AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Games & Tactics > UEFA Champions League

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-05-2005, 11:51   #766

Stezagud

Registered User
 
Stezagud's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: England
Fave Players: Keano (ret), Rooney, Maldini
Stezagud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if he didn't dive, he probably would have scored either way - so that is besides the point. he was right in front of goal and all he had to do was slot it past dida. which is why the ref gave the penalty because he thought "no way he would dive in such a clear scoring position".
Its true, Gerrard had no reason to go down if he wasnt touched as it was rolling into his path. It looked to me that Gattuso caught his left leg which broke his stride, putting his right leg out of sync. He did make a meal of it though, throwing his arms forward which always look bad afterwards and i dont know why anyone does it, the more theatrical it looks the more likely the ref will think its a dive

2) should have been a yellow, and same for Gattuso on the penalty. Both probably meant to do what they did but did it in such a way as to put doubt in the refs mind, so he couldnt send either of them off.

3) He was nowhere near outside of his box he was far enough off his line for it to be a retake though. I think Serginho missing the first was the crucial penalty as it put extra pressure on the remaining Milan takers and took some off Liverpools players. Thats not to blame Serginho who was brave enough to step forward, just pointing out that the order is crucial.

4) Baros definately didnt touch it and there was nothing wrong with the goal itself. One thing worth mentioning is that the game should have been stopped about 30 seconds earlier when the linesman flagged for offside against Liverpool and the ref ignored him. The ref shouldnt have ignored him as Milan didnt gain any advantage from clearing it, instead Liverpool kept possession and went on to score from the move

5) Sheva was offside imho.


All of this is really besides the point though, a 3 - 0 lead with 45minutes to go is a situation any team wanting to be Champions of Europe should be able to control. The way the players seemed lost and confused after Gerrard pulled one back was shocking, particularly when the past records of these players is examined. Seasoned pro's who have played at the highest level for years and they didnt know how to deal with the situation
__________________
'Well, Clive, it's all about the two Ms - movement and positioning.' - Big Ron
Stezagud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 11:54   #767

DeMeTrIo

Registered User
 
DeMeTrIo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Fave Players: Albertini Higuita Pirlo Rui Costa Sheva
DeMeTrIo
It comes true.. History Repeat itself
__________________
I Live In Singapore!
DeMeTrIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:18   #768

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatanov
I just wonder when this JDT beating will finally stop. He missed one opportunity, you and others say, but how about Sheva, who missed an even better opportinity - twice - and took that penalty like a 10-year old would have, how about the rest of the team in midfield and defence, who were naive enough to allow to be hypnotized by their sense of total superiority over Liverpool.
I for one thing would love to see JDT leave Milan and that is that he would finally get the appreciation he deserves and stop being scapegoated by ignorant Milan fans.
Ahh, zlatanov...I will not pretend that I am not insulted by your very direct refrence to me being ignorant....however, since we are all upset, I will ignore it. After all, if being ignorant is what I am, why not ignore? However, seek to refrain from doing so in the future, as my magnanimity is not limitless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudrup
Tactically Carlo's Milan seemed much better prepared than Liverpool and Benitez. The first half was as clear evidence as you get. Liverpool were not at all organized to shut down our key players - Kaka' and Pirlo - those two were simply allowed to do as they please.

In my opinion what happened in the 2nd half had very little to do with Liverpool's tactical changes. The game was decided inside our player's minds. You'll need a psychologist rather than a tactician to solve those evident mental problems of this Milan.

From a tactical point of view Carletto clearly won this match
I agree with you insofar as tactics are concerned Laudrup, but my focus is on the fact that we seemingly didnt think that Liverpool could score...something I think is the coach´s responsibility to remind the players:
a) that there were 45 minutes left to play, and
b) to encourage them to continue to play as we did in the first.

Milan players had mentally already gone on the podium, picked up the trophy, and were on the plane back to Milan in those 5 fateful minutes. For this, only Carlo can be blamed IMO...(I didnt want to get into finger pointing at all in any post match analysis, but this one for me is unavoidable) he should have done more to ensure that we didnt fall asleep in the remaining 45 minutes.

As for Sheva´s misses, well, it happens to the best of us, and he is due for a few of those, after some of the wonder goals he has given us, and not only this season. His penalty was almost predicated on the misses by our two penalty specialists, Serghino and Pirlo, who unbelievably (like so much in this game) produced awful kicks....when you go two down in a shootout, it is almost impossible to recover mentally.

After all Sheva has done for Milan, he should never be compared to a JDT, whose contribution is minimal when put in relation to Sheva´s efforts all season.
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:18   #769

Laudrup

Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12 2000
Location: Cph.
Laudrup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You could see it in the players' faces, particularly when they took their PKs. It's not the first time, and it's something that will have to be addressed.
Preferably by use of severe physical punishment

It’s simply unforgivable to throw away a match like that. And then blame fate or supernatural powers for your insufficient moral. If Liverpool’s players had blamed fate at halftime they’d have lost 6-0. Crespo’s post-game comments just illustrate the difference in mentality between those two sides. Even before the penalty shoot-out Milan’s players had given up as opposed to considering it an extraordinary opportunity to win the most prestigious tournament on earth.

