PDA

View Full Version : Computer help thread


ACMILAN1983
22-12-2004, 18:28
Considering we all use computers here, I assume many have problems on their computers.

Seeing as Nona (logging into sites), Mia (always has problems apparently :D ) and others too have asked around about problems they've had previously, I thought it may be a good idea to create a thread where people can ask about their problems.

Well, I'll try my best to provide support with questions and hopefully others too will help those in need, as I know I can't answer everything.

ps - also, if people seem happy with this thread and think its a useful idea, could one of the admins or mods make it a sticky. Thanks

Reza
22-12-2004, 18:33
I think its a good idea to have a thread like this, thanx Dev.

ACMILAN1983
26-12-2004, 17:11
errm...no one has any computer problems?

thats a shock to me :eek:

Angel_Cic
26-12-2004, 17:28
if anybody has major computer probs...that's me!!!

how come i can't get into my school's website on my computer...but i go next door to my bro's computer, and it works? :confused:

ACMILAN1983
26-12-2004, 17:46
if anybody has major computer probs...that's me!!!

how come i can't get into my school's website on my computer...but i go next door to my bro's computer, and it works? :confused:

well, I think you need to give a little more info, like what happens when you try to go into your school site (is it a "Cannot Find Server" error or something else?). Also please mention if there is anything we should know (like is there a login required to enter the site?)

However, before all else, try Reza's idea and clear your temporary Internet files. It could be one of these is causing a problem. To do this (if you're using Internet Explorer)...

1) go to tools at the top
2) select Internet options in tools
3) click "clear history" button
4) click "delete cookies" button
5) click "delete files" button and tick to delete offline files as well

hopefully, this should help, but if it doesn't reply back with the details asked and I'll try looking further into it :)

ACMILAN1983
26-12-2004, 17:54
Mia's query has made me think. I'm guessing a number of posters here might not know about spyware. Well, viruses and trojan horses are well known, but spyware is still quite new and so a number of people still don't know about it. what I will say is spyware is extremely problematic and can be extremely troublesome. to find out info about what it is, this place is pretty good...

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/whatis.asp

To protect your computers from spyware, try downloading spybot and ad-aware from the net and use them regularly (as well as updating them). If you type the names into google, its highly likely you'll find the site to download them from

Angel_Cic
26-12-2004, 18:27
thanks for the help dev...i deleted cookies and history :)

as for my website...the first page comes up, with my school's crest. i'm suppose to click the crest to enter. when i do click, it say's "Cannot find server." when clearly there is a server!!!! :groan:

ACMILAN1983
27-12-2004, 08:59
thanks for the help dev...i deleted cookies and history :)

as for my website...the first page comes up, with my school's crest. i'm suppose to click the crest to enter. when i do click, it say's "Cannot find server." when clearly there is a server!!!! :groan:

I assume deleting the temp files didn't help then.

It seems the problem with your access to the site could be for a number of reasons.

If you can get hold of the ip adress (four number address, so for example 12.435.231.23) try entering that into the address bar instead of the url (ie. "http://www....etc"). The reason is it could be for some reason the url isn't being translated into the 4 number address for some reason.

If this doesn't help (or you can't get the ip address), then it could be worth trying to setting the Internet Options to allow the site. To do this...

1) Go into tools, Internet Options
2) Click on Privacy tab
3) go to edit at the bottom
4) enter the url you want to access (the address that the crest is supposed to take you to) and click Allow
5) below, there is a list of Internet sites that have been blocked (mostly for security reasons). Check through this list and see if your school's site is there and if it is, then select it and click remove.

I'm not sure if any of this will work and if it still doesn't after this, I suggest using other computers to look at the site for the moment and then ask you school about it.

Also, be sure to do they spyware check I mentioned above ;)

Jim_UK
27-12-2004, 15:40
What's your school's web address Mia ?

I can help with some software problems also.

ilgenio
28-12-2004, 01:24
I just downloaded Nero but whenever I wanted to start my CB burning I get this message "No disc inserted or drive not ready" (I had my CDR in place) Does anyone know what's wrong? Thx

ACMILAN1983
28-12-2004, 08:31
I just downloaded Nero but whenever I wanted to start my CB burning I get this message "No disc inserted or drive not ready" (I had my CDR in place) Does anyone know what's wrong? Thx

I use Nero as well. I haven't ever had exactly the same problem as you before, but have had similar problems.

In my case, pretty much every time the error was the cd itself (unfortunately, I've noticed poorer quality blank cds are less likely to let people burn onto them) and simply using another blank cd usually worked. I suggest you try doing this to see if Nero is not recognising any disk.

If this isn't the problem and Nero isn't reading any blank cd, first make sure the CDW drive is working properly and if there isn't a problem, try uninstalling Nero from the computer and reinstalling it, as I heard other people who have had the same problem say this sorted it out.

Hope this helps, let us know if the problem doesn't get fixed

Susi
30-12-2004, 14:49
:fero:

Since 2 days I can't log in to MSN-Messenger and also can't log in to my Hotmail-account. Seems the Passwortservice is out of order.

What really makes me pissed is the problem, that I have to check my Inbox immadiately :1ang: :d55: :d55:

Does anyone else here may have the same problems?

almilan
30-12-2004, 14:51
my inbox is working fine but i dont use the msn messenger

Reza
30-12-2004, 14:55
Mine works ok too, not sure what could be happening there and not working for a couple of days is strange.

ACMILAN1983
30-12-2004, 17:01
hey, could someone merge this with the the computer help thread as its about the same topic ;)

Mine is working fine too, however, this is a fairly common problem. The best idea is make sure you delete all the temporary Internet files from your computer. To see how to do this, have a look at the computer help thread (I've given instructions).

I noticed many suggest this, so its worth a try...

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly. Double click the clock (bottom right of Windows) and check that the time and date are set.

2. Check your IE Security settings - Open Internet Explorer, click the TOOLS menu, then INTERNET OPTIONS, then click the ADVANCED tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check for server certificate revocation" is UNCHECKED (if it's CHECKED then UNCHECK IT). Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL 3.0' are CHECKED(if there UNCHECKED then CHECK them) then click OK.

3. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:

regsvr32 softpub.dll

(don't forget the "SPACE" between regsvr32 and softpub.dll), then click OK

Then try signing into MSN Messenger and the Hotmail website again.

If you are still having problems with MSN MESSENGER or WINDOWS MESSENGER or HOTMAIL then go here:

http://communities.microsoft.com/ne...cp=msn&slcid=US

click on msn.messenger

and click on "new post". Post your question to a msn technician (its free). They apparently take about 2 hours to answers so REFRESH the newsgroup in 2 hours and your answer should be there (they don't email replies), as they post the answer in the newsgroup. Make sure you tell them your operating system (e.g. Windows XP) and the error message and ERROR CODE (if you can find it) your seeing and your firewall (if you have one) and any other details of use

Hope this helps, let us know if it gets sorted :)

Angel_Cic
09-01-2005, 19:16
ok i'm pissed with msn messenger, it is causing me to want to throw my computer out into the snow *deep breaths*

a few days ago, i downloaded the new msn BETA. well, all yesterday and today it wouldn't let me sign in for some reason.."we weren't able to sign you in to .NET. please try again later." something along those words.

so this morning i deleted msn BETA...went to control panel, remove programs..etc. so i removed it the proper way. well, now everytime i restart, that stupid msn icon in the right bottom corner pops up.

i tried downloading the normal msn again, but my windows won't let me. so i'm msn-less :cry:

HELP anybody??

Reza
09-01-2005, 20:00
Mia, eventhough you deleted through the control panel correctly there is always a possibility that some portion of it is left in the registry, looks like in your case the 'start on boot' is still there. There are ways to remove it completely but depend on your PC.
When you say it doesn't let you download the other version again, do you mean the MSN site thinks you still have messenger installed and the download doesn't even start?

