AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Winter Mercato January 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TBH I think we need to drop the idea of playing with a trequartista unless we employ wide attacking players as well.
In todays game, we have the most successful sides playing with 4-3-3 variants or 4-5-1s or whatnot, but all of them play with attacking wing players or wide. The modern game if thats what you'd like to call it, is very fast pace and while the 4-3-1-2 formations are very technical, I'm a strong advocate that there should be more focus on wide/wing play. And in todays game, there are sadly far more quality wingers than there are trequartistas.

Look at Madrid with Bale/Ronaldo, Barcelona Neymar/Messi, Bayern Robben/Ribery (however they do use trequartistas in many of their matches Gotze/Muller etc.), Chelsea Hazard/Willian.. so on so fourth.
My point is, Berlusconi needs to lose his old school mentality and get rid of this 4-3-1-2 idea. It doesn't work anymore, in todays fast paced game I believe its too static in most cases. And the sides that do use trequartistas in tandem with having wide attacking players usually sacrifice their defensive ability, or there two midfielders behind the trequartista tend to do a lot more tidying up than attacking/creating. Good examples are Chelsea and Bayern. Chelsea usually have Hazard/Willian wide with Oscar down the middle, but Matic and Ramires are both work horses and defensively sound, not to mention a solid backline. Bayern usually has Lahm, Xabi Alonso or Thiago behind Muller or Gotze if they play with a trequartista. Albeit, Bayern is a very versatile side so the formation is more complex than it seems on paper.

My bottom line is: if management want to finally start building a proper squad with the right players, they need to stick to a desirable formation and BUY the right players for it. For example, we shouldn't be on the market for three strikers (Adriano,Balotelli,Bacca) if we decide on a 4-3-3, and furthermore we should have kept ELS and let go of someone else instead, since he would have been a good option at LW. This is why we've messed up another mercato, Berlusconi or Miha (whoever) insisted on a very centrally focused formation in the form of the 4-3-1-2 which as I've said, isnt the best option in todays game. Perhaps what puzzles me even more is that they didnt buy a proper trequartista knowing they'd be playing that formation. I say we stick with a 4-3-3 once and for all, and build our side accordingly. If not, we'll never get anywhere IMO.

I think Menez can do well if he learns how to be more of a team player(slightly) on the left wing, while Bacca is definitely good enough for striker. I think our next two big investments should be in midfield(Moutinho/Gundogan/Witsel) and our right wing. The same way inter got Miranda for like 15mln euros, we should seek out someone like that to pair up with Romagnoli. Not someone completely washed up like Alex, but someone who's solid enough with experience that won't cost an arm and a leg. Just to throw a name out, Ivanovic for example.. I'm sure Miha would like him.
(10-26-2015, 05:18 AM)WCmilan Wrote: [ -> ]TBH I think we need to drop the idea of playing with a trequartista unless we employ wide attacking players as well.
In todays game, we have the most successful sides playing with 4-3-3 variants or 4-5-1s or whatnot, but all of them play with attacking wing players or wide. The modern game if thats what you'd like to call it, is very fast pace and while the 4-3-1-2 formations are very technical, I'm a strong advocate that there should be more focus on wide/wing play. And in todays game, there are sadly far more quality wingers than there are trequartistas.

Look at Madrid with Bale/Ronaldo, Barcelona Neymar/Messi, Bayern Robben/Ribery (however they do use trequartistas in many of their matches Gotze/Muller etc.), Chelsea Hazard/Willian.. so on so fourth.
My point is, Berlusconi needs to lose his old school mentality and get rid of this 4-3-1-2 idea. It doesn't work anymore, in todays fast paced game I believe its too static in most cases. And the sides that do use trequartistas in tandem with having wide attacking players usually sacrifice their defensive ability, or there two midfielders behind the trequartista tend to do a lot more tidying up than attacking/creating. Good examples are Chelsea and Bayern. Chelsea usually have Hazard/Willian wide with Oscar down the middle, but Matic and Ramires are both work horses and defensively sound, not to mention a solid backline. Bayern usually has Lahm, Xabi Alonso or Thiago behind Muller or Gotze if they play with a trequartista. Albeit, Bayern is a very versatile side so the formation is more complex than it seems on paper.

