AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > COMMUNITY > Italian Football

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-2005, 14:16   #1

Lombardia

Registered User
 
Lombardia's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2004
Fave Players: sheva robert ballack boban
Lombardia is on a distinguished road
Maldini's shirt to be retired

Milan have decided to retire the number 3 shirt once maldini decides to stop playing. a dully deserving honour for the capitano who has spent 20 memorable and v succesful years at the club.
__________________
schumacher: world champion 2000-2004
ferrari: constructor champions 1999-2004
milan: serie a champions 2004
milan: super cup champions 2004

ny rangers: champions once in last 60 years
Lombardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 14:24   #2

iregk

Registered User
 
iregk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2004
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Fave Players: Sheva, Kaka, Maldini
iregk is an unknown quantity at this point
Good call. The man is a legend. But I thought Fifa or Uefa stopped the retirement of shirts a couple of years back?
__________________
---------------------
Two colours, One love
iregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 15:50   #3

Debs

Administrator
 
Debs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 1999
Location: Planet Earth
Fave Players: Maldini......
Debs will become famous soon enough


There was never any doubt, this was said several years ago actually! But let's hope this doesn't happen for a few more years.....
__________________
...not your normal paranormal....
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 16:12   #4

Franco6

Registered User
 
Franco6's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Location: Malta
Fave Players: Van Basten Baresi Maldini Gattuso Nesta
Franco6 is on a distinguished road
Guys I do not agree with this one for these reasons:

1: ok Maldini is a legend and stayed with us for 20 years BUT, Baresi was the only player to stay with us when we where in serie B. In 1982 Baresi was a great player (infact he was called in the Ialian NT for the 82 WC) but he remained with us. Maybe Maldini COULD have descided differently in his place.
Besides that about 2 years ago i read an interview of Maldini in which he said that if he still had 28 years and Real would want him, he might take their offer into consideration.

2: By retireing the No. 3 (maybe also the No. 5) plus the no. 6 our numbers would be like that of a rugby team.
__________________
CAMPIONI D'EUROPA No.7
Franco6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 22:07   #5

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Can't say I agree Franco, but I guess thats your opinion.

Personally, I think Maldini has earnt this honour
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 23:42   #6

jani

Registered User
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Milanello
jani is on a distinguished road
Nah, Billy's number won't be retired.

I highly doubt that.

Anyways, its a good call and iregk, if Im not mistaken, FIFA only disallowed number retiring for National Teams.
__________________
I've got a devil in me
jani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 01:27   #7

Xudong

Registered User
 
Xudong's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2000
Location: U.S.
Xudong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco6
Guys I do not agree with this one for these reasons:

1: ok Maldini is a legend and stayed with us for 20 years BUT, Baresi was the only player to stay with us when we where in serie B. In 1982 Baresi was a great player (infact he was called in the Ialian NT for the 82 WC) but he remained with us. Maybe Maldini COULD have descided differently in his place.
Besides that about 2 years ago i read an interview of Maldini in which he said that if he still had 28 years and Real would want him, he might take their offer into consideration.

2: By retireing the No. 3 (maybe also the No. 5) plus the no. 6 our numbers would be like that of a rugby team.
you can't seriously blame paolo for milan's staying in top league, right?

i am sure that paolo was just being polite to real madrid (actually what i heard is chelsea when vialli was in charge). even baresi went to inter first and got rejected.
__________________
FORZA MILAN

Last edited by Xudong; 29-01-2005 at 01:30.
Xudong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 08:33   #8

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
I think the practise of retiring shirt number is wrong. Apart from being impractical, what better way to inspire newer players than to let them where the shirt numbers of their hero's? I guess I am also "old school", as I prefer the first team to where shirt numbers 1 to 11.

Having said that, given that there is a policy to retire jersey numbers, noone is more deserving than Maldini
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 09:00   #9

Franco6

Registered User
 
Franco6's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2004
Location: Malta
Fave Players: Van Basten Baresi Maldini Gattuso Nesta
Franco6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xudong
even baresi went to inter first and got rejected.

Yes but Baresi did that when he was not yet in Milan's first team squad so to play with his elder brother Beppe.
__________________
CAMPIONI D'EUROPA No.7
Franco6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2005, 09:21   #10

almilan

Registered User
 
almilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07 2004
Location: Ireland
Fave Players: Maldini, Baresi, Gullit, Shevchenko, Kaka
almilan is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with the decision to retire his jersey
i for one could not imagine watching milan in a few years time with someone else wearing the number 3 jersey. for me the number 3 will always be don paolo's

i even found it seriously strange watching italy and zambrotta wearing the number 3


here is a report from www.channel4.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan retire Maldini jersey Friday 28 January, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Diego Maradona and Gigi Riva, Milan have now announced that nobody will wear Paolo Maldini’s Number 3 jersey once he retires.

The Rossoneri captain has spent his entire club career at the San Siro and won every trophy available, so when he hangs up his boots, that shirt will be alongside them.


“Paolo will go on playing for many years to come,” assured Vice-President Adriano Galliani this evening. “He represents the history of this club and when he decides to stop, his shirt will be retired.”


Maldini, who marked the 20th anniversary of his Serie A debut this month, is not the first Milan star to be granted this honour, as his old teammate Franco Baresi’s Number 6 jersey was also retired.


It is becoming something of a trend in Serie A, with Napoli retiring Diego Armando Maradona's Number 10 and Cagliari putting aside Gigi Riva's 11 shirt.


“It is very satisfying and I did secretly hope for this gesture, because I think I gave a great deal to this team over the years,” said the captain. “The club has always been kind and respectful, which is a rare thing indeed in this business.”


The press conference was called due to a new DVD out in Italian shops looking back at Maldini’s career and an interview with the man himself.


“I opened up here even if I am a very reserved person,” he explained. “I consider myself a normal guy and the respect I have from others is the best aspect of my career.”


Maldini also looked at the current situation, as the return of Jaap Stam has pushed him out to a more demanding left-back position and seemingly damaged Milan’s defensive set-up.


“I am a central defender and Carlo Ancelotti knows that full well,” warned the 37-year-old. “He also knows I would never refuse to help the team and I did play as a left-back for many years. Such a great player as Stam can never damage a team and our overall approach remains the same.”
almilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32   #11

meazza

Registered User
 
meazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Fave Players: maldini
meazza is on a distinguished road
I'm also of the opinion this is becoming a silly honor. I think maybe have a period of retirement, maybe even just a season is a good idea. It's respectful in that you're not instantly replacing the player but come on, we can't just keep retiring all the numbers forever. that's what the do in baseball and they're up to having 102 on their backs. in futurama they made the joke that they all had 44 3/21, because all the whole numbers had been retired.
__________________
I've had Delia Smith.
meazza is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.