight until he was subbed off, while Napoli were pretty useless against our 10 men.

There's a lot of debate/negative reaction around Allegri still, and while I understand this after the Lazio game, I don't really understand it here as we did very little wrong against Napoli tactically, and ultimately it was individual episodes (Robinho's miss and Ibra's slap) that resulted in us missing the win.

Players...

Abbiati/Amelia - Neither had much of anything to do
Abate - Has looked a little off defensively recently, mostly making individual mistakes and this match was another
Mexes - Sound game with few mistakes
Thiago - Probably the most solid player we have. Made a few driving runs to try and improve the team.
Antonini - Solid, but offers little going forward
Urby - Not a bad game really and definitely didn't deserve the diatribe Ibra sent his way, although he wasn't particularly brilliant
Van Bommel - One of our better performers of late, he's looking great compared to earlier this season
Nocerino - Tried to play his game, but wasn't all that influencial
Seedorf - Added little to really support our forward play.
Ibra - Was really good until he ruined all his work with stupid actions
Robinho - Poor first half, he returned more to being what he was last season in the second. Unfortunately, his finishing has remained the same the whole time.
Maxi - NA
Ambro - Added some solidity in midfield, but like Seedorf offered little

About Ibra, I'm really not sure what to think right now. On the one hand I think he's brilliant for us, yet on the other I feel he's the key reason this side is still being held back. It's true that Ibra lifts Milan and gets results, but it's also true that our side plays for Ibra and makes him perform better. My biggest worry is if he leaves, then there's a big risk we lose the winning mentality he brought last season. Ultimately, my dream is Pato taking on the role of really becoming a leader in this side, but as Maldini said not too long ago, it's not enough for him to rely on individual moments of brilliance to lift the team, he has to show the character, consistency and leadership to really lift the side. Before any of that can happen, he needs to stop getting injured.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AC Milan vs Napoli (5-02-2012) 19:45 GMT, switched to 14:00GMT - by ACMILAN1983 - 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM