AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Transfers

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 14:36   #601

Samaldinho

Registered User
 
Samaldinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2004
Samaldinho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsano View Post
What has happened to Borriello? Is he officially dead? I mean seriously, this guy goes out again at the beginning of the season and we hear nothing. He is worse than Robben I thought he'd be back right now but you can't get any news on teh guy.

Anyone got any word on Nesta's injury he picked up last game? Will he be good to go or was his sub precautionary?
I think Borriello is supposed to be back soon. He's training, though not with the team yet.

Thiago Silva is apparently going to be ready on Monday, so I don't think that he'll make the Atalanta trip.

Nesta said that his injury was nothing to be worried about, he just wanted to be safe and took himself out. He said he should be fine. Plus, if he was seriously hurt, there would be panic on goal.com right now with a "Calcio Debate" on whether AC Milan will be relegated.
Samaldinho is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 15:31   #602

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Good read: http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/al105.html

I can only blame Leo for taking a job Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't ready for...

The blame lies squarely @ the feet of Berlusconi. Not Galliani, who can only work with the funds/directives he is given.

I think Galliani was behind the Cissiko bid, when he assumed he had $s to work with, Berlu pulled the plug on that IMO.

Galliani for me, loves Milan like a parent does a child, but he doesn't control the purse strings. He looks so sad and miserable, and seems to be thinking: "I told Berlu to spend some money..."


A lot of fans here wanted Carlo out...how many still think his leaving was the best choice for Milan? When we were without Kaka for large patches of last term, we still managed to win games....the first derby was played without him, and we won that...remember?

Hiddink has too much of a spine to coach at a club like ours....one case of FiMD (foot in mouth disease) from Berlu, and Hiddink is gone.

I certainly don't want Gullit...neither van Basten....so ultimately, I would opt for Spaletti...our defense is not really the issue, its our attack, and Spalettis is known as an attacking guru....
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 15:42   #603

Samaldinho

Registered User
 
Samaldinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2004
Samaldinho is on a distinguished road
Albertazzi did not start the game against Egypt. While Egypt's CBs are poor (one is trying to hold down the fort) the real impressive players are in attack.

Mohammed Talaat is a hardworking striker who, for the national team at least, has been sacrificing shots for his teammates. He is also quite an accurate free kick taker. He has the finishing ability, and just as I wrote this he hits a powerful shot right at the keeper.

Afroto is an attacking midfielder with tremendous pace, a wicked left foot, and the ability to penetrate and ride tackles. He is supposedly an attacking midfielder, and he does occupy this position rather well. Maybe a little too direct for true attacking midfield or winger, I think he would best be used as a second-striker. Think of an Egyptian Kun Aguero.

The really impressive player isn't even Shoukry (the attacking midfielder with a brace against Italy) but Egypt's left back Islam Ramadan. At 18, he is very young, and blessed with power, pace, and a fantastic engine. He also defends supremely well, has corner-kick-like throws-ins and gets forward as a real threat.

PS: Albertazzi just scored a powerful header against Egypt.
Samaldinho is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 15:53   #604

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaldinho View Post
There is no one particular person to blame (except Berlusconi), because in my book, even Galliani would do things differently if he was given the freedom.

Leonardo perhaps has the makings of a good coach, but he seems to be a tad too stubborn in his ways, and too hopeful that players (i.e. Jankulovski) will actually turn up when called upon.

Leonardo should have learned Janku should never be a FB, ever, ever ever again. I would have rather seen Oddo and Zambro on the right and left, than see Janku making our left side the weak side that we had worked so hard to improve.

Carlo realized that he wasn't going to get any fast players, and he realized what he had. That's why he played the 4-3-2-1, and that's what we have to play. Inzaghi not scoring (and he should have had at least 1 goal last night) means that he is a drain on a team that has trouble with work rate.

Teams are not technically better than us, they are just trying to out-hustle us. And guess what? It's working.

He should use Favalli more, Favalli gives me more confidence than Kaladze at CB, and Favalli gives me more confidence than Janku at LB. Yes, he's 37 but he performs, and that's all I care about.

The team is playing bad, and it will continue to play bad until the attack can be sorted, because like Leonardo said, this team is designed for the attack to do well, which will make all the other tactics work. And I see his logic, and I also agree that if our strikers are consistent, are actually a threat, that makes everyone's job easier, and then you can field Janku at LB.