Rapierist
10-01-2005, 01:24
Clear the registry.

And no, not all of it! :eek: Just the traces of MSN messenger.

ACMILAN1983
10-01-2005, 09:22
Actually, I've never had trouble downloading an older version of msn, but it seems Reza and Rapierist might be right about it still being in the registry.

Answer reza's question and try giving us as much detail as possible, hopefully, then one of us should be able to help.

btw, if you go into the registry, be careful (don't just delete anything). Mess things up in there and the computer will mess up badly.

Anyway, one thing I can do is send you an email with msn 6.2 (I still have it on my laptop) installation. This should (hopefully) replace the beta version traces left on you PC with the old version.

Angel_Cic
10-01-2005, 18:03
ok guys, i'm a computer dumbas$...i don't even know where the registry is!

when i downloaded msn from the site...it got to 100% on the bar, then an "x" appeared as a failure.

not only do i have a problem with msn appearing every time i restart but also another program that i deleted. could u guys be more specific about the registry? lol. i don't want to mess something up even more :(

after i get that part cleared up, dev you can send me the older msn :)

thanks for the help guys!

ACMILAN1983
10-01-2005, 19:57
Mia, I sent the old version of msn to your hotmail address :)

I can't actually look into your problem at the moment as I need to get to bed, but I'll have a look when I get some spare time.

As for using the registry, I'm not sure if its a great idea for you to just delete files in there, especially if your unsure about what it is or how to access it.

btw, its no big deal if you don't know about registries, seeing as many (possibly most) average computer uses don't have any clue about it (good thing too ;) )

Angel_Cic
10-01-2005, 20:04
*phef* not the only dummie :tong:

thanks a lot dev...i'll try downloading msn again.

i appreciate your help!!!

Reza
27-11-2005, 17:35
For Dev or other PC experts :D

Similar to the way the XP start menu has recent programs and recent documents...is there an app or some way to have recent folders/directories?

ACMILAN1983
27-11-2005, 19:05
Sorry, I'm not really sure I know of any way to do that with the possible exception of "my recent documents" folder in Windows XP.

Another possibility is to develop a program to do that.

My problem....Anyone know how to build a DNS in C :confused: lol

edit: Reza, these links may be of use actually....

http://www.x2net.com/recentdocuments/purchase.htm

http://www.conceptworld.com/RecentX/default.asp

hope this helps :)

Reza
27-11-2005, 21:54
Neither of those two came up on my search, thanx Dev

ACMILAN1983
28-11-2005, 14:15
Neither of those two came up on my search, thanx Dev

lol, thats cool, glad to help :)

Shomo
29-11-2005, 13:47
wow nice thread,anyway my problem is differnet from others,my CD-ROM has a problem of reading CD-R Disks anytime i slot into it,it show will me that the CD is empty even it contains data in it,

ACMILAN1983
29-11-2005, 18:44
wow nice thread,anyway my problem is differnet from others,my CD-ROM has a problem of reading CD-R Disks anytime i slot into it,it show will me that the CD is empty even it contains data in it,

There could be a number of reasons this could be happening. Did your drive read CD-Rs before or is this the first time you tried a CD-R in it?

If its an old CD-ROM drive, then it could be a first generation drive, meaning it can't read copied disks at all (even if they have data).

I'll try to help further but need a little more info I'm afraid.

Shomo
02-12-2005, 15:57
yeah it used to read CD-R before but after My laptop crashed it stopped,also it's a new CD-ROM

ACMILAN1983
02-12-2005, 16:51
hmm, I can't really say much without knowing the model of your drive. I've had a similar problem in the past as have others, and usually reinstalling the driver often helped.

If this doesn't help, then give the model of your drive and maybe I can find something of help. Another option is to try tech help forums, which usually have people of far greater knowledge of such problems than most here.

Reza
02-12-2005, 17:00
Have you checked the Device Manager?
On XP right clicking My Computer --->Properties ----> Hardware tab to see it there is anything (exclamation mark) besides the CD-ROM entry

arpanmilan
03-12-2005, 12:07
hey mia,if ur univ website problem is not solved then try using a proxy to open the univ website
try www.anonymizer.com, on the top right of the page there is a url box where u hav to simply put the url of ur univ and the website will load properly.

