AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: FC Barcelona - AC Milan (Champions League Return game 12/03 20h45)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Small margins proved to be the difference between us going through and going out, as even though the final score was extremely disappointing, the difference between us winning 2-0 in the first leg and losing 4-0 last night is all in the details.

Firstly, I have to tip my hat to Barca. They were simply fantastic in the first 20-30 minutes, playing a really quick passing game and pressing us like there was no tomorrow. It's easy to say that they're only really that good because of guys like Messi and Iniesta, but as a pressing unit they have always impressed. These guys give them an edge that other teams don't have, but they're very well drilled.

The first half was all Barca. Scoring a sublime goal in 5 minutes with such incisive play, there was no doubt they were mentally preparing for this match for a while (which would also explain the recent failings they've had). Truth is, we weren't even in the game for the first 20 minutes or so. When we had the ball, we lost it within 2 touches, and defensively we were getting carved open time and again (I'll go into why later). After that period passed, we finally found a little stability and while we weren't looking like we'd be trounced anymore, the details ended up making the difference, as first Niang went inches away from putting the tie to bed (no doubt in my mind that had we scored then, we'd been more confident in managing the match). Unfortunately he missed and Messi scored his second from offside (again, details make the difference).

The second half rolled around and the match continued where it left off. We were still relatively solid, but Barca were putting us under consistent pressure, eventually resulting in Villa's goal. It was at this point we weren't so afraid to attack them and while we attacked without a great deal of consistent pressure, we did create openings that we weren't able to take advantage of. Unfortunately, as is often the case in these situations, we attack but left ourselves open, which Alba took full advantage of by driving up the pitch to take up the space Abate left behind him.

There are a few things about this match which really stood out to me. The first is our psychology in approaching an away leg with a lead. We've struggled to deal with this since probably 2004 at the Riazor. Ever since then, we've always looked rather vulnerable when defending leads in the second leg of a tie, whether you look at PSV a couple of years later, Arsenal last year or this tie this year. I think the club would benefit investigating a little more in sports psychology, trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but also to help in these sorts of high pressure matches.

Another factor to consider is educating our players to consistently press as well as we did in the first leg. What I mean here is that right now the players have to think and work extremely hard about how they press opponents and keeping tactical discipline. This needs to be drilled into players so it becomes natural to them, which is something we've seen Barca do over the past half decade and it's important for two reasons. The first is teamwork is vital in winning in the modern game, as days of when having individually great talents is no longer enough. The other is we won't necessarily build a team of world beating individuals, so the focus should be developing a strong team game, where if we get super individual talents, it's a bonus rather than the rule (i.e. no more pandering to talents like Ibra, who will negatively inlfuence a team balance).

The last thing that really stood out to me last night was that we must learn to manage games better. This isn't the first, and surely not the last, time we've failed to manage the game correctly. Our pressing, mental approach and discipline were wrong last night. Rather than looking to keep control of the game, we fought in desperation
to stop Barca and counter. A perfect example is the action that lead to the second goal. Ambro gets the ball in midfield and immediately tries to burst out for a counter. What results is poor control of the ball as he's getting ahead of himself and Barca score on the turnover of possession. In the first game, we never saw Ambro feeling the need to burst out like that, and when he did it was in relative position to Montolivo and Muntari who cut in to protect in front of defence, whilst in this instance Flamini and Montolivo didn't get the chance. We need to think about managing our game better when in a situation where opponents will desperately look to score. Poor management of the game lead to tension and mistakes on the ball, something all of the players were guilty of at some point.

Tactically, I don't think Allegri was wrong last night. He had a similar set up to the first match and it resulted in errors defensively and up front. Firstly, we missed Pazzini, as while he doesn't have Niang's ability, he is a constant nuisance for defenders. Niang didn't know how and when to press like Pazzini and was often looking lost or isolated up front.

The Midfield was where we really suffered, as we didn't control our pressing, giving Barca too much time to work out their moves, which didn't happen in the first leg. This was as Boateng, El Shaarawy and the 3 midfielders didn't really look to press Barca that much, while in the first leg we would press them as soon as they got near the halfway line. Defensively we suffered as a result as the defenders were often left unprotected.

This was also due to another change that Roura made. Putting Villa in place of Fabregas and instructing him to play across our backline caused confusion and gave Barca a reference up front. It resulted in us defending deeper and left gaps between the defensive and midfield lines which Messi took full advantage of. I mentioned earlier we got carved open time and again early on, and this was why. Almost, if not all of Barca's chances came from the space between the midfield and defensive lines. We reacted by having the defensive line push up more, but the instability had already set in by then.

Ultimately, this result is a massive disappointment, but the details were what made the difference. Had the defensive line not let itself drop a couple of feet deep to leave space in front, Messi wouldn't have had the space he did to create havoc. Had Niang's shot been 5 cm to the right, it would have gone in and Barca would have been in deep trouble. Had Ambro not had a rush of blood with the need to drive forward to start a counter, Iniesta wouldn't have been able to disposess him and attack the gap left behind. Had the linesman called the offside for the second goal, the match may have changed shape. Thing is, we played with many inexperienced players in this match and suffered as a consequence. It will be an important exercise for us to learn from and help these young guys grow.

