AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > COMMUNITY > Members Lounge

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 05:59   #466

Giovanni

Registered User
 
Giovanni's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: Torino, Italia
Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983
I saw The Grudge (Japanese version) last night. It is very well made and beautifully structured. Not necessarily the scariest film around but its well done and definately worth a look.

Lets hope the american remake is good, although I have my doubts
dev, wanna ask you:

i was about to buy the Ring japanese dvds but:

i found out there are 3
1)ring
2)ring 2
3)ring 0

are all of them worthy the money?

i know the ring 0 is the prequel, do you think are all of them quality?
__________________
MILAN: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26   #467

ilgenio

Registered User
 
ilgenio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2002
Location: 虎穴龍潭
Fave Players: Zico, Marco van Basten, Dejan Savicevic, Kaka
ilgenio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
dev, wanna ask you:

i was about to buy the Ring japanese dvds but:

i found out there are 3
1)ring
2)ring 2
3)ring 0

are all of them worthy the money?

i know the ring 0 is the prequel, do you think are all of them quality?

Not sure about others but I think it's not worth spending money getting DVDs of The Ring. Of the 3, I think only The Ring is watchable but it's not a film I'll get on DVD, and TBH I'm a big fan of Matsushima Nanako

If you wanna get a Japanese film Gio, try Love Letter instead
__________________
AC Milan Prediction League 2005/ 06 Champion

ALWAYS RED
ALWAYS BLACK
ALWAYS ROSSONERO
~ ~
ilgenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:37   #468

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan4eva
Co-signed. . And yest ACM1983, that woman playing Anna was hot!!!(I forgot the name since it was so long ago, it's good enough I remember her film name!)

Hmm, last movie I watched. I watched Hero the day before. Not bad. But they coulda made it better. IMO they spoiled some parts. I didn't quite get it all in the end.
lol, I just forgot her name too.

I loved Hero personally, what parts did they spoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan4eva
Oh yeah, Kung Fu Hustle is an absolute waste of money. Wasn't funny at all. Unless the area you live in sorely lacks quality chinese films, then I'd say don't go for it.

Anyone got the lowdown on Ocean's Twelve? I just saw Eleven a few days ago and it wasn't bad..
Kung Fu hustle is bad??? Man, I was really looking forward to it as I love Shaolin Soccer and God Of Cookery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
dev, wanna ask you:

i was about to buy the Ring japanese dvds but:

i found out there are 3
1)ring
2)ring 2
3)ring 0

are all of them worthy the money?

i know the ring 0 is the prequel, do you think are all of them quality?
Right, Ring is a classic, it is brilliantly made and works very well. Ring 2 is a direct sequel that continues on the story from the original. Its probably not quite as scary as the original, but it does a good job explaining some of the story.

Ring 0 is the prequel that explains the origins of one of the characters and isn't a proper horror film, but more of a drama. However, its still pretty good for Ring fans.

Personally, I recommend all three, as they help develop the story. Some will probably argue against Ring 0, but personally, I thought it was fairly decent, as long as you don't expect pure horror and more of a drama.

btw, you probably already know, but Ring films are not slasher horrors. They are deep psychological horrors (which is far scarier) that aren't likely to make you jump the whole time your watching.

seems like Ilgenio disagrees with me on this one though. Speaking of which, can you say more about Love Letter, as I am curious to see it, but know little about it (I've seen one Japanese trailer, which I couldn't understand as it was in Japanese). Also, Ilgenio, where abouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

btw, heres a trailer for Ghost in the Shell 2...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/53...html?fromint=1

lets just say this trailer does not do justice in showing how beautiful this film is
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 23:22   #469

ilgenio

Registered User
 
ilgenio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2002
Location: 虎穴龍潭
Fave Players: Zico, Marco van Basten, Dejan Savicevic, Kaka
ilgenio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983
seems like Ilgenio disagrees with me on this one though. Speaking of which, can you say more about Love Letter, as I am curious to see it, but know little about it (I've seen one Japanese trailer, which I couldn't understand as it was in Japanese). Also, Ilgenio, where abouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

btw, heres a trailer for Ghost in the Shell 2...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/53...html?fromint=1

lets just say this trailer does not do justice in showing how beautiful this film is
IMO The Ring is not "horrific" enough for a supposedly horror film I only watched it because of Matsushima Nanako

Love Letter is a film about a woman who wrote a love letter, in remembrance of her dead fiance killed in an avalanche, to his old address found in an old graduation booklet, with false hopes that the letter will "reach" him. That address however belongs to another classmate (a girl) of her dead fiance with the SAME name (There are names in Japanese which are "unisex" ), and so the two girls, even though they thought it was some silly prank, began exchanging letters. The real irony of the show is right at the end but I'll leave that for your viewing pleasure

About my whereabouts, I've just been posted to Singapore by my office and will be stationed in this tiny Asian country for the next 2 years

Ghost in a Shell! I suppose you're a big anime fan too?
__________________
AC Milan Prediction League 2005/ 06 Champion

ALWAYS RED
ALWAYS BLACK
ALWAYS ROSSONERO
~ ~
ilgenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35   #470

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
I guess me and you have different ideas about horror, but one thing we can agree on is the actress is nice

Love Letter sounds really cool actually, I'll keep an eye out for it (although I have been doing anyway)

Yep, I'm a big anime fan!!!