"When I saw the great save from Dudek against Shevchenko I say to myself 'bye bye', this is not possible something like this. You see a moment like that and you think, it is not going to be our night."

It reminded me of Italy’s players at that time when France equalised a 1-0 lead in the Euro final 2000. It was 1-1 and there was still all to play for. Yet not a single Italian player believed in it in spite of the fact that they’d been the better side throughout the match.

Unforgivable.
Laudrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:27   #770

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudrup
Preferably by use of severe physical punishment

It’s simply unforgivable to throw away a match like that. And then blame fate or supernatural powers for your insufficient moral. If Liverpool’s players had blamed fate at halftime they’d have lost 6-0. Crespo’s post-game comments just illustrate the difference in mentality between those two sides. Even before the penalty shoot-out Milan’s players had given up as opposed to considering it an extraordinary opportunity to win the most prestigious tournament on earth.

"When I saw the great save from Dudek against Shevchenko I say to myself 'bye bye', this is not possible something like this. You see a moment like that and you think, it is not going to be our night."

It reminded me of Italy’s players at that time when France equalised a 1-0 lead in the Euro final 2000. It was 1-1 and there was still all to play for. Yet not a single Italian player believed in it in spite of the fact that they’d been the better side throughout the match.

Unforgivable.
Hear hear! The unfortunate truth...
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:39   #771

zlatanov

Moderator
 
zlatanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Location: Nowhere near San Siro :(
Fave Players: Zinedine Zidane, Genarro Gattuso, Alessandro Nesta
zlatanov is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMeTrIo
It comes true.. History Repeat itself
especially when we did our best to make it happen
zlatanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:41   #772

Nadir

Registered User
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Nadir is on a distinguished road
agreed 100%. poor maldini went through it so many times. against brazil in 94, against france in 2000, against boca, against liverpool now.
Nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:42   #773

mk18

BANNED!
 
mk18's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Location: amman, JORDAN
Fave Players: maldini, sheva, baggio, weah, mvb, cruyff
mk18 is on a distinguished road
about point 4... ignore the point whether baros handeled it or not... he was still in an offside position and it affected the play and if shevas goal 2 years ago vs juve didnt count then surely this one shouldnt!
mk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:46   #774

zlatanov

Moderator
 
zlatanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Location: Nowhere near San Siro :(
Fave Players: Zinedine Zidane, Genarro Gattuso, Alessandro Nesta
zlatanov is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan
Ahh, zlatanov...I will not pretend that I am not insulted by your very direct refrence to me being ignorant....however, since we are all upset, I will ignore it. After all, if being ignorant is what I am, why not ignore? However, seek to refrain from doing so in the future, as my magnanimity is not limitless...
True it is not limitless but I meant "ignorant" as a word that is stronger than "unfair" - it is really getting out of line putting the blame on one and the same players when the whole team messed up last night. If we have to be objective, based on last night's performance, Sheva cost us much more than JDT but still it is the Dane, who is being crussified and somehow all sorts of excuses are found to defend Sheva's performance.
I have the feeling that Tomasson would have ben blamed even if he never got to play in the CL final.
zlatanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 12:49   #775

Nadir

Registered User
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Nadir is on a distinguished road
their faces before the PK's showed "We lost this game - this is just a formality to hand the cup to Liverpool."
The fans knew it, the players knew it, the liverpool players and fan knew it too. they lost the game a long time ago.
Nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 13:02   #776

zlatanov

Moderator
 
zlatanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2003
Location: Nowhere near San Siro :(
Fave Players: Zinedine Zidane, Genarro Gattuso, Alessandro Nesta
zlatanov is on a distinguished road
you can't just use one particular game from 2 years ago as an example that you think justifies your point. There are many other games when goals like that one counted and many others when they were disallowed - it all depends on the referee's decision in that particular situation.
Again, your avatar is out of date.
zlatanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 13:23   #777

Laudrup

Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12 2000
Location: Cph.
Laudrup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree with you insofar as tactics are concerned Laudrup, but my focus is on the fact that we seemingly didnt think that Liverpool could score...something I think is the coach´s responsibility to remind the players:
a) that there were 45 minutes left to play, and
b) to encourage them to continue to play as we did in the first.
I'm actually sure he did, Warro.

Quote:
Milan players had mentally already gone on the podium, picked up the trophy, and were on the plane back to Milan in those 5 fateful minutes. For this, only Carlo can be blamed IMO...(I didnt want to get into finger pointing at all in any post match analysis, but this one for me is unavoidable) he should have done more to ensure that we didnt fall asleep in the remaining 45 minutes.
As I said, I'm sure he did point out the risks at half time, even though dealing with VERY experienced players. Milan approached the second half the same way they'd approached the first one and nearly made it 4-0. But it's something that happens inside the players minds the minute Liverpool makes it 1-3, they get caught in the moment, the fear (the Deportivo syndrom) takes over and at this point it's limited what a coach can do imo. As pointed out by Ruffian, it's a problem that necessarily needs to be adressed and in my mind it's the responsibility of not one person but many.

