AC Milan Forums - Unofficial

Full Version: Summer transfer window 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sold on Chiesa to be honest. I think he is a little overrated in Italy, but I agree that he has talent.
The problem with buying both Verdi and Chiesa is that they'll likely cost in the region of 65mil. I am sure Fiorentina will demand at least as much as they did for Bernardeschi, which was 40mil. We already know that Verdi will cost 25mil as that's what Napoli agreed to pay.

My argument is not that these guys are not worth that per say....I just think Verdi is not someone who can come and be a definite starter while Chiesa will need some time to fulfil that potential. So in our situation, we are better off spending that 65mil on 1 world class winger that will perform immediately and fulfil our needs.

Verdi can still be brought to provide an option for either wing and also because it still leaves us some room to possibly go after a world class winger. Chiesa though.....too expensive for my liking and buying both him and Verdi will probably drain the budget too much. I don't think they add that much value to the team.

Edit: Dev, I just realized that you said Verdi OR Chiesa and not BOTH. Either way, i'd still only pursue Verdi and leave Chiesa for someone else. I think there are better players out there for that price.
We need a few big names who are going to give us immediate results this summer. I know that's going to be hard to get due to circumstances but it's the truth
We also need better depth. We've been playing w the same squad/line up for months now. Every 4 games there's 2 games that are well suffered and you can tell our team is just completely overworked in those matches. It won't cost us too much, we should take advantage of all the free agents coming this summer. Badelj is one who comes to mind immediately to replace Montolivo. It's not a super exciting move, but it's upgrading our depth which is never something that should be put to the side.

A strong 11 is always the priority though, and when it comes to that I agree with Troy. We need game changers/world class players. It's not easy to get them, and if we don't make CL again you can bet it'll be even more difficult. If we did make CL though, I think things would change. I doubt we'd attract the best players in the world, but quality players will be a lot more inclined to come.
I agree WCMilan, it's imperative we create depth.

(03-30-2018, 01:19 PM)nefremo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sold on Chiesa to be honest. I think he is a little overrated in Italy, but I agree that he has talent. 
The problem with buying both Verdi and Chiesa is that they'll likely cost in the region of 65mil. I am sure Fiorentina will demand at least as much as they did for Bernardeschi, which was 40mil. We already know that Verdi will cost 25mil as that's what Napoli agreed to pay. 

My argument is not that these guys are not worth that per say....I just think Verdi is not someone who can come and be a definite starter while Chiesa will need some time to fulfil that potential. So in our situation, we are better off spending that 65mil on 1 world class winger that will perform immediately and fulfil our needs. 

Verdi can still be brought to provide an option for either wing and also because it still leaves us some room to possibly go after a world class winger. Chiesa though.....too expensive for my liking and buying both him and Verdi will probably drain the budget too much. I don't think they add that much value to the team.

Edit: Dev, I just realized that you said Verdi OR Chiesa and not BOTH. Either way, i'd still only pursue Verdi and leave Chiesa for someone else. I think there are better players out there for that price.

Yeah, wouldn't want both Verdi and Chiesa, and in both cases it's more about adding quality in depth than necessarily a star name. I remember you mentioned before you're not convinced about Chiesa. I can understand why, he's got a lot to prove, but I also think if developed in the right environment he can grow to be a really valuable player (maybe not world class, but of the highest level). I think Italy's frustrating in that sense though, as for years they've done a horrendous job in letting smaller creative talents grow in peace, focusing far more on players who offer tactical balance and athleticism (usually also favouring strength rather than pace or stamina). Verdi I think could have been more successful in his career thus far had the Italian development system been better, the guy is immensely talented.
Bonucci: "How to raise the bar? We created a great base, we created a mix. If I have to give an advice to the management, we must sign players who are used to playing in Europe with wide international experience that also raise the level of training."
(03-31-2018, 11:21 PM)AC_Troy Wrote: [ -> ]Bonucci: "How to raise the bar? We created a great base, we created a mix. If I have to give an advice to the management, we must sign players who are used to playing in Europe with wide international experience that also raise the level of training."

We'll probably have a limited transfer budget and no CL to offer so it will be hard to get someone with the necessary quality. Maybe there are more players like Bonucci himself, someone who is willing to take a step back in their career to be part of this project. We can always hope.
(04-01-2018, 11:04 AM)Arildonardo Wrote: [ -> ]We'll probably have a limited transfer budget and no CL to offer so it will be hard to get someone with the necessary quality. Maybe there are more players like Bonucci himself, someone who is willing to take a step back in their career to be part of this project. We can always hope.

I think it'll be tough, but not impossible. I read an interview on Milannews that the approach would be to make 1 or 2 big sales and then spread the cost for incoming transfers. For example, sell Suso and Donnarumma for a combined fee of about 100m, then make purchases based on instalments,  so on our balances rather than showing income of 100m with equal expenditure on new players, it shows a balance of 100m, with just the first instalments of each transfer as expenditure (i.e. amortisation). This is something that's common in football and has been the case at Milan for years too. In the short term this works, but will be dependent on results in the long term to balance our financial sheets.