Leonardo has to take responsibility here. He is the manager, that is his job. This team may be old, but it does not have a sudden lack of quality to lose to Zurich, to get run over by Bari, just because Kaka left. Are you seriously trying to say that, because Kaka left we are being overrun? C'mon.

Last year we had the Serie A's second best defense, and that was with a line of:

Zambro--Favalli--Maldini--Janku

Shouldn't Abate/Oddo--Nesta--Thiago Silva--Zambro be an upgrade, or at least the same?

Honestly, so far, the defense has been pretty solid, excepting the grand mistakes of both Oddo (against Udinese) and Kaladze (Zurich). But this is where managerial know-how comes in.

Here's the real issue, and this is where perhaps the Kaka issue comes up: we were also the most powerful attack last year. Kaka had 16 goals (5 penalties). However, we also had (Season totals) Pato with 18, Inzaghi 16, Ronaldinho with 10, hell Ambro had 8 and Seedorf 7 last year.

Here is our grand problem: the attack. We were scoring goals left and right because Carlo realized that the way to best work things out with this squad was to make sure that we could overcome what we lacked in athleticism (read: speed) with numbers and the right tactics.

Leonardo needs to get a stable lineup first, and so far the only players he relies upon is Nesta, Storari, and Pirlo and Seedorf to a certain extent. He thinks Inzaghi is just going to bail him out, but that's not going to happen.

Leonardo needs to play:

-------------Storari
--Abate---Nesta--Thiago Silva--Zambro
---Gattuso---Pirlo---Flamini
------Seedorf-----Dinho
-------------Pato

This will give us stability, and help us play to our best potential. There is a reason why last year, even with Kaka, we did not play a 4-3-1-2, it's because even with Kaka, the other players are not going to be able to cope with the sort of work load required when you field Kaka (who does not have a very good work rate either, ps). This is less about Kaka being gone (I wish he was still here, believe me) and more about Leonardo needing to stop putting on the field what looks good in his head and what has actually shown results.

PS: Look at this goal. It is against Lecce, a relegation team, and Kaka was not even involved in the play. Gattuso hits it long to Pato, who with a bit of defender error, actually does something with the ball. Ronaldinho is there to run inside and score an important goal. Here's the question: Why can't we do that anymore? It's not about Kaka or no Kaka, but it's something that Leonardo needs to figure out, fast.
Excellent post sir!! Well said, well tgought out. I couldnta agree more.
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 16:14   #605

Hasan Rossonero

Registered User
 
Hasan Rossonero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 2004
Location: Canada
Fave Players: Rivera, Maldini, Del Piero, Baggio, Nesta, Pirlo
Hasan Rossonero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan View Post
Good read: http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/al105.html

I can only blame Leo for taking a job Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't ready for...

The blame lies squarely @ the feet of Berlusconi. Not Galliani, who can only work with the funds/directives he is given.

I think Galliani was behind the Cissiko bid, when he assumed he had $s to work with, Berlu pulled the plug on that IMO.

Galliani for me, loves Milan like a parent does a child, but he doesn't control the purse strings. He looks so sad and miserable, and seems to be thinking: "I told Berlu to spend some money..."


A lot of fans here wanted Carlo out...how many still think his leaving was the best choice for Milan? When we were without Kaka for large patches of last term, we still managed to win games....the first derby was played without him, and we won that...remember?

Hiddink has too much of a spine to coach at a club like ours....one case of FiMD (foot in mouth disease) from Berlu, and Hiddink is gone.

I certainly don't want Gullit...neither van Basten....so ultimately, I would opt for Spaletti...our defense is not really the issue, its our attack, and Spalettis is known as an attacking guru....
The blame may lie at the feet of Berlusconi, but how can you live a life of such servility as Galliani does? The man toadies to Berlusconi all the time. Quit and get out of the club. He should be ashamed of himself. Get a spine you sad, sad man.

Also, I don't feel even a small amount of anger towards Leo. He has inherited an abysmal squad. Berlusconi and Galliani have managed to ruin any career he was hoping to have also.
Hasan Rossonero is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 16:25   #606

Samaldinho

Registered User
 
Samaldinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04 2004
Samaldinho is on a distinguished road
Albertazzi didn't do that bad of a job. And then he got out-muscled by Bogy for the fourth goal. He was playing at CB, and he did an okay job, but I don't think he has the size or strength to play there, even at this level.