Players...

Abbiati - A couple of decent stops, but was overwhelmed all match.
Abate - Maybe our best player, but had it tough against Alba
Zapata - The better of the two CBs. He wasn't great, but made some important tackles and interceptions.
Mexes - Never looked fully fit, a little slow and clumsy at times
Constant - Poor match as he was generally looking uncertain and nervous. I don't blame him completely though, as he was often faced up against Dani Alves and Messi both.
Flamini - He earned the start with his recent performances, but became anonymous in this match.
Ambro - Probably our worst player, as he was simply overwhelmed and tactically no where near as disciplined as the first leg. He was poor on the ball as well.
Montolivo - The only midfielder looking close to what we needed in this match, but he still struggled to cope alone.
Boateng - Didn't have the same impact as the last game, but was also forced to shuffle around to try and accomodate our system. Some great throughballs in the match.
Niang - His inexperience really showed. Still a class player, but will need to grow.
El Shaarawy - He struggled, but it seemed it was more as a result of frustration from lack of service early on then actually playing poorly. He had very little to actually work with, although he could have done better on the chance he did get in the first half.
Robinho - Not a good game, but probably his best game of 2013 so far. He added a little more experience in the side.
Bojan - Added some energy and drive late on, which could have resulted in a Robinho goal
Muntari - An improvement to Flamini, adding more stability on the ball than the Frenchman.
(03-13-2013, 11:13 AM)ZvonimirBoban Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 10:07 AM)tello Wrote: [ -> ]..Dodgy..so AC Milan just came to Camp Nou 4-Nothing...?...Angry

Where the hell are you after 1st leg, fucking midget asshole?

Ola,

I was just depressed it was a big hole after 1st leg. we lost 2 goals to nothing.
but I'm here before the 1st leg kick-off, and then I go to New York for 3 weeks to work and i miss classico because I'm on the plane.
but I'm settle now.

we make history. I think Milan celebrated too much too early, I accept their team is very inexperienced and they were scared all the time to play 2nd leg. this is understandable against a top world class team. but FCB had a tough fight to victory against Milan.
I hope next season they draw with easier team...Okmilan
The only regret I have is them scoring so early. Also, at the San Siro, we held our defensive line 30 meters from our goal.....while yesterday (especially in the first 25-30 mins) our defensive line was on top of our box. We defended too deep. Also, panic set in after that first goal and we kept losing the ball inside our own 30 meters. I would have rather us just cleared it all the way to Vlades then misplace 10m passes because of panic and not be able to move our defensive line a bit further up the field.

In any case....that's what you get when you have midfielders that can't play the ball under pressure. They work fine in 90% of the games when teams aren't pressuring the heck out of us, but when even under a little bit of pressure our midfield can't take care of the ball. (neither can our defenders)

Anyway, I was disapointed yesterday and barely talked to anyone the entire day after the game. It is what it is though, and today is a new day. We got an important game coming up on Sunday and we have to win. We HAVE TO get into the CL next year and that has to be our number 1 objective right now. Save any talk for 1st place until it's actually possible. Until then, we have to try and stretch the difference over the 4th placed team and maybe even catch Napoli along the way!!

Forza Milan!!!!
(03-13-2013, 02:29 PM)tello Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 11:13 AM)ZvonimirBoban Wrote: [ -> ]Where the hell are you after 1st leg, fucking midget asshole?

Ola,

I was just depressed it was a big hole after 1st leg. we lost 2 goals to nothing.
but I'm here before the 1st leg kick-off, and then I go to New York for 3 weeks to work and i miss classico because I'm on the plane.
but I'm settle now.

we make history. I think Milan celebrated too much too early, I accept their team is very inexperienced and they were scared all the time to play 2nd leg. this is understandable against a top world class team. but FCB had a tough fight to victory against Milan.
I hope next season they draw with easier team...Okmilan

Congrats to Barca. You deserved it.
(03-13-2013, 10:07 AM)tello Wrote: [ -> ]..Dodgy..so AC Milan just came to Camp Nou 4-Nothing...?...Angry

a big fat FUCK OFF for you, a filthy piece of scum.
(03-13-2013, 02:23 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few things about this match which really stood out to me. The first is our psychology in approaching an away leg with a lead. We've struggled to deal with this since probably 2004 at the Riazor. Ever since then, we've always looked rather vulnerable when defending leads in the second leg of a tie, whether you look at PSV a couple of years later, Arsenal last year or this tie this year. I think the club would benefit investigating a little more in sports psychology, trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but also to help in these sorts of high pressure matches.

Excellent as usual!

This point is interesting, and I recently wrote about it: http://www.notevenanoriundo.com/2013/03/...th-on.html

I personally find it difficult to connect past debacles with the one yesterday because what does this Milan really have in common with the one in 2004 or 2005, except Ambrosini? Are SES's and Sheva's destinies linked?

