AC Milan Forums  

Go Back   AC Milan Forums > AC MILAN > Games & Tactics

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-2005, 17:44   #1

Warro Bantan

Moderator
 
Warro Bantan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 1999
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
Fave Players: Rui Costa, Pirlo, Pato
Warro Bantan will become famous soon enough
No Pirlo, No Milan

Mods, if I am in the wrong forum, please feel free to move this post!

Ok, lets start with Galliani´s comment that we look totally out of sorts when Pirlo is absent...from channel4.com:
http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...ia/feb14b.html

Quote:
Milan Vice-president Adriano Galliani has described Andrea Pirlo as "irreplaceable" in the Rossoneri line-up.

The Italian missed last night’s 1-0 win at Reggina with injury and his absence was severely felt.

"We’ve not been able to find anybody on the transfer market as an alternative," Galliani stated. "Ariedo Braida and myself haven’t spotted anyone like Pirlo."

The loss of Pirlo is a major problem for the champions and Galliani has urged boss Carlo Ancelotti to recognise that fact.

"He is a player who can’t be replaced, therefore perhaps we should start thinking about playing in a different way," explained the San Siro chief.

"I’m not saying that Pirlo is the best player at this club, only that he has certain characteristics that can’t be substituted by somebody else.

"The four man defence is a characteristic of ours but perhaps there could be some changes made to the midfield.

"I’m not questioning Ancelotti who is a great Coach. I just want to point out that without Pirlo, we haven’t played in the Milan way at either Livorno or Reggina."

Can I get an "amen"?

It took long enough, but finally top management is through with Carlo and his insistence on playing Ambro and Gattuso when Pirlo is absent.

This has been something that I have been beating my gums (and wearing both keyboard and fingers out) about for some time now.

I watched 85% of the Reggina game, and let me tell you, I was embarassed.

We looked like a Serie A minnow, holding on for a draw, (or a one goal win) incapable of stringing 3 passes together for the majority of the match.

What I recommend, is when we cant field Pirlo, for whatever reason, we need to, as Galliani has suggested, change our tactics to better accommodate the players that we can field.

May I suggest a formation change then? How about a 4-3-2-1?

Let see:

Defense: Could care less, but lets do this properly:

Cafu---Nesta---Maldini----Kaladze/Pancaro

Seedorf---GattusoORAmbro----Dhorasso

----Rui Costa--Kaka----

-----Sheva-----

This way, we could have more stay at home defensive backs, with Gattuso dropping back when one or other goes on a (hopefully) marauding run up the flank...Seedorf and Dhorasso to be creative in the middle, while doing their fair share of tackling, and Rui and Kaka making amazing dribbles against packed defenses, allowing Sheva space to score.....

How hard is that Carlo?

If we field those two clowns against Man U, I guarantee a loss, with one or both getting red cards for late fouls on Ronaldo or the new boy, whats his name? Ahh Roony...or Ruud...who we all know is a dirty player (see the awful tackle on Cole in the Man U v Arsenal match).

Pirlo offers what most creative players lack, which is ball winning ability, combined with vision and passing to match that vision, a willingness to take the ball from the defender, or DM, and create an attacking move.

When we tried Rui in this role, he excelled, and for the life of me, I cant understand Carlo´s reluctance to try him in this role again. Pirlo will more than likely be out for our next match (Cagliari?) so that is the perfect opportunity for him to ring in the necessary changes.

Believe me, after yesterday´s performance, a want away Ambro can surely leave, as he cannot handle the central defensive midfield role at all at all at all.

Yet Vikash seems to be a likely replacement for Pirlo, though his tackling may not be up to par, but if Gattuso is given instructions to cover for the diminutive Frenchman, then this is an option that Carlo needs to look into.

What do u guys/gals think?
__________________
I Love Milan.

Last edited by Warro Bantan; 14-02-2005 at 17:52.
Warro Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 18:00   #2

Stefan

Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2005
Location: UK
Fave Players: Maldini, Sheva, Pirlo
Stefan is on a distinguished road
I watched the Reggina match and agree that the midfield looked dreadful without Pirlo. BUT he was playing last week against Lazio wasn't he, and the passing was still really bad for about 70 minutes of the game. I'm not disagreeing about his importance, but I think maybe the whole midfield is struggling with form at the moment, and I'm not sure Pirlo on his own will change that around.