Islam Ramadan, on the other hand, is so impressive, I honestly think he'd be worth using a non-EU spot next summer. If we weren't in such bad shape, and were just missing a LB, I'd honestly say that he would be worth the January transfer.
Samaldinho is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 19:13   #607

hitmannq8

Registered User
 
hitmannq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2004
Location: Montreal, Kuwait
Fave Players: Kaka, Nesta, Rui Costa, Pato, Robinho
hitmannq8 is on a distinguished road
my god egyptians can be so biased sometimes
hitmannq8 is offline  
Old 01-10-2009, 23:40   #608

Gabriel489

Registered User
 
Join Date: 07 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Fave Players: Captain Maldini
Gabriel489 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan View Post
Good read: http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/al105.html

I can only blame Leo for taking a job Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't ready for...

The blame lies squarely @ the feet of Berlusconi. Not Galliani, who can only work with the funds/directives he is given.

I think Galliani was behind the Cissiko bid, when he assumed he had $s to work with, Berlu pulled the plug on that IMO.

Galliani for me, loves Milan like a parent does a child, but he doesn't control the purse strings. He looks so sad and miserable, and seems to be thinking: "I told Berlu to spend some money..."


A lot of fans here wanted Carlo out...how many still think his leaving was the best choice for Milan? When we were without Kaka for large patches of last term, we still managed to win games....the first derby was played without him, and we won that...remember?

Hiddink has too much of a spine to coach at a club like ours....one case of FiMD (foot in mouth disease) from Berlu, and Hiddink is gone.

I certainly don't want Gullit...neither van Basten....so ultimately, I would opt for Spaletti...our defense is not really the issue, its our attack, and Spalettis is known as an attacking guru....
Never was a Carlo fan.
But to say that Carlo will do better than what Leo is doing with the current team is abit bias and wishful thinking.

Yes, Carlo did won games or at least got pts without Kaka.
But the squad were collectively 1 yr younger. Cap was playing and must sure have some positive locker room presence. Then there was Borriello playing well, though not scoring but creating rooms and chances for others, until he got injured. Dinho was playing well due to Kaka's absence. Zambro was at least two levels higher than he is playing now.

I would not comment on the current MIlan's defense based on stats, as they really have not played enough quality opponents to state that they are in good shape.
Gabriel489 is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 01:54   #609

fLame

Registered User
 
fLame's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2009
Location: Milan
Fave Players: Kaka, Pato, Seedorf, Pirlo
fLame is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel489 View Post
Never was a Carlo fan.
But to say that Carlo will do better than what Leo is doing with the current team is abit bias and wishful thinking.
lol... so you are not a fan of the 2 CL titles?

watch at least 1 Chelsea game and see what Carlo can do when he has an adequate team.
__________________
always rosso. always nero. always a rossonero.
fLame is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59   #610

Rossoneri Fuego

Registered User
 
Join Date: 03 2008
Location: San Francisco California USA
Fave Players: Nesta R80 Beckham Rino
Rossoneri Fuego is on a distinguished road
^^^the worst part is they look like us in our last 07 CL run,
Rossoneri Fuego is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 02:34   #611

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan View Post
A lot of fans here wanted Carlo out...how many still think his leaving was the best choice for Milan? When we were without Kaka for large patches of last term, we still managed to win games....the first derby was played without him, and we won that...remember?
I don't regret Carlo leaving, I still believe it was the right decision (and I'm really pleased for him at how he's doing at Chelsea). His Milan last season seriously suffered without Kaka and I'm pretty sure there was an article somewhere that showed the results dropped badly when Kaka was missing.

Leo, whilst he is making mistakes and is struggling, has improved a couple of issues like we're pressing higher up the pitch and holding possession better.

Kaka set up Dinho's goal in the first derby last season.
ACMILAN1983 is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44   #612

Gabriel489

Registered User
 
Join Date: 07 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Fave Players: Captain Maldini
Gabriel489 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fLame View Post
lol... so you are not a fan of the 2 CL titles?

watch at least 1 Chelsea game and see what Carlo can do when he has an adequate team.
Just b/c I am not a fan does not mean I think he sucks.
2 CLs and 1 League Title in 7 yrs were great, but the fact that for about 5 yrs or so, Milan was head and shoulder above every body else-talents, team play... Those titles just ain't enough.
Gabriel489 is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45   #613

Gabriel489

Registered User
 
Join Date: 07 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Fave Players: Captain Maldini
Gabriel489 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983 View Post
I don't regret Carlo leaving, I still believe it was the right decision (and I'm really pleased for him at how he's doing at Chelsea). His Milan last season seriously suffered without Kaka and I'm pretty sure there was an article somewhere that showed the results dropped badly when Kaka was missing.