The only connection is Milan--that is what connects this team to the one of 8 or 9 years ago. As a club, we have a winning mentality, so it's not as if we're inheriting a damning narrative, according to which we have to play.

I personally think that we are still an incomplete team in need of experienced heads, which will take time. I think Conte's Juve or Mourinho's Inter would see out a result at the Camp Nou somehow. We are simply not there yet. Genoa game, Barca's slick passing, and our inability to take our 2 chances decided the game. As professionals, I think we were up for it mentally, but not technically. We came up against a far superior opponent. Just like Italy did this past summer.

I think this game emphasizes our need for another ball playing midfielder who can handle himself in both offense and defense. Nobody was able to hold the ball for more than 5 seconds when under pressure and I don't think Pazzini or Balotelli would have made a difference when our midfielders are so bad.
(03-13-2013, 04:14 PM)Hasan Rossonero Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-13-2013, 02:23 PM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few things about this match which really stood out to me. The first is our psychology in approaching an away leg with a lead. We've struggled to deal with this since probably 2004 at the Riazor. Ever since then, we've always looked rather vulnerable when defending leads in the second leg of a tie, whether you look at PSV a couple of years later, Arsenal last year or this tie this year. I think the club would benefit investigating a little more in sports psychology, trying to get to the bottom of this problem, but also to help in these sorts of high pressure matches.

Excellent as usual!

This point is interesting, and I recently wrote about it: http://www.notevenanoriundo.com/2013/03/...th-on.html

I personally find it difficult to connect past debacles with the one yesterday because what does this Milan really have in common with the one in 2004 or 2005, except Ambrosini? Are SES's and Sheva's destinies linked?

The only connection is Milan--that is what connects this team to the one of 8 or 9 years ago. As a club, we have a winning mentality, so it's not as if we're inheriting a damning narrative, according to which we have to play.

I personally think that we are still an incomplete team in need of experienced heads, which will take time. I think Conte's Juve or Mourinho's Inter would see out a result at the Camp Nou somehow. We are simply not there yet. Genoa game, Barca's slick passing, and our inability to take our 2 chances decided the game. As professionals, I think we were up for it mentally, but not technically. We came up against a far superior opponent. Just like Italy did this past summer.

Same thought here. I don't know if Allegri is a superior coach (probably not), but he did do whatever he can. We (the players) simply could not keep up, technically. We didn't have the control of the game tempo, and were at the mercy of Barcelona. I thought that we would go through, but I knew it would be a lucky result. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

If we won the tie, it would not have made us a better team; now that we lost, it still didn't make us a worse team. We are re-building, so it is a necessary pain to go through. I am just hoping that we will not be selling our key players in the near future, otherwise, we won't see any hope of coming back to the top of Europe.
Few things I can try to put together in my head:

First, it was a big mistake to keep 12 senatores for too long. And it was an even BIGGER mistake to let them go all at once. I'm not mad at Ambrosini, while he played horrible, he played good in 1st leg and also last year in both legs if I remember correctly. He's not a great player but can pull out good defensive performances if he plays once or twice per month.
As others have said, we should have kept Nesta, and if we managed to keep Thiago Silva as well it would have been a big difference. Think about those two great defenders, and then think Zapata and Mexes Facepalm

Secondly, Niang has issues finishing, as does El Shaaraway. I don't care HOW many goals Stephan has, he's not a good finisher. Niang should have went directly dead on and then put it to right or left... instead he drifted wide..which screwed up his angle.

Thirdly, Barcelona looked amazing, but I cannot understand why. They're midgets, they have no muscle tone, yet they're faster than all of our players? They press and defend on top of us before we can make 2 passes? Really? Are they that good or are we that poor? It seems impossible to see such a huge difference. They never get tired..how is this possible.

I didn't like how we sat back and let them dictate, and how we layed off Messi, letting him dribble to his left and get shots of on his left foot so many times. Any idiot knows to double team him and force him to his right..press him, hit him hard.

I'm greatly disappointed, and we can all thank.. Presidente for balancing the books. Grazie Presidente!Okmilan
(03-13-2013, 07:16 PM)ElMago99 Wrote: [ -> ]Thirdly, Barcelona looked amazing, but I cannot understand why. They're midgets, they have no muscle tone, yet they're faster than all of our players? They press and defend on top of us before we can make 2 passes? Really? Are they that good or are we that poor? It seems impossible to see such a huge difference. They never get tired..how is this possible.

I didn't like how we sat back and let them dictate, and how we layed off Messi, letting him dribble to his left and get shots of on his left foot so many times. Any idiot knows to double team him and force him to his right..press him, hit him hard.

They are actually that good my friend!! They've done it to almost every team, when this barcelona is on their day no team can beat them, exceptional team!! And they have worlds best player, who is out of this world at times, he's the guy that scored 96 goals last year, yes, 96!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28