Giovanni
29-03-2006, 08:34
I've downloaded from this site http://www.deephousepage.com a precious set of Louie Vega, the problem is that only the RealPlayer format is available. It's quite small (43kb) for 30 minutes of music.

My question is: (being very bad with computers) how can i masterise this format on a cd? i think it should be in mp3 format to be masterised on cd support, so what can i do? I can listen to the file but i'd like to make a cd out of it, and out of all the dj sets i like on tha site

thank you

ACMILAN1983
29-03-2006, 14:19
tbh, at that size it seems to be an Internet stream rather than downloading to your computer, so in that case it wouldn't be possible to put it onto cd

rahul.acm
29-03-2006, 14:53
its size shows that its just a streaming link. but if it actually is a file on ur disk and want it in mp3 format, u will have to get converters from xilisoft.com. they are professionals in conversion. it will cost u tho, around 40 or 50 usd. u can get it for free too! if u have a file sharing software like kazaa, search for xilisoft in applications, u will get a .rar file which will have the crack code as well as the software.

u will have to search for the appropriate software tho. good luck

beware always run ur anti-virus on all the .exe files!

Jim_UK
29-03-2006, 16:19
Which Louie Vega track are you looking to download Gio ? I did a quick search for Louie Vega on the deephouse web site and all but 2 of them are available to download.

If you find the title of the specific Louie Vega mix you want, i'll see if i can get it for you. You don't need to pay for file conversion software either, you can download many different programs for free :D

Giovanni
30-03-2006, 02:58
Which Louie Vega track are you looking to download Gio ? I did a quick search for Louie Vega on the deephouse web site and all but 2 of them are available to download.

If you find the title of the specific Louie Vega mix you want, i'll see if i can get it for you. You don't need to pay for file conversion software either, you can download many different programs for free :D
well, i was looking for Louie Vega @ MAZOOM Italy 1996
But from your posts it seems i can just download those files in MP3 format, which is a shame cause the best stuff there seems not available to download.

In any case, if i can't download and put it on a cd, i will do it with those in MP3 format after all, better than nothing.

Thank you for your replies

Vadim
02-05-2006, 20:04
I need to send a Jimi Hendrix video to rae.

The problem is the video is 692 MB (!) and I can't find any sites that provide uploading or e-mail service for files this large. If anyone has any suggestions please help, and you'll get a free video of Jimi Hendrix, Live at Woodstock in '69, entire concert! ;)

Thanx

Hasan Rossonero
02-05-2006, 21:22
Why don't you sign up for gmail?

I don't use it so I cannot send you an invitation. Of course the recipient must have it as well.

How about 'ftping' it to somewhere?

pa7uel
02-05-2006, 22:32
get a Skype account or MSN, thats the easier way, only that you bith have to be on line at the same time. But i dont see another solution.

rahul.acm
03-05-2006, 05:52
or if u both have limewire u can use it directly to send it to him. otherwise sending thru any messenger will also work very well, only if u've got broadband on both sides.

rahul.acm
03-05-2006, 05:54
hey if nebody outside us wants gmail invites just tell me! i shall give it to ya!

Jim_UK
03-05-2006, 13:34
msn is probably the best way to go, unless you have access to some webspace like Hasan suggested.

If not, then you may need to split the file up with a program and email each part. I think you can do this with Win Rar. You could try Win Zip which will compress the file but not the quality, but i still think it'll end up a few hundred mbs. If all of that isn't an option then just burn it onto a cd or dvd and post it to Rae :)

Lord_Tawreser
14-05-2006, 05:54
Hi!

I can't set up any of the streaming programs right. When I try to connect to a stream it all goes wrong i.e. it won't connect or it won't open or whatever. I can't reaD chineese either. I am 99% sure it's not a firewall problem (I checkt it under firewall exceptions). I am using Win XPSP2 and Firefox.

