AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Winter Mercato 2019-2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@ Nef, we can’t just buy big name players anymore. I would love to invest 90mil from selling guys and give the player the 10mil salary. But, top players can get that deal anywhere so why would they come to the dumpster fire of milan? Think when ManCity started their cycle but was rejected by Kaka. The only realistic approach is getting a top tier coach (similar problems as buying a top tier player though) and give him the opportunity to run the market to build his team or keep investing in these players with potential, hoping they become great, then adding pieces alongside them.

Pacqueta is a player that I think compliments a good team but isn’t great in a bad team. Last year he could play more freely as the team as a whole could make up for his mistakes. This year there is no cover. Shows what we miss in Bakayoko and Gattuso. With that said, I still hope we keep him.
(12-30-2019, 05:05 PM)honsano Wrote: [ -> ] keep investing in these players with potential, hoping they become great, then adding pieces alongside them.

This is what we should avoid at this point (the bolded part). We've done this. It didn't work. It doesn't work. Not for most players. We keep doing the same thing. Spending millions upon millions and HOPING things work out. 

I think we are now at the point where the talented young/er playrs we've gathered need world class players alongside them, so that they can maybe become world class themselves (the unbolded part). I am talking about Romagnoli, Theo Bennacer, Leao, Paqueta. If we keep adding the same, who's going to lead who? 

Now, i know your main concern is how do we get top class players when we are such a mess of a club? 
But money talks. There are plenty of clubs out there that can afford a 80mil transfer fee and 12mil wages....but they don't all need to or want to do that. IF this is our strategy.....to go after 1 top player instead of 5 average ones...then we put all our resources towards that and that gives us a chance. Not going to be easy, but it's doable. If not, then just don't spend. It's wasted money. 

I also think, as badly damaged as our reputation is currently, Milan still has a pull. And we are 1 CL qualification away from changing our fortunes bug time and repairing that reputation. We need top players to achieve that. Otherwise this cycle will just keep repeating.
(12-30-2019, 05:59 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]This is what we should avoid at this point (the bolded part). We've done this. It didn't work. It doesn't work. Not for most players. We keep doing the same thing. Spending millions upon millions and HOPING things work out. 

I think we are now at the point where the talented young/er playrs we've gathered need world class players alongside them, so that they can maybe become world class themselves (the unbolded part). I am talking about Romagnoli, Theo Bennacer, Leao, Paqueta. If we keep adding the same, who's going to lead who? 

Now, i know your main concern is how do we get top class players when we are such a mess of a club? 
But money talks. There are plenty of clubs out there that can afford a 80mil transfer fee and 12mil wages....but they don't all need to or want to do that. IF this is our strategy.....to go after 1 top player instead of 5 average ones...then we put all our resources towards that and that gives us a chance. Not going to be easy, but it's doable. If not, then just don't spend. It's wasted money. 

I also think, as badly damaged as our reputation is currently, Milan still has a pull. And we are 1 CL qualification away from changing our fortunes bug time and repairing that reputation. We need top players to achieve that. Otherwise this cycle will just keep repeating.

I agree the talent is there but the quality isn't there yet, but which 90m player would come to Milan right now I don't think a lot would. It's best to invest in a settled player 25-27 years old who has a guaranteed quality. He should be a player ready for the next step at a club that's about our level. Spend 50m on him no problem but 90m for a single world class player is unrealistic for this Milan in my opininion.
Officially, second Milan deal was made.

Milan will include French Todibo on loan with the mandatory purchase of 20 m

gazzetta
Not sure why it's unrealistic. If you have the money, it's always realistic. Not easy, but doable. Will we be rejected along the way? Maybe players choosing other clubs instead? Sure. But it's not unrealistic. As I said, if we sell all that deadweight, that's about 90mil. Not saying get a player for that amount. But it's available and that's what's important. Maybe the player we get will be 60 and not 90. Either way, we need top quality. If we can't get that, just don't buy anyone. The season is over.

Nobody thought Bonucci would come, but he did. We paid him more then he was making at Juve. Now, there were personal/family issues there...but that's just the thing. Players take many things in consideration and it's not just the the status of the club at the time. Look at Haaland for example (not world class, but my point with him is different, as he chose Dortmund over Juventus and Utd). As long as the money is there, there is always a possibility.

Aubameyang was another. Had we had 70mil at the time (we did but spent 40 of it on Bonucci), he would have been a Milan player.

Point is...get top quality and spend all we have on that. Don't split it on 5 players. We did that. It's worked on some players and not on others. Still we are in a situation where we can keep the ones for which that strategy worked and have shown quality, get rid of the others and this time, insert top quality. It'll take time. But it can happen.

As for suggesting names....I don't know. But for example 80mil for Isco may be an overpayment...but it's better then 25 for Bertolacci, 35 for Kessie and 20 for Biglia AND STILL being at mile zero. These are the type of transfers i'm talking about. Will others be interested in Isco? Absolutely. But who's willing to pay 80mil in January? I doubt many, if any.
Btw, yes, we will have to overpay to beat the competition and give ourselves a better chance.

I do partially agree with you. I think it's unrealistic to want Mane, Frankie De Jong (now), Stering, Lewandowski, Thiago Alcantara, Verratti, etc. Those are the 1st tier players. But I don't think it's so unrealistic to look at ones like Isco, who have top quality but are not looked at as indispensible at their clubs and want to be sure starters elsewhere. Another example would be Dembele. Or Vidal. Or Rakitic. Or hell, even Coutinho over the summer (if a club had 100mil in cash, they would have gotten him. Instead Bayern got a loan deal because nobody was willing to front the cash, including Bayern). These are not easy moves. But if you have 90mil available and ready to put on the table, they are possible. The bigger obstacle would be the wages. But, by getting rid of deadweight, it opens up room.
Wouldnt expect more this summer than the likes of Zlatan, Todibo and another CM.
(12-30-2019, 07:14 PM)mazen111 Wrote: [ -> ]Officially, second Milan deal was made.

Milan will include French Todibo on loan with the mandatory purchase of 20 m

gazzetta

Are you sure
(12-30-2019, 08:05 PM)Sleeping Giant Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure

yes. he should be in milan tomorrow as the news says
(12-30-2019, 08:47 PM)mazen111 Wrote: [ -> ]yes. he should be in milan tomorrow as the news says

If it was official it would be on acmilan.com and other serious sites. So don't use the word official until it really is.
One thing is official: Unless he is reeeaaaally good spending 20 on a player that was bought for 2 one year ago is what's wrong with Milan.