(03-14-2015, 02:31 PM)Jay Crisp Wrote: Milan linked to Sarri as coach.
There has been contact say GDS.Players Milan are linked to are Valdifiori ,Bertolacci ,Verdi , Baselli , Marco Rui ,Soriano.All pretty average , solid but wont up the quality level at all.Maybe a 7th or 8th placing instead of 11th.Nothing to get excited about.Mid-table seems here to stay.
Add Okaka to that list...
http://www.milannews.it/calciomercato-mi...rri-170923
I'm not too impressed by the list of names. I know for the most part they're young and the club are trying to focus on Italians, but really as you say they are either pretty average or frankly have a long way to go to prove they are of the quality they were thought to be when younger.
On Sarri, I think that debate is more appropriate here
http://www.milanmania.com/forum/showthre...56&page=56
Just a little off topic and honestly probably the most nerdy thing I've ever asked regarding football, but does anyone here ever consider football as a mathematical problem to try and quantify a tactical game?
What I mean is that we all talk about football with basic mathematic principles, whether it be talking about the geometry of a team's shape or using basic statistical analysis when looking at whoscored.com to see how team's have performed.
When you delve deeper into a team's philosophy or a manager's ideas, you'll often find there's more complex maths involved. For example, the Dutch Total Football model was often thought of as a anarchic and creative model in football, which it was to an extent, but having done research into it, there's also a clear focus on the geometric shape of the team and and the adjacent angles at which players are placed alongside each other, using ideas from Pythagoras' Theorem.
Another example is Sam Allardyce (I think) has used extensive statistical research to conclude that strikers often score goals on set pieces when placed at the far post, so therefore puts this into practice in his sides. Since reading that I have often kept an eye on player movements on the pitch and the theory does seem to hold some truth. It's interesting when you consider it on a larger scale, for example when El Shaarawy had his stellar half season a couple of years ago, one notable point was that he scored quite a few tap ins at the far post when the move originated from the right.
Working in IT and often looking at how software development has foundations in mathematical principles, I have been wondering if something as complex and dynamic as football can draw parallels and can be thought about in a similar way, as a mathematical problem. While there's obviously a huge number of variables and factors that have to be considered, not least because we're talking about human beings on the pitch, not machines, it seems a feasible possibility that formulae can be worked out to derive highest probabilities of success. A case and point is when you look at the similarities in successful football philosophies, such as Lobanovsky's principles, Total Football, Sacchi's ideas in pressing and most recently Tiki Taka, there are common denominators in all of those concepts which should be something that can be derived using mathematical principles.
As I said, it's a really dull and nerdy idea, just wondered if anyone thought of the game in that way or whether there are examples of extensive and overt uses of mathematical principles in the success of sides in history.