AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > MilanMania > Forum News & Views

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 09:54   #16

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH
Earthworm?
No, about a caterpillar
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:55   #17

Reza

Administrator
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Baresi
Reza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the roughReza is a jewel in the rough
Earthworm? this one is the virtual kind
__________________
aka rezag
Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:21   #18

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
I got a jerk on saying that everything's all right. Today I faced the same problem again. MM is very slow at the moment, and do not know why?
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58   #19

razoruk

Administrator
 
razoruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
razoruk
Seems fine at my end at the moment.

It may take a while to work out exactly what the problem is, so bear with us......
razoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:20   #20

Debs

Administrator
 
Debs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough
How do we trace the problem, Andrew? I've been trying since 7:30 to actually get anyplace where I can post or reply. I was able to get to the forum, but then could not get into anything. We've been thru this before to, where people will report problems and someone else looks and says, no it's fine and that makes it all the more frustrating!
__________________
...not your normal paranormal....
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:28   #21

Debs

Administrator
 
Debs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough
I think we need to do some pruning, which means we need to start deleting the old, old posts that are still hanging around.

It's bizarre but when I look at Who's Online every once in a while I see sometimes over 100 "guests" and some of them are looking at topics that were active in 2001! I think we need to get realistic about this--do we really need to keep the database full of stuff that's 3, 4, 5 years old? Andrew thinks this will help with the how fast the forums load and a few other problems. We've also been talking about pruning inactive "members". The last time we did this (probably 4 years ago), we found we had quite a few "members" who registered and never posted or posted only once or twice.
__________________
...not your normal paranormal....
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:03   #22

Snapster

Registered User
 
Snapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Location: UK, London
Fave Players: Van Basten, Baresi, Maldini, Kaką
Snapster is on a distinguished road
What I've done on forums with similar issues in the past is archive off threads say > 2 years old to flatfile, csv etc but keep the odd really popular thread in a read only forum. For example you could cull the 100 page slag fest threads on Inter but keep say the ones related to winning the CL or the final match which won us the league etc. As for members, maybe you should cull ones who registered > 6 months ago and have 0 posts, also those who've not posted in a year to 18 months.
__________________
Time to get back to where we belong, on top!
Snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:23   #23

razoruk

Administrator
 
razoruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
razoruk
I don't have the time to be selective on what posts I prune and I would do it with a cut off time frame rather than what this thread means to someone.
What you find value in, I may not and vice versa.

Now if Debs or Reza want to be selective in what is pruned then that is great, but my own thought is to prune the members back to anyone that has not visited the site in 6 months (that way any lurkers can still lurk without worry of posting) and any thread that has had no activity in 6 months should also be snipped.

It'll certainly make the forums more snappy then they are at the moment
razoruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 13:55   #24

Debs

Administrator
 
Debs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough
I have no time to learn how to prune just certain threads and keep others. Snapster, you up to the challenge? Got the time, etc?

But if we're so concerned with speed, which seems to be an issue all of a sudden, I'm not sure we can be so sentimental. I've long wanted to archive, if there's someone who's up to the technical processes to do so, step up, PM Rez and Razor.

We also have to think aobut size when/if we move to another server. The last move that took MM to the FF server was a killer for Razor and Rez, and it was due to the sheer size of our database! I believe Razor posted a figure of 800MB right now....
__________________
...not your normal paranormal....
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 16:04   #25

Snapster

Registered User
 
Snapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Location: UK, London
Fave Players: Van Basten, Baresi, Maldini, Kaką
Snapster is on a distinguished road
I'm up to the task but lack the time at this very moment. I could do so in a week or two but it seems that there are more immediate issues that should be addressed so it benefits everyone. I'd say just coldly cull all threads before a certain date.

DB size of 800MB, that's very surprising given the amount of posts available to view! Have you currently configured the forums so it stores attachments to the db rather than the file system? If so that could be an easy way to clear up some immediate space and DB size (thus speeding up a little)
__________________
Time to get back to where we belong, on top!

Last edited by Snapster; 11-10-2005 at 16:07.
Snapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:24   #26

rossoneroid

Registered User
 
rossoneroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2002
rossoneroid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH
I still have problems logging on a certain times of the day.
Hey reza what kind of worm are we talking about?

Earthworm?
Yep, Earthworm Jim, a video game character quite 5 or 7 years ago.
__________________
milan, kill your enemies !!!
rossoneroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:27   #27

Debs

Administrator
 
Debs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough
I don't know if it helps, Andrew, but I'm seeing a pattern this week. I can't access the site until almost 9AM. Would it be of any value to you if people reported any patterns to you? Or should we just transport you to our locales so you can see it?
__________________
...not your normal paranormal....
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39   #28

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the problem still bothers me again and again... I can access the site however sometimes it becomes so slowly I can not do anything... Do anyone face the same problem like I do? Or is it something different?

It sux
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:49   #29

Kui

Registered User
 
Kui's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: I ke one a Kaku'ihewa
Fave Players: Roby Donadoni, Chico Evani, Franco Baresi
Kui is on a distinguished road
It is exactly the same with me Rae. I usually log on about 3 or 4 AM New York time meaning...10 AM European Central time or 10pm my local time if you want to be technical. Logging on is always a b!tch for me durng this time. Only after doodling around with this cr@p til about 1 AM my local time...does it run smoothly. Of course by then I no longer know what were the latest posts were from my last visit and then whatever the heck we were talking about from such and such a post never gets responded and now we end up with so many dead threads left with no responses.
I will even go further that sometimes I can be reluctant to post anything because after you've written the dang thing the forum get all stuck and voila' you lost what the heck you wrote down. It's no wonder people are posting these small one liners these days cause it worth not losing whatever message you were trying to post.
__________________
The sure provisions of my lord,
Attend me to all my days.
O may thine house be mine abode,
And all my works be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
Where other go and come;
No more a stranger nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

My Shepherd will...

KZION Radio
Kui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:55   #30

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
You better always copy the text you are going to post before you click on Post Quick Reply. I usually do that in order not to lose infromatin I have written already.

By the way, now MM is working quite fast...

PS: it's very weird- so many guests are viewing index of AC Milan Forums

Last edited by rae; 12-10-2005 at 09:41.
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:48.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.