AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: The English Premiership
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://audioboom.com/channel/the-totall...richardson

There have been two episodes so far with familiar wit and familiar voices. I prefer the Football Weekly jingle but I'm sure they'll work on it Smile It's basically the same though..starting with English football and branching out to the rest of the continent afterwards. Hopefully there will be a good balance between the two. You should be able to subscribe using any of your typical podcasting apps.
Thanks, will check it out
(08-16-2017, 07:23 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, will check it out

*And another one* - heard something on the World Football Phone-In about Mina Rzouki being on another podcast. Turns out she's actually the host of another podcast called "The Euro Leagues Podcast". This is also a BBC Radio Five Live podcast. It has 3 episodes so far and releases weekly. I am about to listen to the first episode but I assume that it will provide English speaking coverage of leagues outside of England - something which is sorely lacking. Guests so far have been familiar names such as Rafa Honigstein, James Horncastle and Julien Laurens. Lots of podcast moonlighting going on! I think I almost have a football podcast overload now..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0940sk5...des/player
Thanks Mystik, I appreciate it. Totally Football's alright, but I tend to drift in and out while listening as like Football Weekly they focus too much on English football for my liking.

Looking forward to hearing Mina Rzouki's show.
(09-14-2017, 08:40 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Mystik, I appreciate it. Totally Football's alright, but I tend to drift in and out while listening as like Football Weekly they focus too much on English football for my liking.

Looking forward to hearing Mina Rzouki's show.

I really like her show - they seem to discuss more in depth ideas and openings instead of just summarizing the results of the weekend. Have you listened to the one about Carlo? Interested in hearing your thoughts about what the pundits had to say about Carlo's coaching. I think you're a fairly big fan (not as much as of Sacchi I think?) My opinion is somewhere inbetween Rafa's and Mina's where he is definitely the best Milan coach in my time of following the team (started in the early 2000's) but I consider him more of a great man manager and someone who keeps the peace and lets the players do their thing than being a great innovator or tactical genius.
I've caught up with the first few episodes, not all yet.

I heard the Carlo debate and must say I veer towards Mina and James' side of the argument. I rate Carlo as an outstanding coach, his results speak for themselves. Certainly his strength seems to be as a man manager, but I don't by any stretch consider him a weak tactician.

His fundamental principles tactically were founded under Sacchi, though he loosened up a little to all greater individuality when he had Zidane at Juve. His ability to work with different groups of players with different qualities over the years is evidence of his tactical acumen. I think this was particularly evident in his time at Milan, where he had 3 to 4 playmakers on the pitch at any given time. It should have been an unbalanced side, but he made it work wonderfully.

As a man manager he's probably the best in the business IMO. He's got a history of being hugely popular and he understands the importance of keeping players relaxed and ensuring they enjoy their job. However, being relaxed in turn requires mature professionals to work with, because he wants to give freedom to his players and thus places a lot of trust in them.

This is where potential problems can lie. He's not a coach that's going to work well with bringing through young talents, he needs a self motivated group who don't need too much hand holding. You give him a competitive group and he'll get results, but ask him to build a young team and I think he's the wrong guy (hence I don't want him back at Milan right now tbh).

As for his time at Bayern, I think there are a number of factors that are contributing to the current situation. First I simply think Ancelotti's in the wrong place at the wrong time. Despite being very competitive, Bayern are in the process of really beginning a transition. They have a strong group that's ageing and potentially the next generation coming through. As mentioned before, Carlo's not the man for this kind of project.

More than that, there seems to be internal conflicts there that is disrupting the harmony and the direction of the club. For all intents and purposes, Carlo had a good year last year and comfortably won the league, had a decent run in the cup and lost out to Dortmund, the eventual winners, and in CL got knocked out by undoubtedly the best team in the world right now. However, there seems to be too many questions about him at the club, which is toxic for any coach.

Add to that a disaster of a preseason that only further adds doubt and things seem against him. If things were to change I think they could have a decent season, one similar to last year. However, as things stand it seems his time there will come to an end soon and while he's not necessarily helped himself (preseason and hiring his son), it seems that Bayern made a mistake in taking him for this particular project.

As for Carlo, I think it's time he moved towards the latter part of his coaching career. He's been coaching for around 25 years now and every coach has their limit on their time at the highest club level. China might have opportunities for him, but I think he should be looking at the national team. Ventura's working to bring through a new generation in Italy ahead of next year's world cup. After that, it seems natural Ancelotti come in to build that generation in preparation for 2020.
Goodness, did anyone see that Arsenal vs Manchester United game? Absolutely shocking defending from both sides and even worse finishing. Could have ended 8-6
Lol Pep making the EPL look like the Bundesliga with the way they're running away with it
His work there this season is outstanding. They're the best performing team in Europe right now and so far have won every direct head to head that they've played.

However, I think their run in CL will be a massive factor in their success this season.
The never ending saga Big Grin