I do agree about playing Dhorasoo though. I watched France v Sweden last week and he looked very good. I always rated him highly when he was at Lyon, and I saw Ancelotti saying recently how impressed he has been with him in training.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 19:05   #3

ACMILAN1983

Registered User
 
ACMILAN1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Maldini, Pirlo and rest of Milan
ACMILAN1983 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan
What I recommend, is when we cant field Pirlo, for whatever reason, we need to, as Galliani has suggested, change our tactics to better accommodate the players that we can field.
This is the most important part of this whole ordeal imo. We don't have someone who can fulfill the Pirlo role without a big drop in quality in the side (not even Dhorasoo or Rui).

However, I can't say I have a certain solution available, there are many there, Carlo needs to find a suitable one.

I agree with those who say Ambro and Gattuso shouldn't start together. Although providing a solid cover for the backline, we lose a lot from our attacking game as the side lacks the runners and creative players to develop attacks.

There is only one solution at the moment when Pirlo is out. It isn't to replace him, but to adopt a system that can work without him.
ACMILAN1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 19:18   #4

Laudrup

Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12 2000
Location: Cph.
Laudrup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warro Bantan
Can I get an "amen"?

It took long enough, but finally top management is through with Carlo and his insistence on playing Ambro and Gattuso when Pirlo is absent.
Ambro and Gattuso have started only five matches together this season, we won four of them and lost one. Ambro has started in eight Serie A games - Milan won the six of them, drew one and lost one.

You don't see Zio Fester mention the Gattuso-Ambro partnership. It's clear to us all by now, even to our dear Uncle Fester , that Pirlo is a player you can't replace. I don't necessarily disagree about a trio of Seedorf, Gattuso and Dhorasoo in Pirlo's absence, with Ringhio positioned centrally; neither of Vikash and Clarence are the regista kinds of players imo and without one of those a hard-working defensive midfielder must be preferred.

Last edited by Laudrup; 14-02-2005 at 19:20.
Laudrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 19:21   #5

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
I agree on two things:
1. Pirlo is irreplacable in his position
2. If Pirlo doesn't play it makes no sence to play the dimond formation midfield.

There are a couple of options IMO for when Pirlo does not play:
1. 4-3-2-1: Warro has allready elaborated on this formation
2. 4-2-3-1: Basically a variation on 1) as I envision this formation looking like this:

---------Sheva
-Seedorf-Kaka-Rui Costa
----Ambro-Gattuso

If we are in an attacking mood the three attacking mids could be Kaka-JDT-Rui
The bottom line for me is that it makes no sense to try to replace Pirlo with someone else. Regardless of what you think of his abilities, his characteristics are unique in the world for a player in that position (correct me if I am wrong)
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 19:39   #6

K77SH C

Registered User
 
K77SH C's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Kaka, Gourcuff and Cissokho
K77SH C is on a distinguished road
Just to throw a spanner in the works As much as I love Pirlo, there is one player who come sto mind who could "replace" him. Xavi from Barca, last season Pirlo was the best in this position, but this season it has to be Xavi. I dont think he would come to milan just to be a sub though.
__________________

Its SPEEDORF actually
K77SH C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 19:54   #7

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
Kash, you are right, I didn't think of Xavi. But as you said, he would not come to Milan to be a sub
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 20:14   #8

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Is our midfield look awful because we lack creativity IN ATTACK, or look awful bwecuase we lack ability in DEFENSE?

Do we defend like a serie B team, i.e., conceded goal even when we defend, or do we defend like a champion?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2005, 20:30   #9

Henrik

Registered User
 
Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: Barbados
Henrik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Is our midfield look awful because we lack creativity IN ATTACK, or look awful bwecuase we lack ability in DEFENSE?