Leo, whilst he is making mistakes and is struggling, has improved a couple of issues like we're pressing higher up the pitch and holding possession better.

Kaka set up Dinho's goal in the first derby last season.
Actually Carlo's Milan were dominating smaller teams when Seedorf was out.
Gabriel489 is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58   #614

GeoTav

Registered User
 
GeoTav's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2008
Location: Dunkerque (France)
Fave Players: Almost all AC Milan players
GeoTav is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983 View Post
I don't regret Carlo leaving, I still believe it was the right decision (and I'm really pleased for him at how he's doing at Chelsea). His Milan last season seriously suffered without Kaka and I'm pretty sure there was an article somewhere that showed the results dropped badly when Kaka was missing.

Leo, whilst he is making mistakes and is struggling, has improved a couple of issues like we're pressing higher up the pitch and holding possession better.

Kaka set up Dinho's goal in the first derby last season.
I don't blame Leo and I don't think that firing him now would be a good solution (and it would be extremely irrespectful from our management as THEY convinced him to take that job).

But saying the team improved in these two issues since the start of the season is false:
- our pressing is useless, do you notice how even with 3 players pressing one single player from our opponents, they always manage to keep the ball ... and physically, that is a bad thing as the players who press are more tired because they run for nothing. The pressing should start around the central circle (in opponents part).
- we don't hold the ball, we don't have a real possession (even if against Zurich, it looked like 61-39 I think), most of the time, our possession is 10 passes between our defenders, and then a long ball or a short pass to a midfielder that will lead to a loss of possession. That happens 20 times a game ...

I'd like to say you're right, but I didn't see any improvement in our team since the first game, unfortunately ...
GeoTav is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 04:55   #615

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTav View Post
I don't blame Leo and I don't think that firing him now would be a good solution (and it would be extremely irrespectful from our management as THEY convinced him to take that job).

But saying the team improved in these two issues since the start of the season is false:
- our pressing is useless, do you notice how even with 3 players pressing one single player from our opponents, they always manage to keep the ball ... and physically, that is a bad thing as the players who press are more tired because they run for nothing. The pressing should start around the central circle (in opponents part).
- we don't hold the ball, we don't have a real possession (even if against Zurich, it looked like 61-39 I think), most of the time, our possession is 10 passes between our defenders, and then a long ball or a short pass to a midfielder that will lead to a loss of possession. That happens 20 times a game ...

I'd like to say you're right, but I didn't see any improvement in our team since the first game, unfortunately ...
I'm not saying our pressing game is particularly good, we're doing many things wrong and I'm not going to deny it. My point was with Carlo we were often dropping extremely deep and inviting pressure from opponents, something which isn't the case so much now.

Same goes with holding possession. Carlo's Milan was terrible at holding possession and it forced us back and allowed opponents to make us suffer. Right now this isn't the case so much.

However, I can't say you're wrong either. Our high pressing and possession in games is ultimately useless as we're not getting anywhere. This is something Leo needs to sort out, basically getting more structure to our play and quicker movement and transition from defence to attack. This isn't anything new, Carlo's Milan had the same problems and relied on individual brilliance to bail us out, something Leo really doesn't have now.

I think Leo has improved us a little as team unit, but his work doesn't show as we have so many other problems. Having lost leaders in Maldini and Kaka (who structured our attacks last season) is a massive loss to say the least. Then there are declines in the side such as Zambrotta and Gattuso which weren't really prepared for. Both were important players when playing last year, while this year both look physically incapable of keeping up with younger players.

Even with Dinho, last year when he played he did have his moments in many matches which helped the team win. This year he's offering pretty much nothing on the field. Besides Siena he's been terrible.

Leo's got more problems than Carlo had to face right now, and whilst some might be of his own making (we can't say unless we know what happens when the doors are closed), it was evident many existed during Carlo's time here.

The biggest person at fault I feel is Berlu. He's not invested anything and suddenly expects us to shift from one club ethos to a completely new one, which we simply haven't invested enough into over the past years to remain competitive.
ACMILAN1983 is offline  
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.