AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Discussions

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-2004, 06:38   #1

Giovanni

Registered User
 
Giovanni's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: Torino, Italia
Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
European v South American football

a couple of years ago i was on holiday in barcelona and on the Rambla i sitted in a dehor.. then i met this argentinian waiter, and i had a little discussion about which football is the best

my point was that, recognised the enormous amount of talent south america has, it must be disciplined and europe is the place where rough diamonds get refined..therefore i stated the superiority of european football all around, as a more refined football entity where the best south american players want to play in, even leaving their excellent south american teams to play in minor european ones, which is a clear prove the european football is highly regarded as the best to play in..i continued saying european football is where all the tactical news come from and the continent where almost all the great clubs belong to

his point was good as well, saying the south american is the best football in the real meaning of the word, the best played from a technical/spectacular point of view and that it's tactically good as well
his good points where the number of WC won by south american NTs and the quality of the football all around. Plus a good part of the best players in the world are south americans (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, pelè, maradona, Ronaldinho, Kakà) and they are the most exciting to watch

Opinions

[this is a thread i opened on XT but i want to share it with you as well, even if there we have a plenty of brazilians and argentinians so the point of view is a little less biased]
__________________
MILAN: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 07:03   #2

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
ahhhhhhhh I am latinoso.... I love only latin america [south america]!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no doubts that the best fans are from there.... the live in football they trust in it... and we europeans are bored about everything we do not need anything except still and nice end of life...
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 07:48   #3

Giovanni

Registered User
 
Giovanni's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: Torino, Italia
Fave Players: Gli Immortali/ Gli Invincibili/ I Meravigliosi
Giovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura aboutGiovanni has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rae
ahhhhhhhh I am latinoso.... I love only latin america [south america]!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no doubts that the best fans are from there.... the live in football they trust in it... and we europeans are bored about everything we do not need anything except still and nice end of life...
what part in this unbiased judgement have latinas chicks?






__________________
MILAN: IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 08:48   #4

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
what part in this unbiased judgement have latinas chicks?






can't blame a man for lovin the senoritas
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 09:40   #5

rae

BANNED
 
rae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Memel, Lithuania
Fave Players: Costacurta Giggs & Rui Costa
rae is on a distinguished road
shhhhhhhhh ..... you have no shame telling this in daylight....
I love only Nata
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 22:18   #6

Goirre

Moderator
 
Goirre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Summerland, US
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini-Franco Baresi-Billy Costacurta
Goirre is on a distinguished road
Well, first of all there is something that needs to be clarified: are you asking which football is better at club team level? or rather at national team level? big difference!

At club team level, European football is the best hands down. Few South American players can resist an offer from a big team in one of the main European leagues (Italy, Spain, England, etc.), and many others would still fly to Europe even if the offer was from a small team in these leagues, or from a decent team from a "less popular" European league. So yes, most of the best players end up there (most, not all), and partly thanks to that, European football at club team level is simply the best.

Now the question should be: "why is this?" I mean, why do South American players want to go to Europe so badly? Well, it is not that hard to understand them really. You can list many reasons, but the main one is MONEY. As simple as that.

Lets try to put this in a simple way....

Point 1. European countries in general have much more money than South American countries (surprised? )

Point 2. Teams in Europe (especially the big ones, or those from more popular leagues) get a lot of money from selling their merchandise, from TV contracts, from advertising, from so many things that South America simply cannot match because of our economic situation.

Therefore:

Point 3. The average European team has MUCH more money to spend than the average South American team, and this allows the European teams to be able to attract almost any South American footballer by offering them contracts and benefits that their current South American teams can't even dream of matching.

Point 4. The fact that European teams in general are now allowed to sign more foreign players than before has only increased the "demand" for South American players. So now the European leagues can benefit from even more "South American talent".....but not only that......signing more great players from other countries also results in even more revenues for the clubs thanks to improved TV contracts and advertising and so on. As an example, Milan signed Cafu and Kaka.....well, I assure you that since then even more Brazilians (as well as people from all around the world) wanted to watch Milan. The European leagues and European networks know this, and of course they are "willing" to negotiate TV rights with South American networks, and thus making a heavy profit.....which ultimately goes to benefit the clubs too of course. Yes, there goes even more money for the European leagues and teams to invest on their next moves. In the meantime, South American teams can only continue to supply their talents.