Can anyone help me set it up?

ACMILAN1983
14-05-2006, 07:08
Sorry I don't read or know Chinese either. But, maybe copy and paste the error messages into the altavista free translator which can translate both traditional and simplified Chinese and you may get to know what the problem is. The link for the translator is...

http://babel.altavista.com/

Jim_UK
30-07-2006, 13:35
Are there any members who own an Apple Mac computer instead of a pc ?

If there are, i may need your help to test my website to make sure it looks the same for both systems.

Graeme C
30-07-2006, 15:45
i havent got a mac.... yet, have u tried it in mozilla? what website u making jim?

Jim_UK
31-07-2006, 04:12
I haven't got Mozilla. I have IE, Firefox, an old version of Netscape and Smart Explorer for my PC. So when i make websites i make sure they look the same on all of those browsers, but then sometimes when i check them on an Apple, in certain browsers some things are out of alignment. I found this out recently when coding with CSS. The rollovers i did in CSS were fine on all the PC browsers and a few Apple ones, but on one Apple one it was all over the place.

Cross platforming is such a pain in the backside :D

Angel_Cic
31-07-2006, 12:28
can somebody explain to me how to resize pics? i know Reza is always willing to do it for me everytime...but i feel bad...and it's about time that i learn :D

Reza
31-07-2006, 13:03
Send me the pics and I'll send you the program and tutorial after :D
I will find a link to a few small photo resizer programs and help you if you like, but do send the pics you want to post :)

Reza
31-07-2006, 13:06
Jim, I have access to a Mac, not mine but I can check.

Jim_UK
31-07-2006, 13:32
That's handy to know Rezag, in the unlikely event that i actually finish a piece of work i'll be sure to pass the address onto you so you can check to see if it looks ok :)

Reza
08-08-2006, 14:33
As promised, but I can still help resize pics.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm is a resizer
Load the picture(s) by browsing to them in the 'source' window, then clicking 'add' then check and click 'use advanced options' to get the new 'resize' window (choose 88 width and height for MM, also make sure 'preserve aspect ratio' is checked) click 'ok' in the resize window and then 'start' back in the program window.

If anybody needs more help with this reply here :)

Vadim
21-08-2006, 14:56
Does anyone know how I can burn a DVD on the computer without buying any expensive software? Are there any good programs out there?

K77SH C
21-08-2006, 15:02
Ask a friend for a dodgy copy of nero, its a very popular software.

arcy
21-08-2006, 15:18
Does anyone know how I can burn a DVD on the computer without buying any expensive software? Are there any good programs out there?
Yeah I use Nero too but there are others. Torrent sites usually provide cracked and not trial versions (I’ve had some that only allowed CD burning and not DVD. Plus they expire).

Jim_UK
21-08-2006, 15:40
do you just want to burn files to a dvd or a proper film with vob files etc ? If you just want to burn files to a dvd for storage (and you have a pc with windows xp) just put all the files together in a folder, right-click on it and go to the option "Send to" then select your DVD burner drive. Once that's done i think you can either click on the dvd icon in the drive or there maybe a symbol appear in the bottom right corner which tells you you have files waiting to be written to the dvd. Click the option to start writing the files and that should be it.

If you want a better version then you can probably download nero like Kash said. Go here (http://www.download.com/sort/3120-2001-0-1-4.html?qt=dvd+burning+software&ca=2001) (download.com) to see a list of dvd burning software you can download.

Vadim
21-08-2006, 15:42
I need to burn a film, like you said. Thanks for the link, hopefully I'll find something there :)

Jim_UK
21-08-2006, 15:55
Well there's 85 results in those search results ... i'm sure there will be something of use there. If not it's a good place to find what you need.

mariani
23-08-2006, 00:48
Can anyone tell me which brand of notebook is good? I am thinking of buying one which has a good processing speed. Does anyone here own a laptop? If yes, could you tell me more or less how you feel about your laptop?

ct
23-08-2006, 01:19
Jim, I'm using Mac too. I could help.