Do we defend like a serie B team, i.e., conceded goal even when we defend, or do we defend like a champion?
IMO we lack mostly attacking ability when Pirlo is missing, we just don't seem to be able to change from defence to attack quickly enough without him. The other challance is that opponents know that without Pirlo, all attacks go thru Kaka (or Cafu which is a constant)
__________________
...and that is my opinion, but I could be wrong
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 02:04   #10

Jeff

Moderator
 
Join Date: 03 2002
Jeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik
IMO we lack mostly attacking ability when Pirlo is missing, we just don't seem to be able to change from defence to attack quickly enough without him. The other challance is that opponents know that without Pirlo, all attacks go thru Kaka (or Cafu which is a constant)
So can I take your proposition that we do NOT lack defending ability?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 03:31   #11

BaggioForever

Registered User
 
BaggioForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Location: Singapore
Fave Players: Cordino Divino, Paolo Maldini, King Shev
BaggioForever is on a distinguished road
We looked dreadful without Pirlo thats without a doubt. But like ACMILAN1983 had said, we shouldnt try to fill someone into his role but rather to adopt a system that can work without him.

Ambro and Gattuso can start together why not? From the stats, we are in favour when the both of them are playing together. Ambro like Ringho, are very good tacklers and ball-winners but Ambro has a slight advantage in heights which is essential in critical moments while Ringho has excellent stamina.

Hence, Warren are you sure you want Ambro to leave? That is what i am concerned.
__________________
"It is the desire that makes the champion" - Roby baggio
BaggioForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 05:13   #12

Sheva7_Evo

Registered User
 
Sheva7_Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Fave Players: Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Zidane & Kewell
Sheva7_Evo is an unknown quantity at this point
our midfield is waaaay too defensive..
one DM is more then enough, especially when playing against mid/lower table teams. the back 4 are strong enough, plus not to forget...Dida

Henrik's formation is great thought its unlikely we with 1 striker.
A 3 man defense is unlikely but hopefully we'll be used more against 10 man defence teams. how bout:

Sheva Crespo
Kaka
Serginho Pirlo Dhorasoo Cafu
Maldini Stam Nesta
Dida
Sheva7_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 06:44   #13

K77SH C

Registered User
 
K77SH C's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Location: England
Fave Players: Kaka, Gourcuff and Cissokho
K77SH C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Is our midfield look awful because we lack creativity IN ATTACK, or look awful bwecuase we lack ability in DEFENSE?
In my opinion our midfield is a little weak defensively, because we have 3 playmakers in it, but that means we are strong going forward. At least we were before Carlo tried to compensate fot the lack of defensive cover. now we seem to be neither here nor there. I cant understand why Carlo is dismantleing the system he so brilliantly created
__________________

Its SPEEDORF actually
K77SH C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 07:07   #14

PirloDaBest

Registered User
 
PirloDaBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2005
Location: London
Fave Players: Pirlo, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso
PirloDaBest is on a distinguished road
Hi guys

Look I am Andrea Pirlo's biggest fan. To me he is the best player in the world because of the options he offers. The skill and precision he has is like none other. And I agree 100% that their is no one in the world with the same qualities as him. He is a champion because of the fact that he is so unique.
However, I do believe Milan have options without him. Whe Pirlo is not available I would like to see the 3-4-2-1 used like this:

Dida
Stam, Nesta, Maldini
Cafu, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Serginho
Kaka, Rui Costa
Sheva/Crespo

Palermo used this formation a few times and do not have the players that we do. I think this is an options to bare in mind as I believe their is no back-up for Pirlo in the world.
PirloDaBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2005, 10:48   #15

freddydaddy7

Registered User
 
freddydaddy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2005
freddydaddy7 is on a distinguished road
i agree with U PirloDabest that formation is pretty good but only 2 changes i know i would love to make in Mid i would have Gattsuo and Dhorosoo or Ambro with Dhoroso so they can have better control of the ball and up front its fine but i would love to see the next game Rui, Sheva and Crespo that way with rui providin and sheva movin as he likes while Crespo sneaks behind them .

no dout milan misses Pirlo big time and the way he is being used on team and its very hard to find someone else in that postion with his vision u could easly notice how much we struggle through out the game but we should have other options and that is very important not lettin other teams see our weaknes
freddydaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.