Cool, I hear Singapore is a nice place. Are you of Japanese origin by any chance or just a fan of Japanese films and anime?

As for me, last night I watched Infernal Affairs 2. The first is a brilliant Hong Kong thriller and the sequel is just as good. Many consider this series of films to be Hong Kong's answer to the Godfather series, although personally, I don't like to compare the two (but both are equally brilliant imo). Definately watch this if any of you get the chance
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:26   #471

Christopher

Registered User
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Christopher has disabled reputation
Napoleon Dynamite
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:34   #472

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
I saw "Blade - Trinity" and "Oceans 12" at the drive in 2 weeks ago. Both crap. Blade failed due to a poor script (surprise surprise) and logical leapholes big enough for a whale to swim thru. Oceans 12 failed because it was too self absorbed to remember to actually have a plot

The drive in is the only place an ex-pat can watch movies here in Barbados after our only mall burnt down last week Today its hence back to the drive-in. "After the Sunset" and "Cellular" is on the menu. I will report back in due course.
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:38   #473

Christopher

Registered User
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Christopher has disabled reputation
are DVD's available where you are? . . . if I were in barbados I dunno that I would ever get to see a movie . . . I would be on dah beach
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:43   #474

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_chris
are DVD's available where you are? . . . if I were in barbados I dunno that I would ever get to see a movie . . . I would be on dah beach
Work all day, play all night. I still don't have a tan after 2 years here.
There is a limited supply of DVDs to rent. All regular tapes are boot leg and really poor quality. The drive in is nice. I back up my pick-up truck on the first row and what the movies sitting in the back on a beach chair, drinking beer and smoking too much. Very relaxing
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 14:58   #475

Christopher

Registered User
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Christopher has disabled reputation
smoking the ganje or cancer sticks or did you just go straight for the crack . . . j/k
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 15:12   #476

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_chris
smoking the ganje or cancer sticks or did you just go straight for the crack . . . j/k
I will leave that for your imagination to decide, but I doubt that crack pipe and beer goes well together
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 15:46   #477

Jim_UK

Registered User
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
I've not seen Hero yet, but i bought the graphic novel illustrated by Wing Shing Ma ..... WOW !!!!!!!! I don't think i've seen a book more beautifully illustrated, it's incredible ..... it's so inspiring and emotional, it's just fantastic. I would recommed anyone to go to their nearest Waterstone's or Borders and see if you can find it, have a look and be amazed by the quality of Wing's artwork. From that i bought a novel from his Storm Riders series ..... again, it's just amazing. Along with Tony Wong, Wing Shing Ma is one of the leading kung-fu novel illustrators in the world.

I haven't seen Spirited Away yet, but out this year (along with Advent Children ) is Steamboy and How'ls Moving Castle, the lastter getting a 6 minute standing ovation after its premiere at the Venice Festival (also won a Golden Osella award for Outstanding Technical Achievment), both of which i'm really looking forward to.

Hollywood has signed up 2 J-Horror Theatre films for remakes before its been released in Japan, one called Yogen (Prophecy) the other called Kansen (Infection), might be worth checking out. Some others that are worth catching/looking out for are Once a Thief (John Woo and Chow Yun Fat ) Bullet Ballet and Mibu Gishi Den (When the last sword is drawn).

Dev (and anyone else in the UK), if you don't already buy it, try getting a magazine called NEO, the next issue should be in WHSmiths about now.

I watch Brewster's Millions today, what a classic that film is. I love John Candy, he's brilliant
Jim_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 16:58   #478

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_UK
I've not seen Hero yet, but i bought the graphic novel illustrated by Wing Shing Ma ..... WOW !!!!!!!! I don't think i've seen a book more beautifully illustrated, it's incredible ..... it's so inspiring and emotional, it's just fantastic. I would recommed anyone to go to their nearest Waterstone's or Borders and see if you can find it, have a look and be amazed by the quality of Wing's artwork. From that i bought a novel from his Storm Riders series ..... again, it's just amazing. Along with Tony Wong, Wing Shing Ma is one of the leading kung-fu novel illustrators in the world.

I haven't seen Spirited Away yet, but out this year (along with Advent Children ) is Steamboy and How'ls Moving Castle, the lastter getting a 6 minute standing ovation after its premiere at the Venice Festival (also won a Golden Osella award for Outstanding Technical Achievment), both of which i'm really looking forward to.

Hollywood has signed up 2 J-Horror Theatre films for remakes before its been released in Japan, one called Yogen (Prophecy) the other called Kansen (Infection), might be worth checking out. Some others that are worth catching/looking out for are Once a Thief (John Woo and Chow Yun Fat ) Bullet Ballet and Mibu Gishi Den (When the last sword is drawn).