I think yesterday highlighted some important areas that need work, predominantly the midfield. More and more I can see why Wilshere is a desired player if rumours are true. His bite along with technical quality would be hugely beneficial in this side, especially with the way Jack's playing this past month or so. However, I think we need to go all out and make another big splash in the middle of the field if we can. A name that's been linked before and I think would be a great asset (despite being over 30) is Vidal, who looks like he might be ready to leave Bayern after this season.

In both cases I think it's fair to say they'll be tough to get, but I don't think it's impossible. Gattuso's work isn't going unnoticed and I think both Wilshere and Vidal are personalities that would be attracted to Gattuso's character. Plus, in the case of Wilshere there's seemingly already been groundwork laid to try and get him and with Vidal, I believe he's good friends with Bonucci (who said yesterday he thinks we need a couple of top level players).

Beyond that, we need a forward replacement for Kalinic for obvious reasons. Again, I'd like someone coming with a level of guarantees. I think we might find it tough to get someone world class, but at least someone who's quality and brings top level experience.

In the wing positions, as I mentioned the other day I think getting 1 to 2 options is necessary. I'd like to get someone like Verdi for the reasons I've mentioned before. Bear in mind that while the name might not be the most attractive, the last 2 years he's posted numbers very similar to Suso in Italy and would give us much better depth. If Suso is to leave, then as mentioned before I think getting one top young winger would be ideal. 

Finally, it would be all about depth, for example maybe a CB if Musacchio leaves. Previously I suggested just replacing him (or Zapata), but I think the matches vs Arsenal and Juve have highlighted some areas that are more pressing.
(04-01-2018, 11:31 AM)ACMILAN1983 Wrote: [ -> ]I think it'll be tough, but not impossible. I read an interview on Milannews that the approach would be to make 1 or 2 big sales and then spread the cost for incoming transfers. For example, sell Suso and Donnarumma for a combined fee of about 100m, then make purchases based on instalments,  so on our balances rather than showing income of 100m with equal expenditure on new players, it shows a balance of 100m, with just the first instalments of each transfer as expenditure (i.e. amortisation). This is something that's common in football and has been the case at Milan for years too. In the short term this works, but will be dependent on results in the long term to balance our financial sheets.

I think yesterday highlighted some important areas that need work, predominantly the midfield. More and more I can see why Wilshere is a desired player if rumours are true. His bite along with technical quality would be hugely beneficial in this side, especially with the way Jack's playing this past month or so. However, I think we need to go all out and make another big splash in the middle of the field if we can. A name that's been linked before and I think would be a great asset (despite being over 30) is Vidal, who looks like he might be ready to leave Bayern after this season.

In both cases I think it's fair to say they'll be tough to get, but I don't think it's impossible. Gattuso's work isn't going unnoticed and I think both Wilshere and Vidal are personalities that would be attracted to Gattuso's character. Plus, in the case of Wilshere there's seemingly already been groundwork laid to try and get him and with Vidal, I believe he's good friends with Bonucci (who said yesterday he thinks we need a couple of top level players).

Beyond that, we need a forward replacement for Kalinic for obvious reasons. Again, I'd like someone coming with a level of guarantees. I think we might find it tough to get someone world class, but at least someone who's quality and brings top level experience.

In the wing positions, as I mentioned the other day I think getting 1 to 2 options is necessary. I'd like to get someone like Verdi for the reasons I've mentioned before. Bear in mind that while the name might not be the most attractive, the last 2 years he's posted numbers very similar to Suso in Italy and would give us much better depth. If Suso is to leave, then as mentioned before I think getting one top young winger would be ideal. 

Finally, it would be all about depth, for example maybe a CB if Musacchio leaves. Previously I suggested just replacing him (or Zapata), but I think the matches vs Arsenal and Juve have highlighted some areas that are more pressing.

I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part
(04-01-2018, 02:19 PM)AC_Troy Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part

Thanks. 

We've apparently shown interest in Ozyakup of Besiktas

https://www.football-italia.net/119317/l...nt-ozyakup

I won't lie I know pretty much nothing about him tbf, but I hope there's nothing to this. I'm starting to worry that with the rumours of Ki Sung Yueng and this guy that we're making the wrong choices in the market and it's almost reminiscent of Galliani at his worst signing the likes of Traore. Seriously, these aren't the names we need nor is it the project that was sold when Fassone and Mirabelli came in last summer. Getting them would be an insult with all due respect.

Also been wondering a little about Depay. It's been heavily rumoured that he's been looked at and he's acknowledged the rumours

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/memphis-d...x3u77x0n5l

I'm wondering if he came whether he'd actually be more successful as a forward than a winger. His finishing can be exceptional and he has qualities similar to what Keita Balde showed during his time at Lazio.

Edit: More Vidal rumours....

https://www.milannews.it/news/tmw-vidal-...cce-290308
To follow up on my post yesterday, I've found out Depay was apparently one of 2 forwards when Netherlands faced Portugal and won (he scored in that match) and yesterday vs Toulouse he was apparently the central striker in a 4-3-3, scoring both goals in a 2-0 win (the match being played just minutes after I posted about him being a forward, maybe Genesio saw my post Big Grin ).

The possible transfer is leaving me more curious now. Also, Tuttosport reports today we want Depay and Vidal, but a lot will depend on UEFA sanctions.