About Ancelotti in general, there'll come a time when every manager has done his utmost for a team, when new ideas need to be tried out. I'm of the opinion that we're better off with Carlo for now but he will need to solve some issues and most importantly get the results.
Laudrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 13:25   #778

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatanov
True it is not limitless but I meant "ignorant" as a word that is stronger than "unfair" - it is really getting out of line putting the blame on one and the same players when the whole team messed up last night. If we have to be objective, based on last night's performance, Sheva cost us much more than JDT but still it is the Dane, who is being crussified and somehow all sorts of excuses are found to defend Sheva's performance.
I have the feeling that Tomasson would have ben blamed even if he never got to play in the CL final.
Ok, I take your explanation...

JDT is being crucified (though I am yet to see a single cross) because he missed a sitter. He was fresh, alone in front of the goal, had time to control the ball, and slide it past what would have been a stranded Dudek...Sheva´s miss I can more understand, as he had much less time to decide how to kick the ball than JDT had.

Yet at no point did I exonerate the entire team for not playing the same game we did in the 1st 45 minutes....I blamed the coach more so than the players, but that was again because I didnt wish to belabour "who was to blame"...I do confess to singling out JDT, because that miss underscored why I feel he is not Milan quality.

Actually, I gave up when I saw him coming on the field, as I just knew he would miss an all important goal..so thought...so done...

I wouldnt misconstrue evidence for Sheva´s worth as
Quote:
excuses...found to defend Sheva's performance
...he did miss two great chances, but I beg to point out that were it not for his many UCL goals, we wouldnt be in the final in the first place...how many of JDT´s goals were match winners for us in the UCL? The strike in the San Siro to make it 2-0? Yes, that was important...so he did make a small contribution...where I feel he has hurt us most, apart from the missed opportunity in the final, was in denying Pippo an opportunity to play...he most certainly would have scored, at least one goal.

He is a big match player if there ever was one...JDT just goes around claming other peoples goals....and he can go to Bongo FC for all I care...just as long as its far far far away from Milan.
__________________
I Love Milan.
Warro Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 13:26   #779

mk18

BANNED!
 
mk18's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Location: amman, JORDAN
Fave Players: maldini, sheva, baggio, weah, mvb, cruyff
mk18 is on a distinguished road
i love carlo and i want him to stay but maybe he shouldve atleast encouraged them during PKs to win it... the way rafa did at HT
mk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2005, 13:34   #780

mk18

BANNED!
 
mk18's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Location: amman, JORDAN
Fave Players: maldini, sheva, baggio, weah, mvb, cruyff
mk18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan
Ok, I take your explanation...

JDT is being crucified (though I am yet to see a single cross) because he missed a sitter. He was fresh, alone in front of the goal, had time to control the ball, and slide it past what would have been a stranded Dudek...Sheva´s miss I can more understand, as he had much less time to decide how to kick the ball than JDT had.

Yet at no point did I exonerate the entire team for not playing the same game we did in the 1st 45 minutes....I blamed the coach more so than the players, but that was again because I didnt wish to belabour "who was to blame"...I do confess to singling out JDT, because that miss underscored why I feel he is not Milan quality.

Actually, I gave up when I saw him coming on the field, as I just knew he would miss an all important goal..so thought...so done...

I wouldnt misconstrue evidence for Sheva´s worth as ...he did miss two great chances, but I beg to point out that were it not for his many UCL goals, we wouldnt be in the final in the first place...how many of JDT´s goals were match winners for us in the UCL? The strike in the San Siro to make it 2-0? Yes, that was important...so he did make a small contribution...where I feel he has hurt us most, apart from the missed opportunity in the final, was in denying Pippo an opportunity to play...he most certainly would have scored, at least one goal.

He is a big match player if there ever was one...JDT just goes around claming other peoples goals....and he can go to Bongo FC for all I care...just as long as its far far far away from Milan.

im not against tomasson the way u are infact i stuck by him when people attacked him... but the chance he got was just pathetic, it was pathetic how he wanted to deal with it, the way he approached the ball was too slow, the way he wanted to shoot it was pathetic and moreover the way he fell down was also pathetic, as if he acted like he 'tried' to reach for the ball but couldnt get it, it was so close to him and so easy to take down that i am sure any other striker wouldve atleast done that and probably end it by scoring the ball... in shevas case the header was a normal shot, so what the keeper saved it no one can do anything about it and to be fair it was a great hader that goes in most of the time, the rebound was 1000000000000000% luck for liverpool, it hit dudeks shoulder and no one really expected that (it seemed like the ball didnt want to go in for us anymore), though i think that maybe sheva should have slotted it into dudeks left instead of going for power but the tempo of the game was so fast that he had absolutly no time to think plus it was in the dying seconds!
mk18 is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.