My bottom line is: if management want to finally start building a proper squad with the right players, they need to stick to a desirable formation and BUY the right players for it. For example, we shouldn't be on the market for three strikers (Adriano,Balotelli,Bacca) if we decide on a 4-3-3, and furthermore we should have kept ELS and let go of someone else instead, since he would have been a good option at LW. This is why we've messed up another mercato, Berlusconi or Miha (whoever) insisted on a very centrally focused formation in the form of the 4-3-1-2 which as I've said, isnt the best option in todays game. Perhaps what puzzles me even more is that they didnt buy a proper trequartista knowing they'd be playing that formation. I say we stick with a 4-3-3 once and for all, and build our side accordingly. If not, we'll never get anywhere IMO.

I think Menez can do well if he learns how to be more of a team player(slightly) on the left wing, while Bacca is definitely good enough for striker. I think our next two big investments should be in midfield(Moutinho/Gundogan/Witsel) and our right wing. The same way inter got Miranda for like 15mln euros, we should seek out someone like that to pair up with Romagnoli. Not someone completely washed up like Alex, but someone who's solid enough with experience that won't cost an arm and a leg. Just to throw a name out, Ivanovic for example.. I'm sure Miha would like him.

The 4-3-3 usually requires a trequartista to play behind the lone striker, so I don't think we should abandon the search for one. Keeping Honda at the attacking midfield position for the remainder of the season won't end well. Moutinho is an attacking midfielder and he is a good option for the winter.

I think all Milan fans would agree that an experienced center back to partner Romagnoli is ideal, but to Galliani, that defender would come in the form of Rannochia so I wouldn't expect too much there.

I read reports off Football Italia saying that Galliani will try again for Witsel in the winter, so I hope he'll come and add some reinforcement to our midfield. I think that Montolivo is a guaranteed starter now which may result in a drop in performance if he's not careful, so the competition from Witsel would be nice.

Finally, our right wing can be filled in by the likes of Niang or Cerci, so I don't think that this is a priority. However, if Galliani/ Berlusconi would like to invest the money in a winger then someone from the Premier League such as Bolasie or Lamela would fill in that role well.

To sum up, this winter would see us getting Rannochia, Witsel, a winger (if we're lucky), and a quality trequartista (if Berlusconi and Galliani are smart).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From summer to winter mercato, we will be trying to sign Witsel.. Trequearista or not, someone with technical quality/skill for midfield is URGENTLY and DESPERATELY needed.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
I can see the winter Mercato now.
Linked to Soriano & Witsel chasing both all month , links rumours "supposed" meetings.We'll be linked to CB's also prob see some more Maksimovic rumours lots of discussion on price.

Then we'll end up signing Boateng Urby & loaning Ranocchia
Lol ^ it's sad that what Jay said is likely to happen
(10-26-2015, 10:59 AM)Jay Crisp Wrote: [ -> ]I can see the winter Mercato now.
Linked to Soriano & Witsel chasing both all month , links rumours "supposed" meetings.We'll be linked to CB's also prob see some more Maksimovic rumours lots of discussion on price.

Then we'll end up signing Boateng Urby & loaning Ranocchia

That's almost exactly the same as how I see our winter mercato too. Not sure about the Urby part (I know that people are joking about it, but is there really any reliable source linking us to him? If not, we should probably stop posting it because who knows Galliani may be visiting here and that may put ideas into his stupid head Angry).
I forgot about Niang to be honest. I would let him have a fair run on RW before we decide if we need anyone.
I'm not against a formation that employs a trequartista, but in the absence of wingers I am.
I really hope the KPB news is rubbish, really not the direction the club needs to go. Hes not a great player on and off the field. Our wage bill is out of control and dont need any more divas.

If were going for former players, Why not bring Pato back for ffs..
Pato's actually been scoring consistently since he was made a winger. His golazo this weekend was stunning and with his left foot.