As for the burning disc, the most popular one is Nero. Since I haven't try bruning a DVD , so I don't know how good is Nero in terms of speed and stability.

Mariani, I'm using Mac OSX, iBook G4. I love it. What you need, they have. And I never have any virus attack on my notebook, yet. The cons of owning a Mac, at least in Malaysia, is their service kinda sucks. Since the market is small, they service centres are few and between. That, is really sucks. But I heard Apple Singapore is much better.

mariani
23-08-2006, 01:59
I agree with you that MAC is virus free but not all programs can run on MAC. I have a colleague who is using MAC and we have problems installing the printer driver. As I have been using Windows for so many years, I am nuts in using MAC. :dontkn: I am not use to the interface... :hmmm: You must be a MAC expert, ct

ACMILAN1983
23-08-2006, 05:35
Mariani, I personally own a Dell laptop and find them to be reasonably reliable, but lately they did have a battery recall (due to some batteries causing problems) which might be off putting, but buying from the Dell Factory Outlet (there's a link to it on their website) will be a good way to get pretty much a brand new laptop for cheap (mine was about half price because the cover had gotten a tiny scratch (I only saw it after a few days use).

Sony Vaio laptops are often of decent quality too, better than Dell probably, but they do go up a little in price too.

Acer laptops have also been recommended to me in the past, though I've never used them, so can't say myself.

Macs are pretty decent machines as they are reliable, but you have to be prepared to accept that it may not be compliant with many Windows programs if you like using standard bearing systems.

Personally, for specs, currently most basic laptops can be bought for about £500 (738 euros) with specs like this...

* Processor: 1.4GHz
* RAM: 256MB
* Hard Drive: 40GB
* Optical Drive: CDRW/DVD
* Screen Size: 15" TFT
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home

I recommend spending a little more and getting specs that are a little higher would be a smarter choice, as it will take longer for the system to become obsolete (out of date). So I'd say look for specs of at least...

* Processor: 2GHz
* RAM: 512MB
* Hard Drive: 40GB
* Optical Drive: CDRW/DVD
* Screen Size: 15" TFT
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home

Note, that is the bare minimum I'd be looking for, I think if you look around, you can get some pretty good laptops for good prices.

A good website to start at I think is http://www.kelkoo.com because there you can search for different laptops and its a great way to compare different prices in different shops on the net.

Hope this helps :)

Jim_UK
23-08-2006, 06:18
I used to hate macs, but i've got used to them and can quite easily switch between the two. You're right ct about macs having most things built in, like having 'Toast' to burn cds & dvds instead of having to use a program like nero. Saves having to download everything.

Macs are great, but they are a bit over the top and 'gimmicky' sometimes, that must be why such a high percentage of designers use them !

mariani
23-08-2006, 09:00
Yes ACMILAN83, one of my colleague's DELL laptop is in the list of battery recall. Some of my colleagues who own DELL laptop were getting paranoid over it...They even afraid to use it for a few days fearing that it may explode at any time...LOL... :ilol:

Oh, thank you so much ACMILAN83..I would love to :hug2: you...he,he,he,he..

ACMILAN1983
23-08-2006, 09:34
lol, thanks a lot, the hug is welcomed and glad I could help. I recommend that your collegues take the battery out of the laptop and then use it plugged into an AC socket ;)

zlatanov
23-08-2006, 09:53
Hi Mariani,
Before buying a laptop, I would recommend visiting forums like:
www.notebookforums.com and www.notebookreview.com
because bying the right laptop for you without largely overpaying can be a very tricky thing to do.