Well, I could talk about this all night and go into further details and so on. But I think it should make perfect sense to everyone that European football at club level is better than South American football mainly because it is in Europe, and not South America, where the money is.

If the conditions in South America where the same as in Europe (organization-wise, economic-wise and so on), and therefore, if South American players were to stay in South America, then South American football would easily be at the very same level of European football. I would even venture to say that South American football would be more competitive than European football, but understandably, that would be debatable, and I see no point in debating something based on "ifs" and "woulds" that, unfortunately for South America, will never happen, at least not in the forseeable future.



-------------------------------------------------------------------


Something similar happens at national team level. Although in this case I don't see a European superiority over South America. In South America, few national teams have the conditions to grow and prepare properly. This is a huge problem that few European countries have to endure. Once again, the reason for this lies mainly on the economic factor. I'll give just one example. In my country, Bolivia, football is the most popular sport. I have seen AMAZING players in action that don't even make it to local teams. Why? there is little logistic and economic support from the sports authorities. We don't have the resources to open and maintain football schools to search and develop football talents. A LOT of talent goes unseen. Big loss. Correct me if I am wrong, but very few European countries have to endure a similar problem. This of course, is just an example of one problem, out of possibly tons more, that we have to endure.....and all partly because of our economic situation that is nowhere near Europe's.

I would love to give more examples and go into more details. But for now what I wrote should be enough. If anyone disagrees with me with something I said I will gladly go into futher details to make my position more clear.

ALL South American countries face similar problems, some less than other of course. Those that have less of these problems (Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay) are, not surprisingly, the most successful ones in the continent. Curiously, even with this "handicap", at national team level, South America is still at the same level as Europe. This leads me to think that if the conditions were the same in Europe and South America, South America would be a step ahead. No doubt.

Unfortunately the conditions will never be the same in both continents, at least not in the forseeable future. But, Giovanni, I will use your Argentinian friend's words and say that, in the "real and pure" meaning of the word, South American football IS the best.


Just my two cents......for anyone that reached this point of my post and didn't fall asleep: Thanks!
__________________
!!!FORZA MAGICO MILAN!!!

!!!VIVA EL BOLIVAR CARAJO!!!


Serie A Prediction League 2002/2003 Champion
Serie A Prediction League 2003/2004 Champion
Goirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 22:56   #7

Josh

Registered User
 
Join Date: 08 2003
Location: Port Townsend, USA
Fave Players: Maldini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Adrian Mutu
Josh is on a distinguished road
Goirre is absolutely correct about the "money" factor. In the 60's every kid in Brazil dreamt of playing for Santos or Flamengo or Cruzeiro. Today, they all dream of Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. No wonder their clubs are only "farms" for very young players, or last choice for those who cannot make it to Europe, Japan, or even Qatar. Economics and markets dictate the big migration out of Brazil, Argentina, and others.

The South Americans kids start to practice football at the age of 5, and often skip school (or drop out alltogether) to devote themselves to the game. No wonder they are so talented and have such ball control. Pele started his professional career at 12 or 13, when most European kids were still in grammar school. In a recent trip to Brazil, I saw with my own eyes tiny (8 or 9 year old) children playing in a neighborhood field with such movement and ball control you could swear they were born with the football. They also seem to have more joy in attacking, dribbling and knowing where the teammate is almost instinctively. They could pass the ball with their eyes closed.

The European game is much more disciplined and the defenses are more effective.

I predict that in 10 or 15 years from now, African countries will reach the next level in quality, and become truely competitive with Europe and South America. In 40 years the Chinese will catch up and will buy all the talented players with the money they are making now (by selling us cheap goods).

The British, however, will always have cricket and badminton, because no one else is interested in those....
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 03:15   #8

Goirre

Moderator
 
Goirre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Summerland, US
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini-Franco Baresi-Billy Costacurta
Goirre is on a distinguished road
well, well, from the lack of responses I assume that we do agree that South American football is indeed the "better one"
__________________
!!!FORZA MAGICO MILAN!!!

!!!VIVA EL BOLIVAR CARAJO!!!