Dev (and anyone else in the UK), if you don't already buy it, try getting a magazine called NEO, the next issue should be in WHSmiths about now.

I watch Brewster's Millions today, what a classic that film is. I love John Candy, he's brilliant
hmm, interesting, another Asian and Anime fan by the looks of it

I tend not to buy so many Chinese graphic novels as I tend to get more Japanese manga and western graphic novels. However, the two you mentioned I might have a look for

Spirited Away is awsome and a must see for pretty much anyone

Advent Children also looks amazing, and like you I simply can't wait.

Steamboy has been critically highly acclaimed and seems very impressive, which is good, and the fact its done by the creator of Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo), makes it an even more interesting prospect. Howl's moving castle is Hayao Miyazaki's latest isn't it?

I hear its great, but don't have too much info on it. However, I'm a big fan of Miyazaki, so I'll definately be watching it!

btw,

I have the Stormriders film. It looks dated now, but isn't that bad at all.

Don't know those two horror films and thanks for the suggestions

Neo is a new manga magazine in the UK isn't it? I don't know much about it, but will definately keep an eye out

Brewster's millions is a classic, Richard Pryor is hilarious!
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 23:20   #479

Milan4eva

Registered User
 
Milan4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Fave Players: Batistuta, Ortega, Maldini, Irwin, Maradonna, Garr
Milan4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983
lol, I just forgot her name too.

I loved Hero personally, what parts did they spoil?



Kung Fu hustle is bad??? Man, I was really looking forward to it as I love Shaolin Soccer and God Of Cookery



Right, Ring is a classic, it is brilliantly made and works very well. Ring 2 is a direct sequel that continues on the story from the original. Its probably not quite as scary as the original, but it does a good job explaining some of the story.

Ring 0 is the prequel that explains the origins of one of the characters and isn't a proper horror film, but more of a drama. However, its still pretty good for Ring fans.


Personally, I recommend all three, as they help develop the story. Some will probably argue against Ring 0, but personally, I thought it was fairly decent, as long as you don't expect pure horror and more of a drama.

btw, you probably already know, but Ring films are not slasher horrors. They are deep psychological horrors (which is far scarier) that aren't likely to make you jump the whole time your watching.

seems like Ilgenio disagrees with me on this one though. Speaking of which, can you say more about Love Letter, as I am curious to see it, but know little about it (I've seen one Japanese trailer, which I couldn't understand as it was in Japanese). Also, Ilgenio, where abouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?

btw, heres a trailer for Ghost in the Shell 2...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/53...html?fromint=1

lets just say this trailer does not do justice in showing how beautiful this film is
Hero was a good film, I admit. I'm sorry I just forgot some parts to tell you the problems for me. Errm, the parts where they were fighting in the mind were quite dumb. I've never heard of ancient martial arts exponents doing that ever, in the history of China. The first story was really different from the other two, but I could deal with that. I sorta think two versions were enough. And I didn't understand why the king had to kill wu ming(hero) in the end, and why can jian couldn't persuade his wife who loved him so much not to kill the kiing after 3 years .


To be truthful to you, I haven't seen the Japanese version of the Ring. Even though it was such a hit and was all the craze over here at one point. I don't know. I was quite young then and I suppose all the stories about people not daring to turn on the tv or pick up the phone for a week, I conveniently forgot to catch it . Last year or the year before I managed to find the American version of The Ring and it didn't give much kick. Anyway I already knew the story and scary parts since there were so many parodies about the scences already.

Infernal Affairs is a really cool show from what I've heard. But again me not being inclined to chinese films didn't wactch the first and second. When my friends wanted to drag me in to the third, I wouldn't watch cuz I always have to watch the earlier parts first, even though Infernal Affairs 3 was a prequel from what I hear. Instead I went to watch Once upon a time in Mexico, which wasn't that good at all. But I can't see how Infernal Affairs can compare to the Godfather trilogy.

About Kung Fu Hustle. I guess it's about taste. Films in Asia, be they Chinese, Indian, or even Singaporean, have different ways of showing comedy and sense of humor from the west IMO. So maybe you might like it. Some people say it's downright funny. Some say its funny in a lame way. Others like me? I just saw the lame part, didn't see anything funny in it

And ilgenio are you in Spore now? Drop by the Singapore thread and holla when you can aiight.

Last edited by Milan4eva; 08-01-2005 at 23:23.
Milan4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12   #480

Jim_UK

Registered User
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say i'm a huge fan of anime/manga, it's the illustrative quailities i look for, so if a certain graphic novel inspires me i'll buy it, regardless of the title. Yes, Steamboy is by Otomo, his first film since Akira and Howl's Moving Castle is indeed by Miyazaki (his first film since Spirited Away).

The 2nd edition of Neo was due out on the 6th of Jan, so it should be in the shops now. I shall look for it tomorrow.

I have attatched a picture from the Hero graphic novel by Wing Shing Ma, most of the illustrations are of this quality, the scan doesn't do it justice. This is a scene where Nameless is fighting Sky (i don't know if the names are the same in the film).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hero.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	7442  
Jim_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.