There one can find TONS of info and advice on what type of laptop does one need - in terms of specs that is - because people in general tend to overpay for machines they will never really use/need to begin with. Also, once you have figured out what class of laptop you need, you can find lots of reviews on particular laptops within that class depending on screen-type (glossy or not), heat issues (lots of laptops may have these), battery life (usually it is good battery life - Intel Cnetrino/Sonoma package), keybord flex and lack of firmness, noisy fans, etc, etc.

about 1.5 years I was buying a lptop for myself and those sites were a great help in that proces. In general, AMD spus are best for desktop mashines but for latops it is the Intel Centrino/Sonoma package that beats the AMDs as even the low-voltage AMD cpus can't measure up to the battery life you get from an Intel-based machine, while perfomance is virtually the same since Intel based their Pentium M cpu family on AMDs philosophy of "work/cpu cycle" > "GHz"

In those forums, you can find pre-made guide for what laptop meets your needs and what are the best products in that class. I started out with Dell in mymind but after some research realised that there are better machines, for my needs, out there and many of them were brands that are not very familiar to the average consumer like Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba are.
I also learned that the Dells, HPs, etc we buy at BestBuy and other concumer electronics stores are only reworked/rebranded barebones from mainly Taiwan manufacturers like Asus, Acer, Clevo, Mitac, Compal - companies that aren't very well known in the west.
I for instance ended up buying an Asus M6BNe (current and more contemporary model is Asus z70va) and have been absolutely happy with it, free of issues 2nd year running and an aboslute delite to look at and work with.

Also, one realizes that the dif in performance between 1.7/1.8 GHz and 2.0/2.1 GHz is not really worth the dif of 3-400 dollars you will have to pay up, and that it's better to invest that money in more RAM and faster HD and still have left extra cash.
Also buying a 1 stick of 1GB RAM is probably best, so that when in the future you need to add more RAM, you won't have to throw away the older chips.
So, my advice is go visit those forums and chances are you won't regret it.

Here is a direct link to a laptop-buying guide created by forum members at www.notebookforums.com - not sure but you might have to register in order to see it:
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread114968.html

there is a similar guide on www.notebookreview.com as well.

P.S. I am using the same nick on notebookforums and if you see a post by me, take a look at my avatar :rone:

zZ[-_-]Zz
23-08-2006, 13:10
i have a Dell Inspiron... works fine with the battery... infact it hasn't been givin' me any problems... other than those i create myself... lolz...

ACMILAN1983
23-08-2006, 13:34
Zz']i have a Dell Inspiron... works fine with the battery... infact it hasn't been givin' me any problems... other than those i create myself... lolz...

depends on what type of model you have, but to be on the safe side, visit this site...

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx

and double check. Thankfully, mine wasn't affected, but some batteries do risk literally over heating (in some cases causing fires)

mariani
23-08-2006, 22:56
Hi Mariani,
Before buying a laptop, I would recommend visiting forums like:
www.notebookforums.com and www.notebookreview.com
because bying the right laptop for you without largely overpaying can be a very tricky thing to do.

There one can find TONS of info and advice on what type of laptop does one need - in terms of specs that is - because people in general tend to overpay for machines they will never really use/need to begin with. Also, once you have figured out what class of laptop you need, you can find lots of reviews on particular laptops within that class depending on screen-type (glossy or not), heat issues (lots of laptops may have these), battery life (usually it is good battery life - Intel Cnetrino/Sonoma package), keybord flex and lack of firmness, noisy fans, etc, etc.

about 1.5 years I was buying a lptop for myself and those sites were a great help in that proces. In general, AMD spus are best for desktop mashines but for latops it is the Intel Centrino/Sonoma package that beats the AMDs as even the low-voltage AMD cpus can't measure up to the battery life you get from an Intel-based machine, while perfomance is virtually the same since Intel based their Pentium M cpu family on AMDs philosophy of "work/cpu cycle" > "GHz"

In those forums, you can find pre-made guide for what laptop meets your needs and what are the best products in that class. I started out with Dell in mymind but after some research realised that there are better machines, for my needs, out there and many of them were brands that are not very familiar to the average consumer like Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba are.
I also learned that the Dells, HPs, etc we buy at BestBuy and other concumer electronics stores are only reworked/rebranded barebones from mainly Taiwan manufacturers like Asus, Acer, Clevo, Mitac, Compal - companies that aren't very well known in the west.
I for instance ended up buying an Asus M6BNe (current and more contemporary model is Asus z70va) and have been absolutely happy with it, free of issues 2nd year running and an aboslute delite to look at and work with.