Serie A Prediction League 2002/2003 Champion
Serie A Prediction League 2003/2004 Champion
Goirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 03:20   #9

XZeRo3003

Registered User
 
XZeRo3003's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2004
Location: USA, San Francisco Bay area, California
Fave Players: Marquez, Kaká, Pires, Henry
XZeRo3003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goirre
well, well, from the lack of responses I assume that we do agree that South American football is indeed the "better one"
I agree with everything you said Carlos, but I was actually been wanting to tell you about Joaquin Botero.

Just Curious, did you watch Pumas Match on Wednesday?

Anyways, Joaquin scored the second goal, then he had the tightest celebration EVER. I don't know why I thought it was so tight, but his pose was SO majestic. and he took off his shirt, so they gave him a yellow card. But anyways, simply my favorite celebration ever, I want to recorde so I can put it on my avatar or whatever, simply the BEST CELEBRATION EVER I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY!
XZeRo3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 04:32   #10

Goirre

Moderator
 
Goirre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Summerland, US
Fave Players: Paolo Maldini-Franco Baresi-Billy Costacurta
Goirre is on a distinguished road
I did know Botero scored twice in that match to help Pumas to a 3-0 victory...but I didn't watch his goals, and therefore neither his celebrations. Though I did know he received that yellow card, plus a second one (very unfair) to get a red. He seems to doing much better this season, I mean, he is Pumas top scorer

anyway, let me know if you get a video or pictures of those goals and/or celebrations
__________________
!!!FORZA MAGICO MILAN!!!

!!!VIVA EL BOLIVAR CARAJO!!!


Serie A Prediction League 2002/2003 Champion
Serie A Prediction League 2003/2004 Champion
Goirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 09:39   #11

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I predict that in 10 or 15 years from now, African countries will reach the next level in quality, and become truely competitive with Europe and South America. In 40 years the Chinese will catch up and will buy all the talented players with the money they are making now (by selling us cheap goods).

The British, however, will always have cricket and badminton, because no one else is interested in those....
I think Asian football may develop faster than African.

As for the British having cricket and badminton. In cricket, Australia (ok, they're descendants of the British) and other countries (e.g. India and Pakistan) have probably got a better history than Britain and Australia are near unstoppable right now if I'm correct (I'm not a cricket fan, so feel free to correct me). As for Badminton, Asian countries (particularly China) are much better than Britain.
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 14:00   #12

Stezagud

Registered User
 
Stezagud's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2003
Location: England
Fave Players: Keano (ret), Rooney, Maldini
Stezagud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In cricket, Australia (ok, they're descendants of the British) and other countries (e.g. India and Pakistan) have probably got a better history than Britain and Australia are near unstoppable right now if I'm correct (I'm not a cricket fan, so feel free to correct me).
sounds right to me

Australia is by far the best team and everyone else plays for 2nd place. England can possibly claim to be 2nd at the moment (i think they officially are in the rankings) but in reality SOuth Africa, India and Pakistan are all roughly equal to England and the young Windies side is catching up too....You're right about Badminton too

We do still have Darts though

Anyway, back to the subject, I agree with Goirre and he has pretty much covered al the major arguments in that post
__________________
'Well, Clive, it's all about the two Ms - movement and positioning.' - Big Ron
Stezagud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:06   #13

Il Duce

BANNED!
 
Join Date: 03 2007
Il Duce is on a distinguished road
This is a silly subject to even debate. All facts prove that South American football has always been, and still is the BEST.

The only reason top football players go to Europe is for the money, and NOT because the football "is better" LOL.

I will debate and crush anyone who tries to say otherwise.
Il Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:09   #14

Il Duce

BANNED!
 
Join Date: 03 2007
Il Duce is on a distinguished road
Football numbers prove South America better then Europe

To even have a discussion that European football is better then South American football is foolish. The numbers prove that South American football has always been, and still is the BEST.

The only reason top football players go to Europe is for the money, and NOT because the football "is better" LOL.

I will debate and crush anyone who tries to say otherwise.
Il Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2007, 13:15   #15

Jim_UK

Registered User
 
Jim_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2001
Location: England
Jim_UK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMILAN1983
As for Badminton, Asian countries (particularly China) are much better than Britain.
Maybe on the whole they are, however Robertson and Emms are pretty much top of the tree in Badminton doubles and aren't too far off the best pair in the world. They're certainly the best in Europe.

South American football is just like football from any other part of the world, they have their good games/players and their rubbish games/players.

Plus the games are so stop start because of all the fouls/dives.
__________________
... Is watching you ...
Jim_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:24.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.