Also, one realizes that the dif in performance between 1.7/1.8 GHz and 2.0/2.1 GHz is not really worth the dif of 3-400 dollars you will have to pay up, and that it's better to invest that money in more RAM and faster HD and still have left extra cash.
Also buying a 1 stick of 1GB RAM is probably best, so that when in the future you need to add more RAM, you won't have to throw away the older chips.
So, my advice is go visit those forums and chances are you won't regret it.

Here is a direct link to a laptop-buying guide created by forum members at www.notebookforums.com - not sure but you might have to register in order to see it:
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread114968.html

there is a similar guide on www.notebookreview.com as well.

P.S. I am using the same nick on notebookforums and if you see a post by me, take a look at my avatar :rone:

hey, thanks for this useful info, zlatanov...you & acmilan83 are sure the right person to look for any computer advises, wow...

arcy
24-08-2006, 12:32
Apple now too is recalling their Li-Ion batteries but not as huge as Dell last week. Sony cells are giving problems.

Vadim
02-01-2007, 12:47
OK, I have yet another computer related question, about torrents this time. I have a torrent file that I need to upload but I can't figure out how to do it, what with the trackers and all. So can anyone either explain to me how to do this in non complicated English, or can I send the torrent file to someone and they can do all the hard work. Your reward is you get to see what's in the torrent :) Thanks in advance.

ACMILAN1983
02-01-2007, 16:15
OK, I have yet another computer related question, about torrents this time. I have a torrent file that I need to upload but I can't figure out how to do it, what with the trackers and all. So can anyone either explain to me how to do this in non complicated English, or can I send the torrent file to someone and they can do all the hard work. Your reward is you get to see what's in the torrent :) Thanks in advance.

I believe this link might be of use for what you're looking for. Hope it works ;)

http://dessent.net/btfaq/#maketorrent

rossoneri
03-01-2007, 15:02
hey guys can u help me , here is my problemo with my computer , when i open files with .exe my computer restarts does anybody knows where is the problem ???

ACMILAN1983
03-01-2007, 15:45
hey guys can u help me , here is my problemo with my computer , when i open files with .exe my computer restarts does anybody knows where is the problem ???

hmm, I've never encountered that problem before, so am not sure why that might happen. However, I recommend doing a spyware and virus check to see if that helps (it could well be a bug has gotten onto your system).

Maybe someone else has encountered a similar problem?

rossoneri
04-01-2007, 17:40
hmm thanks moderator for recomending i hope that a spyware works:D

Giorgos
25-03-2008, 14:56
I downlaod a video from internet of duratios about 15 minutes. I now want to upload it to youtube. I know how to upload short videos of minutes...
How i can copy and past that of 15 minutes ?
I mean to have Getta robot ep 21 part 1
Getta Robot ep 21 part 2 and to put a comment or song to its end, is there any procedure? programme?...

Please tell me...

Best

Giorgos

ACMILAN1983
25-03-2008, 16:36
I'm not an active member on youtube (I've never uploaded a movie), but I think to upload you need to sign in (or register if you haven't), go to "my Account"and then "Videos, Favorites, & Playlists" in the "Manage my videos" section.

ENIS
25-03-2008, 17:16
for that you have some software to split one clip into smaller pieces , you can use windows movie maker to split it ..

Kaka1899
26-03-2008, 04:27
anybody have software that converts itunes purchases i had some but it seems its done me two albums and now wont find my most recent purchases, i want them to be MP3's not itunes own format as i hate quicktime i use WMP instead as it works with msn as well.

ACMILAN1983
26-03-2008, 06:43
anybody have software that converts itunes purchases i had some but it seems its done me two albums and now wont find my most recent purchases, i want them to be MP3's not itunes own format as i hate quicktime i use WMP instead as it works with msn as well.

I recommend looking at this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93123